Pics posted for Rob

• Thread starter Bob G. [IMG]http://www.zjstech.net/~library/901/Bi
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob G.

Reaction score
Rob,

Here ya go...You can also save them from my library too.

Bob G.
Big Bass Rob.jpg

Original pic removed for professional reasons!! I added this one instead from a couple of years ago...

I said that my fish was bigger...Rob said that my arms are longer....you decide!!! LOL!!!

Bob G.
P8240849B.JPG

Yea!! Whats with the Shoes??? I detected a Billy Jean's not my girl coming next!!! HAR HAR

Mark

A Shellcracker? Since when is a Shellcracker (especially a small one) worthy of film time!!LOL!!

Good opportunity to ask.......We down South call those Shellcrackers or goggle eyes, what do y'all call them?

TOXIC

Contrary to popular believe, rockbass are good eating and fry up just like a sunfish or bluegill.

Rockbass and Shellcrackers are not the same Tox...This is a Shellcracker(redear sunfish)
Pic7.jpg

I was taught a way to filet sunfish about 30 years ago that I still use today..... Holding the fish by the head - wearing gloves or using a rag to be sure the gill plates don't cut you..... Make a cut down through the fish starting just behind the head to the spine and then score the skin from the cut along the top of the back to the tail on each side of the dorsal fin. Take catfish skinning pliers and skin the bluegill. Finally cut the filets off. It helps to have put the fish on ice first.

Takes less than a minute a fish and you get NO BONES at all! Then you deep fry those little suckers and eat 'em like potato chips! M-m-m-m-m!!

We call those Redear or pumpkinseed sunfish TEE. Of course Rockbass here are Stripers or Rockfish.....The pic of the fish on Rob's are Shellcrackers or Goggle eyes. I have eaten them and they are good. They are always in current or deep water. I fillet them just like any othe fish.

TOXIC

Rock Bass...your confused Tox:) Google and Rockbass ARE the same. Pumpkin Seed is more a memeber of the bluegill family...from what I've read...a Shellcraker is actually a hybrid cross.

Whatever you want to call or classify them.....

They sure are fun to catch on an ultra-lite!!

Just don't let your 5-year old daughter bring the bucket of crickets into the house and let them loose in her bedroom to watch them hop all over........ :)

There's aton of rockbass and smallies in Mad River right close to my house...and YES they are good eatin':)

Those are some of the smaller fish we caught during the FLW. The one guy with the high waters is Dave Washburn, the communications director of the FLW. The other guy is Jeff Schroeder of Pundits Picks, an FLW writer. When I get other film developed, you'll see some BIG fish from that week.

Bass?

FLW??

Big fish???

Who cares!

Whatareyatalkinabout, Rob?

You tryin' ta hijack this thread??

We're talkin' sunfish, bluegill, goggle eyes and rockbass here!!

Ok, you made me go look it up.....Now if this doesn't confuse you nothing will!!

Striped Bass

Common Names: Striper, rockfish, rock.

Redbreast Sunfish

Common Names: Yellowbreast sunfish, redbelly, red throat.

Redear Sunfish

Common Names: Shellcracker

Bluegill

Common Names: Bream, bluegill sunfish, sun perch.

Pumpkinseed

Common Names: Pond perch, sun perch, sunny

Rock Bass

Common Names: Redeye, goggle eye and rock sunfish.

Roanoke Bass

Common Names: Red eye, rock bass.

Flier

Common Names: Round sunfish, millpond flier.

Warmouth

Common Names: Openmouth, warmouth bass, Indian fish.

Green Sunfish

Common Names: Blue sunfish

TOXIC

Niether of those pictures are a "red ear" or a "shell cracker" ...

The first is a "war mouth" "goggle eye" or "rock bass"

Tee's picture is a large sunfish for sure, but not a red- ear..possibly a pumpkinseed.

a red ear has a very distintive red/orange line on the gill flap, and is a little more shaped like the rock bass.

I'll see if I can find a picture...

You can't tell from that pic(scanned)and an Ohio fish too(which is not common) but, there is red around the gill. And a bull(male)bluegill are not shaped like Shellcrackers. O.K.....Now your gonna' make me braek out pic's to prove it:)

Guys.....the pic of Dave is a ROCK BASS....PERIOD! Believe me, I've caught enough to know. If I had a dollar for every one I've caught, I wouldn't ever need any sponsors and would have a dream rig, dream truck, and fish whatever tour I wanted paying my way with Rock bass cash!

And all those bass were caught in an area on day 3 that had been pummled the first two days and we were still fishing behind Randy Blaukat. If Randy had just moved in 200-300 yards, he would have won that tourney hands down.

Guys! Call the stinkin things panfish, fillet em, cook em, eat em and be done with it! An order of fish mcnuggets to go!

Rich D

FWIW-

It's a rock bass. (Rob's pic. from above @ 19:56 ET) And not a bad one at that!

The picture is a RockBass... They are the most caught of any species in Lake Geneva, WI... I should know...

They are "okay" to eat while the weather and water stays cool.... Unlike other sunfish like Crappie and "gills"... heat tend to soften and "sour" their flesh... from warm water they have a musty taste... it has to do with the food base and the algae...

So, Greg..... As you and I are getting older..... You more than I of course..... And our senses diminish..... And we lose our teeth..... Might we just consider these fish to be an alternative to Gerber's?

My teeth are the only part that is holding up... Except for the one some drunk "kicked" out of my head thirty years ago and a few small cavities... they're pretty good... So when you are "gumming" your food I'll still be chewing mine... 'course I won't remember what I ordered...but...LOL

Latest posts

Back