Steering torque

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Brone

Reaction score
Hey y'all. My 750/115 is pulling hard to the right at WOT.

My skeg is slightly bent to the left from an obstruction I hit last year on the Miss. The bend is very slight. could that be causing that much steering torque? I know I can adjust my torque tab. If I'm pulling to the right, which direction do I turn the back of the tab? Thanks, Jim N

Jim - Its that 115 that's causing your problem, come on over to Canton, i'll swap you straight up for my 40 Merc and you will have NO torque steer on the 750!!! LOL

Sorry, could NOT resist!!

We'll have to wait for someone with a bigger motor or experience to help!

Yes. You need to take the hook out of your skeg. I advise a marine shop to do this for you. You can heat it up slightly and tap it out yourself in minor instances. However, I strongly suggest a shop do it for you if you are at all uncertain.

To adjust your tab, turn it to the left side (counter-clockwise looking up from the ground). Use minor 1/4" adjustments that direction until counter torque is equalled (or reduced to you desire). It may or may not have any impact, depending on the bend of your skeg. Good luck!

Added text: counter-clockwise

Thanks guys.

Hey Trep, I had a 40 Merc before this one. I loved that engine. It was a real work horse. I once towed a stranded runabout 13 miles back to the ramp. The guy was amazed that we were doing 20 MPH the whole way!

I also did real well in bass tournaments in that 15 foot Smoker Craft. Maybe I should go back. I gotta figure out which element of the fishing I sold off with that boat.

My directions just look "clear as mud". If your tab is in the center: You'll want to move it slightly right, looking down at it. (/)

Back