No power at ignition

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Lesko

Reaction score

Finally got my 11 Z7 home Monday. Put it in the water at the dealer the trim gauge was off. The mech tried to adjust it and it quit working. They put another ground strap on the motor after calling Nitro thinking the grounds didn't get taped off well enough when painted. seemed to be fine. Brought it home, put it in garage. went out there today, turned the key on to see how the dimmer switch worked and no power at the ignition. Also no power at the trim on the throttle or up front on the bow but it works fine on the motor. power good to the fuse block when the power switch is on. Tried tapping the motor over with key and nothing. Any help would be appreciated, I'm p!$$ed and the dealer is a two hour drive away. Hate that this is happening but I'd rather try to find it then spend 60.00 in gas and wait another week before I can get there

i would by no means pay for the fuel to repair and unsatisfactory condition with your brand new boat.

you need to ask the service manager to pick up your boat and repair any electrical problems.

here in mass we have a lemon law to protect consumers from dealers . i dont know how it is were you are from but a threat to go up the ladder to corprate will usualy do the trick.

if not then actualy call corprate, but they should bend over backwards to kiss you behind.

if i were running a dealership i would not want it known that i was delivering boats that were not fully ready for the water.

some tone of how disatisfied you are and an indication that they could earn some good will

and respect if they backed there work might help get what you want.

Take a look at the harness plug. I would unplug it and reseat and see what happens. Check battery connections also. Let us know what happens.

baitbar, which harness plug are you referring to and where would it be? checked all the connections behind the dash,checked all fuses on motor no power to the ignition system circuit or the ecm circuit fuses. I would believe these should be powered all the time.

There is a harness in the motor and one under the dash, I would try both. Does the trim switch on the motor work?

When you check the harness under the cowl make sure both halves are tightly zip tied together. That and the other suggestions are pretty thorough; battery connections, fuses, breakers, relays, kill switch, are some other areas to note and prone to exhibit similar results. Let us know and good luck! ;)

Fats..........I did check the fuse box under the dash, and yes trim switch works on the motor just no power to the other two switches.

BF.........I can see needing neutral to start the motor but it shouldn't need neutral to bring the dash alive should it?

Thanks for all the help

I was thinking the kill switch but then again that shouldn't have anything to do with power to the trim switches....need a dam schematic

Ok guys this should be fairly simple, if all you lost is ignition power,as in the gauges and trim, i assume your lights and pmps are working in the boat, there is one harness that comes into the boat for that, from the motor, to the shifter/dash cluster, the fuses in the motor should not have anything to do with it, if the trim on the motor is working, it will be a connector as mentioned before, there is one large connector under the cowl, and i beleive one in the shifter area, and likely one at the ignition switch, there are normally i beleive 4 wires that split off that to run to the front trim switches....im betting you have one of the larger harness plugs not locked as you have been told, just to trace the wiring and find the culprit

brand new boat never been on the water?

call the dealer make him find the problem and teach the tech that messed up.

i would take nothing apart on a new rig. not that i'm not an able mechanic but

it is the dealers responsililty and i would not let them off the hook that easy

if you go to far at any point you could void the warrenty not good.

Dealer mech found a pin not fully seated in connector.....back in business. Thanks for the input.

Latest posts

Back