Nitro Stringers?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My 92 180 tf did not. There was plywood in the built up area that the fuel tank sat on and what made the bilge sump. But not like a 2x6 running perpendicular to the transom. I have some pics in my transom rot thread.

Thanks, I removed the screws holding in a transducer and water seeped out. Put a wire in and it was mush, but the transom isn't flexing when I bounce the motor. Also under the battery one of the screw holes is stripped and I can push a wire about 4-5 inches down and it brought up some brown mush again. I was worried the stringers may be affected if they are made of wood...

You shouldn't be able to insert a wire into it any screw hole and see brown mush. If the mush is wet, then you have water infiltration somewhere and the wood is rotting. It's only a matter of time before the wood fully fails. Usually, there is a metal cap on top of the transom or some type of material to finish the transom. Remove the screws holding the transom and insert a wire into the holes. If the transom is solid, you won't be able to penetrate the transom. When you insert the wire and it feels soft and/or comes out wet, the transom is showing signs of rot. The extent of transom rot can be determined by how far you can insert the wire.

Where are you in Tennessee? I live in Chattanooga.

Sounds like what I went through. I have a thread on my rotten transom. It is a lot of work but doable with a little know how. SeaCast is what I used. I also added four stringers to make it stronger.

I'm hoping that it will give me a few years on the water before I have to replace the transom. My main concern was if the stringers were toast it would be unsafe. I can jump on the motor and it doesn't look like the transom is flexing at all but I'll try the wire test.

I tried to pull the metal cap off the transom but it wouldn't come off. Need something to pry it off with. I did try inserting a thin wire through the screwholes of the cap. On the port side the screw on top farthest from the motor, the wire went down about 4 inches and the one nearest about an inch. It was about 3 inches and 1 inch on the starboard side. The holes that were weeping water and brown mush were at the bottom where the transducers were mounted.

I tried to pull the metal cap off the transom but it wouldn't come off. Need something to pry it off with. I did try inserting a thin wire through the screwholes of the cap. On the port side the screw on top farthest from the motor, the wire went down about 4 inches and the one nearest about an inch. It was about 3 inches and 1 inch on the starboard side. The holes that were weeping water and brown mush were at the bottom where the transducers were mounted.

I hate to break it to you but that sounds like a rotten transom. My motor didn't flex either. Sorry bro.

After I got into it there was just enough wood to keep the transom stiff. It was only a matter of time and I could have got hurt or worse. What you have described is exactly what mine was like. I took the speedo probe off and brown water came out the screw holes. Stuck a probe wire in that was seven inches long and never it anything solid in the transom cap outside screw holes. The holes next to the motor went in about 2 inches but came out wet.

If I can help walk you through what I did I would be more than happy to. If we are not to far apart I would be willing to come to you.

Direct message me if interested.

Latest posts

Back