OK 'eye guys....whaaaasup???

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob LaMoy

Reaction score
OK, so Saturday was the walleye opener here in NY. Up to last week it had been cold and I was thinking they were still going to be in the river or just on their way out. It had only been in the mid to high 40's. I know they spawn in water that is 45-47, but last week with the 80 degree weather, the river jumped up to 60, at least on the surface. I didn't graph many fish at all, and we didn't catch a one. Out of probably 40+ boats, most only had 1, maybe 2. The best, another guide I know of, with 3 people in the boat, trolling ALL day, got 3 fish. There was only 2 of us and we trolled for about 3 hours. We did catch a few nice smallies and a couple of pike. The largemouth were staged in force. But that's NOT what I was after. I wanted to FRY something that night.

So, do the eyes move immediately out of the river and head back out to the open lake?

Do they hang around a while or stage on the way back out opposite of coming in like post spawn smallies do?

I trolled Rapala plugs, wally divers, crawler harnesses and even tried a little jigging over some structure. Now I didn't have the ideal eye baits for jigging but used a flat head jig with a worm tail dyed chartreuse. Given everyone else's lack of success, I assume the fish had just vacated.

I caught two small walleys Sunday. Both came from the main body of the lake on crank baits. Your right though, those pesky bass kept biting everything I put on the end of my line. From crankbait too suspending rapala's to tiny crappie tubes. I did get a nice bunch of crappie I found spawning in a creek. Dinner tonight. The walleys usually hang in the river for a short while after spawing, but this year they finished early and had already moved back into the main lake.

So Jim, you know the Chazy River. You think there back out in King's bay, or in that hole right at the mouth in the channel that drops to 17 feet? There didn't appear to be much up in the river, just stragglers. They won't be in their summer time spots yet will they? I know a couple of weedlines that I'm GOING TO troll at night at least one time this year. That camera of Buzz's opened up my eyes on 'eyes! Good one...get it....Haaaa!

You know the two inlets (causeways) right across from Pt Au Roche launch, one is covered the other is open? I have been fishing those for YEARS. I've pulled largemouth, tons of smallies, sheephead, perch, sunnies, pike, etc. Never would have guessed there are literally dozens upon dozens of 'eyes that stage in just this one spot in the middle of the open inlet. EVERY time I went there last summer and dropped the camera, they were there. I wish I had gotten a chance to borrow it again from Buzz for this past weekend. Would have been nice to see what's in that river.

I got a 6lb 4 oz eye out of Monroe Reservoir last Saturday. Caught it with a chartruse stump jumper on an ultralite rod while fishing for crappie. It sure tasted good too!!!!!!

You AIN'T helpin Sammy! LOL

'Lil walleye recipe for ya!

2-3 lbs of fresh fillets

egg wash (egg and milk or condensed milk blended)

dry Liptons instant french onion soup mix

bread crumbs

garlic powder

fresh, strained, clean bacon grease

1 lemon

Dip the fish in the egg wash

mix the onion soup and bread crumbs at about a 3 to 2 ratio or 50/50 if you like. Mix in 1/2 tspn of garlic powder.

Fully coat both sides of the fish in the soup/crumb mix

Fry for 3-5 minutes over med heat in frying pan lightly coated in bacon grease.

Allow to cool, sprinkle fresh squeezed lemon juice over the top and chow!

Even better over an open campfire. Makes a killer shore lunch.

Rob, That sounds delicious. I'll be sure and try it. Never really targeted Walleye before but after last weekend I think I'll give it a try.

Sam - 6lb 4 oz eye WOW!!! Even up in Canada close to 5lbs is the best i've hooked!

Mmmmm, Walleye filets!!! MMMMM

Yeah, a 6 lber is a toad. There was 1 caught about that size this past weekend.

There was about 30+ boats up in the river. I got there at 5:45 and the parking lot was only half full. I remember years ago, if you weren't there at 5:00AM, you had to park out on the main road and there was over 80 boats in that one little hot stretch of river not over a mile long. I called it the "Combat Zone". And everyone would catch fish, and the really good guys would limit out on toads. Somebody would always get an 8 lber and we all chatted and kept tabs on each other as we trolled by each other.

I suspect Rob, the majority of walleys were suspended out from the mouth of the river. I would have gone out and fished that outer shoal where it drops to the main channel.

I would have also hit the first major points left and right of the river. The ones I caught where in 5 ft. of water.

Walleye Recipe:

In northern Minnesota we have found that walleye being the delicate flavored fish it is should never be drowned in seasoning.

Egg wash

flour

peanut oil

spice classics lemon pepper

beer

Dip fillets in egg wash and roll in flour.fry in hot peanut oil

sprinkle with lemon pepper after turning.remove from oil and mist ever so lightly with beer. serve immediatly with lemon wedge,Baked beans and fried potatoes w onion

Latest posts

Back