pad to prop help

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bill murphey

Reaction score
ok i have the 898 with 200opti.i just leveled the boat and the motor and measured the prop to be 1" below the pad.this cant be right can it?Im getting good water pressure and about 5650rpms at wot.

Ddi you measure to the center of the propshaft? If so 1" sounds a little high.

James,I just checked mine and it is 3.5 inches below the propshaft center.I would say you were too high.You have water pressure because the newer motors have lower holes for pickup.

I believe you should have @ 3" from pad to propshaft center.........1" will cause the prop to blow-out in any rough water,..and lower than 3" will increase drag,...resulting in lower top end. Rich.....at 3.5" that's fine...I wouldn't bother raising it 1/2"!

James,....deffinitely lower your motor @ 2" anyway!!;)

ok thanks.im sure you know how the bottom of an 898 is made?that big flat spot in the back where you have to crawl up under the boat to get to the plug?i think it sets lower in the water in the back and thought that thats the reason i was getting away with it.

problem solved!dropped it to 2.25"below pad.water pressure shot up to over 20psi.rpms dropped to bout 5400 and i lost 2mph on topend.but holeshot way better

Your pad (running surface) is the index card sized flat spot at the lowest point on your hull. That is where you make straight line measurments in corelation to your prop shaft. Your hull rides only on the pad when out of the hole. If you love your powerhead, you'll keep 12PSI minimum to it, especially in turns. ;)

Latest posts

Back