Old style MotorGuide mounting plate

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firedog978

Reaction score
I ran into a unique problem and hoping someone has dealt with this issue?

I have a 2001 Nitro F & S Sport 175. The original MG trolling motor is still on and working fine. Last season the bow arm section had a piece break out. In this off season (winter), I purchased the new arm and put it on. In doing so, I ran into one problem. The entire swing bracket for the trolling motor, mounts to the 'base plate'. That year the plate was such that it had 4 screws in position from underneath the plate that the swing bracket sat down on to attach it. The screws were almost impossible to prevent from turning in place while I tried to remove the nylon nuts for removing the bracket. That was solved by wedging a large flathead screwdriver between plate and bracket to hold the screws from turning. However, when attempting to put the bracket back on, the same problem of the screws turning proved more difficult. I eventually epoxied them to allow for attaching the bracket. This worked and allowed me to get everything mounted.

Now the main question. When the mounting plate was fully visible with the trolling motor and bracket off, it appeared to be permanately mounted. I saw NO WAY to remove that plate. Along with the 4 screws coming from underneath there were 2 steel pins that appeared to be driven (countersunk)down into the plate to hold it secure. There is no access beneath to drive them up and out. The 4 screws cannot even be removed or replaced because of no access to do so. This plate appears to me to be permanently mounted as is. And, if I should wish to change to a new trolling motor, I am not sure this mounting plate would accomodate doing so. Has anybody ever dealt with this on older style MG trolling motors?

Sorry for the long post and no pics. I should have taken some before re-assembling.

I dont know exactly what you are referring to without pics, but I think you are talking about the quick release mount for the trolling motor that cam on some of the FS boats.

If so, and you dont have access to the back of the fastenters it may have been put on at the fatory BEFORE the cap and hull were mated. If so, your only recourse is to cut an acess hole and cover the hole with a panel. It would probably be a good idea anyway because things come loose on boats. They have to be tightened and you will endup running into this problem again.

If you can take some pics and post them it will help understand what you are up against. And I am certain someone here has seen it before.

I have a similar boat, but can't look at it right now. Maybe when it stops snowing every week!! Post some pics like Mini suggested and maybe we can help you. Don't cut any holes yet until you post some pics.

Latest posts

Back