Oil for Mercury 150 hp Motor

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobcat University

Reaction score
Morning folks. I need your assistance. I want to change the lower unit oil on my Mercury 150 hp motor but I don't know what type of oil to use. My boat is a 1997 Nitro 884 Savage. This is my first time changing the lower unit oil, the process appears to be easy. I just don't know what type oil to get. The oil cap says use V6 oil only. I went to purchase the oil but I didn't see any V6 oil. Any info is greatly appreciated.

Merc High Performance Gear Oil...are you looking at what goes in your engine cuz I'm not aware of V6 lower unit oil?

TEE, thanks for the quick response. I guess I ask two questions instead of one. The V6 cap is located at the rear end of the boat on the top, opposite side of the gas cap. All I'm looking for right now is the correct oil I will need to change ONLY the lower unit. I googled and found mercury High Performance Gear Lube. Is that what I should get to change the lower unit only?

Bobcat,......I think you're confusing the remote engine oil fill cap with the lower unit gear lube. The lower unit gear lube cap is on the lower unit......just below the cavitation plate. It's about the size of a dime. You want to use, as TEE said,..."High performance gear lube" in the lower unit........do NOT put it in the oil reservoir that feeds your motor. Gear lube is added and drained via caps on the lower unit ONLY.....it's no way connected to the big motor or the hull. That's for TCW3 motor oil only.

Thanks for the info Mac, I was about to make a mess of things. I've ordered a Mercury 150 hp motor manual but have yet to receive it. I'll be sure to get and do the right thing.

no problem.....glad I caught that before you did the deed.......that would've been a costly error!!

My wife's brother was going to be the Man for his girlfriend when he was in college He changed the oil in the car for her. When he got done it smoked like crazy and wouldn't move. He drained the transmission and over filled the engine. :lol:

Gene

holy shiskabob bobcat !:blink::huh:

i think you better not be the mechanic for your boat you better get a pro.

to do any thing to your boat.

if your freinds lifes are at stake not to mention your own. you obviously

have to learn alot before such an undertaking.

uh sir step away from the toolbox and no one will get hurt.;):lol:

Good for you Bobcat!!! This is where you come to learn. Just make sure you get the answers before you start turning wrenches. These folks on this board are great.

Well guys I changed the lower gear unit oil out and I had no problems. Thanks for the advice Joe, there are some things that I don't attempt to repair on my boat. Actually I'm a pretty good mechanic, I had never changed the lower gear unit oil before. I'm on the lake this afternoon guys. Here I come crappie and bass!

The best mechanic for older motors in SA, is Wayne Tauer at the 'Boat Shop'. I can not tell you how many times he has saved my backside. He's out in the Schretz Universal City area.

Latest posts

Back