Poll ????...Do you carry a Spare Prop?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes...but I use "Turning Point" props...two piece...hub and blades are separate...I carry a spare prop...And, I keep an entire "Old" prop in my truck...but with the list of what I have in the boat I am described aS "ANAL"...

I wouldn't go out with out either. A spare for the big motor and a spare for the trolling motor. There is nothing worse than a broken prop to cut your trip short.

YES - especially with the upper Potomac at low levels. Also carry a spare nut for the one I will invariably (sp?) drop in the water when swapping props.

Can anyone recommend a place to send my prop for repair? It cost about $120 new. I live in the Washington DC area.

thanks,

David....

David...look into the two piece Turning Point props..."prop" costs about $65...not ever sensible to "repair" one...just replace it...great aluminum cast just like their stainless...

I carry a spare alum prop for the big motor and 2 spares for the trolling motor with 3 extra nylon nutz and plenty of pins.

See ya on the water

Eric H.

Yes, I carry both, motor and trolling motor spare props, and hope I never have to use 'em, but for my peace of mind I have them in case.....

Yep for both and spare nuts to hold them on. Over the years, each has been very beneficial.

Bear

ALWAYS carry a spare prop for your outbaord AND trolling motor....I even usually carry two trolling motor props, one for weeds and one for power....

IF you have a gator mount there should be a spare nut, pins and a wrench in the nose of the mount (the plastic peice farthest to the fron of the boat), in case you didnt know...

Mini

Only a TM prop, but I should carry an extra SS for the big motor!

Well after reading all the responses to this, I don't feel like I wasted money on props for nothing. I was afraid for a minute I was being to overcautious but I guess not....!

No, I don't carry any spare props. I like to live on the edge sometimes. As soon as I mess one up, I'll go to the other extreme. Murphy will catch up to me one day!! I also don't carry 4 spare tires for my truck. I have never ran over the tack strip during a car chase seen on the Fox network!!!

Pierre showed us a plastic prop on Saturday night that is to be used for getting you home. He said that Mercury sells them. I will look into one of them and possibly a spare for the trolling motor.

Bob G.

I'm with you Bob G...

No spares...

I fish mainly small lakes close to home, so not worried...I'm sure if I ever mess up a prop that it will get repaired and become my "spare"...

Do need to get a spare for the TM though...

az

Haven't ever carried either, but probably should. Haven't had a problem yet, but then again, I know my home waters extremely well. steve

I don't yet but I should. I broke a prop last year and it stinks. For a spare I intend to repair the broken one. I think I'll use the money I won in a small tourney on Lake Champlain last weekend...LOL

New Hampshire isn't called the "The Granite State" for nothing. You can be in 20 feet of water with 19 foot diameter boulders that come out of no where. Our lakes are pretty well marked but navigation is still tough.

So in NH, spare props are a must and if you have the room, an extra lower unit may not be a bad idea...LOL

Marke

marine usa in worcester,ma will send your prop out and it will come back as good as new, all for right around 60 dollers!!!

Back