OK Pat I'm a Believer

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larry Harp

Reaction score
I thought Pat's message the other day regarding bananas on a boat being bad luck was pure baloney....until this weekend. My son and I had planned a trip to McGee Creek,our favorite lake this weekend. It's about 190 miles one way, so when we go there we always camp out and make a weekend out of it. Friday afternoon when I was shopping for steaks and munchies to take on the trip I remembered the topic of bananas on the boat so being the non-superstisious skeptic that I am, I bought a bunch. My plan was to catch a big ol' bass and have Andy take my picture with a bass in one hand and a banana in the other and post it here as proof that a tropical fruit posses no threat.

Here is what happened:

First thing when we start to load the gear in the back of my Jeep the power lock in the hatch just makes a grinding sound and won't unlock the hatch. We have to load everything through the side doors.

After warm sunny weather all week, we arrive at the lake with overcast skies and light rain. That's okay but the threat of storms seems very real. I'm even okay with that; fishing is better right before a storm....right? Wrong. We caught zip. I can't understand why either. The water temp was between 57 and 60 degrees with overcast skies. The pre-spawn bass should be ready to step up to the AYCE buffet. I did have a couple of good strikes but didn't boat anything.

Around 5:30 in the afternoon we started hearing thunder so we head back to the campsite. The sky is now looking very oninous. I try but can't get any weather info on the radio so I call one of the OKC TV stations. The weatherman tells me that we are getting ready to get hammered for the next couple of hours. Rain, hail, high winds, the whole nine yards. We deicide to pull tent pegs and run for it.

By the time I shove Andy off the bank so we can trailer the boat the storm is right on top of us. The *!^$#@ motor won't start. Our campsite was right next to the ramp so Andy uses the trolling motor to get to the dock. I try everything I could think of to start the boat. NOTHING!! It won't even turn over. We get the boat on the trailer with the TM. Andy has to wade in cold water to hook the winch strap and we git'er done. We get out of there and go eat fajitas in the small town near the lake and then head home.

While I was putting the rods and fishfinder ect. away in a driving rain I looked in one of the bins and there are those GD bananas and I think of Pat Goff. I learned my lesson...NO MORE BANANAS ON THE BOAT!!

Harpo

BTW The problem with the motor? Today I was checking fuses and charging the starting battery and thinking that I was going to have to put the boat in the shop. My neighbor comes over and is checking for power at the starter with his tester and doing everything he could think of. He reached over to the ignition switch and when he did his elbow bumped the throttle lever....we both heard the click. The dang thing was not completly in neutral!!! DUUUUHHHHH.

Some people just gott learn the hard way!! Could have been worse Harpo....You could have been in your tent eating those rotten monkey fruit when the storm hit!!

Boat, motor, fishermen all ok...good lesson learned!!LOL

TOXIC

Glad to see that I am not the only camper on this WS. Last time I was tent camping, woke up to a bad storm two nights in a roll. First nite blew the rain fly off and a few tent stakes up. Second nite it blew the boat and anchor into a rocky bank and several tents stakes up. Started looking at used campers after that trip. The weather was nice and sunny during the days. Did not even have any of those dreaded bananas.

Harpo-

I hate to laugh at your misfortune...........but........

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHA!!!!!!!!!!!!

that was great.......

Good story man,

But, that would have happened with or without the bannanas, yes????

Ok, I need help here with this superstition stuff.

Carlos

PS Do nto worry KB, No bannanas on the baot this weekend.....

How about trying with the nanners again next time.......

For Carlos' sake.........

Well, I tell you what. I plan on bringing some to test the theory.

But, as it is a first tiem TEST, I will do it close to home..... HAHAHAHAHHAH

Latest posts

Back