NX882 Set-Up ????

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Derek Guffey

Reaction score
I just got a new to me 2004 NX882 Mercury XR6 with 109 hours a couple months ago and was just wanting to see what kind of prop set ups some other guys were running. Mine has a 21" laser2 and the prop to pad is 5 inches. I am getting 59-61mph (GPS) at about 57-5800 rpms. I have read alot of people running a 23" and 3" engine height but that would put me in the last whole on my jackplate so just curious for opinions would it be worth the cash for a different prop and the time to raise the engine or is my set-up pretty close to getting the same result?

When i had mine i ran it with a 23 tempest and the motor at 2/5" below pad. That combo gave me the best combo of speed and holeshot. The 882 really like a bow lifting prop and the tempest gives a lot of lift. The 23 tempest is the prop Nitro fitted from the factory on the 882. I also had mine blueprinted and cupped for more lift.

5" is way too low for that hull, i bet you have a good bit of torque steer and your hoelshot may be suffering too.

Personaly i would think it would be worth the money to get it dialed in right.

Ok thanks for the input. I do have some pretty good torque steer but hole shot doesn't seem too bad. In order to get that kind of engine height were you on the highest hole in the jackplate? Mine is currently as high as possible until I can take the engine off and go up another hole.

I was in the top hole on the plate and all the way up on the motor. It was as high as i could get it with the factory plate. So bottom hole on the motor top hole on the plate for me.

When i got mien it was at 5" as well and the torque steer was so bad it could tear the wheel out of your hands. Moving the motor up helped that a bunch.

Two other things. If you decide to ever change jackplates you will need to get wedges to maintain the negative tuck that the factory one has. The other id dont waste your time with a 4 bladed prop. I played with these heavily on mine and the hull just does not do well with a stern lifting prop.

Ok thanks that helps alot. I'm chomping at the bit wanting to raise the engine for sure now. But afraid I'll get too many RPM's with the 21" prop. I also tried a 4 blade and did not like it at all.

I am running a 99' Nitro NX 882 with a Mercury 23 tempest. Ive got the jackplate all the way up and the motor mounted in the bottom holes. On a slick day I can only manage 58-59 mph at best.

Hmm I was kinda expecting a little more top speed than that with a 23 pitch? Is there any difference in hulls from 99 to 04?

The funny thing is the guy I bought it from told me it would run 74 on his GPS...... he also told me the motor was raised as high as it would go when actually it was just the opposite. He had it lowered all the way.

There are a few guys who claim their 150 run 70mph. I don't believe it. I have 05 nx 882 with 23p it will run 61 mph.

Man hearing this about the top speeds, I may hold off on the prop and just raise my engine height before spending any cash for a prop (That is if my RPM's don't climb too much). I am between 59 and 61mph now according to Lowrance HDS5 Gen1 and Gen2 and both read the same speed.

Mine would run 63 with two guys and a full load ready to fish, empty(as in no gear at all) it would run 65. There just isnt much more in a 150 than that. I thought i had mine dialed in pretty good, the holeshot was great and it carried a full load nicely.

krimsonnation something isnt right with your setup, how many rpm's are you turning? I wonder if your prop is beat up or has been reworked poorly.Is the pad all beat up? Both of those will have an effect on speed.

Mine runs around 5600-5800 rpm's at top speed, which is 58-60 depending on the water and gear I have loaded up.

If you have good hole shot and running 60mph+ I would leave it alone your not gonna much more out of it.

The way mine is setup now I can't trim the motor but to halway on the trim gauge without it chine walking all over the place. Also is there some type of sensor that keeps you from trimming the prop completely out of the water? Mine stops trimming at exactly halfway on the gauge, but like I said by then its all over the place.

My 929 never got 1/4 if the trim. Anything beyond that decreased performance. Trim is not meant to as far as the gauge says, you trim it to proper performance and then stop (bumping up and down for conditions, turns, etc.). It's different on different boats thus the ability to go higher. No your motor will not come out of the water. That is the function of the "tilt" which starts where the "trim" stops. You should be able to tell very easily when you are trimmed right by wheel torque, engine RPM's, roostertail, hull lift and speed. Your hull is walking because you have trimmed too far and your engine can no longer keep it on pad with the amount of trim you set it at. With high performance boats this condition happens as well but they have the motors to push through the condition. While it's not correct to say you can drive through it, you have to have more motor or there's nothing you can do.

Latest posts

Back