Not a Boat dealer but WHAT great service!!

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrepMan

Reaction score
Ok, this is for a car repair/tire dealer but had to post it. My wagon's got 78,000 miles on her (I bought her used at CarMax with 45,000 miles and had brand new brakes and slightly used tires). I noticed the last few weeks the tell-tale squeek of brakes wearing and the brake light started comming on after stopping. So I WAS going to take it to a national chain Brake only shop, but Beka had heard a number of stories on the radio about those shops (that brand at least) racking up extra costs. So I tried Kauffman Tire here in Woodstock. Explained the brake issue and asked for a price on 4 new Pirelli P400 tires for the wagon (I know WAY overkill but supposed to be a good wet traction tire and it was on sale!). Anyway dropped the wagon off last night expecting a call this morning for a $200+ brake job.

Well... The service guy calls and says "what kind of noise did you hear on your brakes? 'cause you've got about 40% of all 4 brake pads/shoes left and the whole brake system look in great order. We've cleaned out the rotors, bled the system and topped off your brake fluid, that's why your light came on. Total is $39.90 and your car will be ready in 20 minutes" WOW was I shocked! I've NEVER had a shop tell me I didn't need brakes when I took it in for that!! SO, with a price of $300 installed/road hazard, tax... for the 4 Pirelli's I told him to do the tires and he said we'd be good to go at noon!!

So, we get new tires (which were sorely needed), check on the brake system and found a reliable trustworthy shop near the house!

Trep

Good story. But what are you doing spending money on tires, when you could be spending it on fishing gear????

Haven't been to BPS in about 2 weeks, so took a run by while at the other facility this morning. Made a modest cash donation, ate some great nacho's at On The Border, and now back at the grind.

Tex

Tex - With the wagon as the tow vehicle if she doesn't have tires no FISHING!!! LOL

Hey, Trepman reads Consumers Reports. I have those same tires on my van. A good choice. Wish I knew about a shop like that around me.

david......

David - We have gotten Consumer Reports for about 15 years! Funny this time we completely forgot to look and took the Tire guy's word for it. Glad you confirmed his suggesitons!!

Just picked up the wagon, front end alignment (REALLY needed) plus the tires out the door $357 and they did NOT charge me a dime to check, bleed and top off the brake system!! I will DEFINETLY bring more business back their way!

Mark - Sounds like JUST the kind of marine shop we all need!

There is nothing like having a good honest mechanic/garage!

Rich D

Good find Trep.

Now send all your buddies there,and have them tell the mechanic who sent them and why.

There is a front end alignment shop in my town,and if you ask anybody in the next three towns where to go,they will send you to this shop.He has no signs,or ads,it's all word of mouth from years of good honest service.

Back