nx 750 torque steer

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Moss

Reaction score
Took my new 750 out for the first time.Even with the double oil the 115 pulls strong enough for me.The only problem I encountered was a strong pull to the right.I have a stingray stabilizer with torque fins on the bottom.I adjusted them to the next hole which puts it at 20 deg.I hope this helps.If anyone has any more ideas let me know?

This has nothing to do with adjusting a Stingray or trim tabs. The torque pull you are feeling is because the rack steering system that came stock on your boat does not have a NFB(No Feeback)helm. I learned all about this when I got my boat last year and the helm change(about $100)from what I can remember,did the trick. I can't believe Nitro even sends out inadequate steering systems like this. I think they're opening themselves to potential lawsuits,because the torque pull on the steering wheels thats felt without the NFB helm could cause an accident.

I have a 2004 750 and the only time there is any measurable amount of torque pull is if I am trimmed down to low. As soon as my boat comes on plane I trim up and its fine, no torque pull to either left or right. Does the 2004 750 have the NFB installed already?

John (Bassyankee),

I have a 188 Sport which suffers from the same problem and think it does not have an NFB helm. Did the $100 include parts and labor or did you install it yourself? If you installed it, how difficult was it?

Thanks

Paul

Paul i did the same thing on my 882. its a pretty easy job if you have rack and pinion steering. three bolts hold the helm to the dash and 4 hold the rack to the helm. The part coses like 100 bucks. If it has rotary steering the job is a bit more difficult. If you install the nfb helm you will be shocked at the difference, its like driving a whole different boat.

Nitro isnt the only one who dosent install nfb systems on cable driven steering systems. Two guys in my club have Tritons that do not have it, one is a tr176 the other a tr186. A friend of mine also didnt get it in his Ranger sport r72, i have also seen it in others as well. Why boat makers dont install nfb as a standard really boggles me it dosent cost that much and id bet most boat owners would gladly pay the difference. When i first got my old 16' champion it came factory with nfb and i became so used to it that when i got my 882 i was totally shocked by the torque on the wheel. At wot it was almost impossible to control the wheel if you had to take a hand off to adjust throttle or trim. And on take off that 150 would want to rip the wheel out of my hand.

I just replaced the rotary steering helm on my Pt185 90 hp with NFB. It was a bit greasy but not all that difficult. Had to move some wiring harnesses out of the way and reconnect.

I haven't had the chance to try it out yet but there sure is a big difference with the feel of the wheel. Definitely somewhat harder to turn in the free state & can't turn the motor no more without using the wheel. The job only took about and hour to do and only needed an extra set of hands one time to hold the helm in place while I started the last mounting bolt. But it was worth the effort to get rid of the torq. Carl

That sounds like what the problems is.Man this thing is turning into a real money pit.For what it cost you think it would come with it.But they should at the very least offer it as an option.That explains alot.My othere and only boat was a pc175 with a 40 on it.It went straight with no steering problems at all.On the othere side it didnt have a lot of power either.Where is the best place to get the nfb steering box?

I did some research on the Teleflex website to determine what NFB helm and mounting kit I needed for a direct conversion. Then went to Ebay and kept watching. Within a few weeks found exactly what I needed for $20 brand new. Normally this helm goes for about $75.

I have seen them at places like cabelas but the offer different set ups.The cheapest was 149 but its rated for 50mph or less.The othere one they offer is 189 teleflex 2.Seems like it is better quality.they state as long as your going in a straight line you will not feel the torque steer but when you turn you will feel it some.Is this true? I think mine is the rotary.Will it pretty much be a direct bolt in as far as you know?Thanks for the information Guys.Im not that great a swimmer as it is and the last thing I need is to be ejected going 50mph.Thanks for all your help!

Even though I have yet to actually use it, you are correct from what I read. "With NFB Steering, you only encounter steering loads when your actively changing course. When your not turning the wheel the clutch mechanism automatically engages and feedback is locked out. Once you begin to turn the wheel again, the clutch disengages until you complete your course change, then it will automatically engage and lock out feed back again." It is here where the feedback will return but I have no idea yet on how much.

It also states that "It is possible to overtrim the engine and increase the steering torque to the point that the steering wheel cannot be turned. Even though the torque is not felt at the wheel this may give the impression that the steering is "locked". This condition can occur more when jack plates are used to raise the engine on the transom, and can only be overcome by reducing boat speed or engine trim out position."

It is very important to make sure you get a NFB replacement helm or new system that is rated for your horsepower. All I had to do was take out the old helm and mounting hardware and add the new stuff. No new holes to drill or anything. My system was the newer QC (quick connect) system, so I made sure to get the QC NFB helm and mouning kit for it. You can go browse thru teleflex.com website. There is a lot of info there that may help you. Carl

Ruger -

Work with your trim a bit first..... I had the Nitro prior to the 750 - a Nitro 180 with a 115 Merc. For just a 4-cylinder, it sure generated a lot of torque when it wasn't trimmed out properly. Once I figured out what I was doing, there really was no need for any changes in the steering system.

me!

"It ain't the arrow, it's the indian!" - Pat Goff

You need this helm change my man regardless of a few posters here. You can't get just the helm alone through Cabela's or Bass Pro, they sell full systems only.I don't remember who I bought it off, sorry. I know its not real hard to install. Steering wheel comes off and then three bolts hold the helm. New piece slides right over existing rack. John. P.S. Try putting Teleflex into a search engine and you should find parts dealer!!!

Me! that may be true for your boat but it sure wasnt for mine. I could hardly hold onto it at 60+ mph. If i wanted to go wide open it was all this 240# guy could do to hold onto it. It sure didnt feel safe with that setup.

The fact that the boats should come with it standard is what really bothers me. read the comments from teleflex below on the non nfb system.

"Applications:

Virtually all power-assisted stern drive boats with wheels

up to 16

well i can tell you my buddy's new triton tr 176 that also does not have a nfb help pulls almost as bad as mine did at wot. He has a 115 evinrude on it. its not the trim becaue at wide open you are trimmed as far as it will go. yea trimming back to cure some torque is an option but not if you want to go as fast as the boat is capable of going.

If you have a prop that bites good you will have torque and the helm will help. Before my buddy got that triton he had a pt 185 with a 90 that he upgraded becaue the torque was pretty bad after he upgraded his prop.

The only reason I changed my helm to NFB was to get max performance from what I have. I could get another 200+ rpm

from my 90 hp. at WOT, max trim and no change in water PSI. The problem here was that it took way too much effort to hold the wheel and if you ever lost it your gone!

If I just left things status quo I could trim out the torq but never would be able to get full performance. I know I don't have a powerhouse here, but sometimes we get "anal" to acheive the best from what we have. Carl

Exactly Carl. There is also a measure of saftey involved if you boat in rough water as well. If you have ever been in real nasty stuff where you cant possible trim out to neutral trim or run full bore a nfb helm can be a lifesaver. If the prop looses bite with the water or looses contact with the water when that prop hooks back up the torque to the right can be extremely voilent and want to rip the wheel out of your hands. A nfb help will cure this problem as well.

the bottom line is for what the helm costs and the benefit it adds they should come stock.

I looked at the helm today.Its a rack and pinion teleflex.Its sealed to the cable.I went to their website and you have to replace the whole system on mine.Cheapest thing they could find to put on the boat.The pc175 had the same steering system and max motor was a 75hp.I guess the dont care if you get killed as long as you do it in one of their boats!I would have gladly paid another 100 bucks or so for the proper steering system and not have to deal with it now.At least I didnt find out the hard way.The list two different systems with single cable.One for up to v4 and up to 50mph.The othere is up to v6 and 50mph.I know the boat will go a little faster than 50mph.If anyone has an ideas on which system to get let me know.Im kinda new at this.Installing it wont be a problem I just want to make sure a get one strong enough to take care of the problem.Id like to thank each and everyone of you for your quick response.The fish are coming on down here and i want to get this thing sorted out as soon as I can.

Rugerm44, take a closer look at that setup. the rack itself(rectangular part) is a part of the cable but the helm itself should be detachable. and the helm is all you need. It is held on with 4 bolts and it will detach. The bolts will be on the alum helm hliding it to the rack. Take a close look and you will see what i mean. if you go to teleflex's website they have a parts breakdown as well.

I think the helm you may need is available on Ebay. You may want to check it out. This is being offered from the same place I bought mine. Go to ebay and enter 2472352111 in the search box. If you look, the round part in front of the gear is the clutch mechanism for NFB.

Jim B I think I know what your talking about.The rack comes apart from the steering shaft in some pictures I just looked at.I am calling bps and see If they have what I need.I am going to look on ebay like carl said too.Man thanks a bunch guys> I realy like the boat.Just want to get rid of the bad habit it has!

The helm you need is a Teleflex SH5230. Boatfix.com has them for $80 I believe.

I have the same problem with my nx750. So the part I need is the Teleflex SH5230?????? I just want to make sure its for the NX750 single cable steering. I havent had a chance to research the teleflex web site yet.

Thanks,

Mark

Latest posts

Back