nitro 929 hull damage

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KEITH MARTIN

Reaction score
I own a 2001 929 cdx that recently developed hull damage. Typical use in 2-3 ft waves nothing out of the ordinary. When I got back to the ramp I noticed from the tip of the bow and about 6' down the port side and a little on the starboard side the top cap seperated from the hull! Screws were sheared and fiberglass was tore (pretty nasty looking, looks major!). It actually looks like a stringer let go and the hull sprung out on the one side. Has anyone experienced or heard of this happening and if you have what can I expect as far as service or any warranty issues from Tracker? Sounds like my season is over, anyone need a good tournament partner?

This has been known to happen from time to time. All of the MI state team guys run 929's on St. Clair. Before the first trip out they "St. Clair Proof" their boats.

This means that they pull off the rub rail, remove the original factory installed screws ( 1" screws about every 36" apart). Then they go around install 2" screws about every 12" apart.

I think in your case, the boat definitely needs to go back to the factory. When the new one comes back you may want to add a few more screws.

The top cap is held on by 1" screws 36" apart? Another reason to go all welded tin? ;)

TEE

Oooooooh that hurt! Nah seriously...Typical use in 3 footers ? Tell that to a boat manufacturer and see what they say about warranty work.

TEE

LOL....Tracker does need to beef up those screws though....there's so much flex in that cap/hull assembly, that it breaks those 1" screws in a 1 foot chop!! When I replaced the screws in my 901, I bet 80% of those original screws were broken! I replaced them ALL with 2" SS #12 screws...never had a problem after that.

hmmmm....

So, this is yet another thing I should check?

How hard is it to remove that rub rail, and more importantly, how hard to put it back on?

We've been on Cubmerland a couple of times with some fairly heavy chop, probably not as bad as Clair, but rough nonetheless.

Just curious now.

It's easy to remove and easy to put back on,...just don't remove the inner part (that's what cover's the screw heads)all at once,...I just did about 2ft at a time....use a small screw driver to pop out the center of the rub rail..pull it out,..replace the screws and then reinstall the center merely by pushing it back in with your thumb. It's easier to do, than it is to explain!!..LOL!! You'll figure it out Sim,..you KY folks are a wiley bunch!!!ahaha

I'm really findin' hard to believe that it's held together with screws? I had no idea...I thought it was all one piece of fiberglass...or is that just the Nitro's that are the exception?

TEE

It's also good when you're replacing the screws to put a dab of silicone on each so they don't vibrate back out. My TF constantly had screws loosening up until I did that. Also did it on Buzz's 896. It won't stop it entirely but will slow it down a lot.

Looks like I get to do some maintenance, of the preventative type now!! Good information.

Carlos

While your at it, add additional restraints to your battery trays and fuel tank. Then put extra support underneith your livewells. Especially support the gaurdian livewells with the splash proof baffles, they stretch like an acordian. (Note: The 2003 9 Series no longer have this livewell design)

Then you'll have a Michigan State Team "St. Clair Edition" Nitro.

If you feel really aggressive, you can completely fill it with foam. Then you'll have a Ranger...LOL

Marke,

No need for me to really do the livewell deal. I do nto put water in em. I do the catch and release. I am the only one in the family that likes fish.

Good idea on the battery and the fuel tank, though. Easy to do and as the River can get rough (right Tox?) seems like a good idea.

Carlos

Well went and bought the #12 SS screws because of what I read on here tonight so I could replace them. When I pulled off my rub rail I noticed that mine were placed 6" apart all the way around, just replaced all of them with the bigger screws..Mine is a 2002 929, I'm sure that they are placed only 6" apart on all of the newer boats.

Good job Mike....if they're already 6" apart,...just put in the longer ones...no need to add more! (Although a few extra's around the bow certainly won't hurt!! That's where the most serious hull/cap seperations usually start!!)

Add the silicone into each screw hole like Rob suggested and you'll be good to go!! A little "preventive maintenance" goes a loooong way!!

Mac

Keith, if they give you a new boat, you're most welcome to take my 99 911 out for a spin :)

thanks for the replies.. some good feedback.. except the Ranger owners. One ? for them..what are ya doing on a nitro owners website??? I looked at Rangers also before buying, (LOL)but I figured making sure my family had food and clothes was still #1 priority. I noticed that the screws were already 6" apart also but pretty thin. Sometimes to many screws aren't such a good thing either but going to a larger dia would be beneficial. All and all I have no regrets about my 929, hopefully I'll be able to say that about Tracker service and their warranties.Has anyone had a problem (warranty / service) with this kind of issue?

Thanks

All of the Ranger boys were once NITRO guys and just couldn't stand to leave us!! In reality you won't find a better site for honest exchange of ideas and help. We are all like a big family...and we do not exclude any brand of boat. Anybody who wants to play by our rules is welcome. No bashing, bad mouthing, etc., and a lot of humor, fun and information. You're gonna like it here if you decide to stay. Personally I welcome another GLASS BOAT!!! WOOOOHOOOO!!.....sorry, that is a long running thing here....

Who is your dealer? Keep us posted. Unless they are real jerks, it's hard to dispute #1 you have a problem and #2 they need to fix it. Tracker/NITRO monitors this board occasionally and will chime in if necessary.

TOXIC

AND, if you REALLY want to appreciate this board and the people on it, just spend an hour or two surfing some of the other boards and reading the reply's to the posts. It's incredible how many jerks are out there......

Except the Ranger owners??!!....Brutal!! LOL Like Tox said,...most of us have owned SEVERAL Nitro's before....I had 7 or 8 of them myself BEFORE I switched brands...due to an opportunity that was too good to turn down. I know Nitro's inside and out....had 1900DC's, 2000DC's, 896's and a 901. When I chime in,...it's based on past experiences, not as an opportunity to promote one product over another.

We'll help you with any questions you have...hopefully! LOL

Mac

Ya gotta take the bad with the good Mac!!LOL There's a lot of history you have to climb over running that Ragger!!LOL The guys at the ramp make it harder every day!!

TOXIC

Guys,

I truly apreciate the comments and sugestions. Just had to get in my zings also.

Toxic,

My dealer is bass pro in Gurnee Illinois, the manager who handles sales and service (Russ) is a good guy and pretty responsive to any issues. So we will see.

Mac,

Pretty cool artwork, what's the story?

Keith,

I work out of Vernon Hills (CDW) and live in Kenosha....where do you fish? I have used the Gurnee BPS store as well and have been taken care of well. good luck!

--Corey

It's a long one Keith!! LOL...I've been drawing "Scales and Tales" for over 12yrs.....it's going world wide now and we'll be merchandising all kinds of new stuff in retailers all over the country. I'll be able to tell everyone a little more after the Classic this weekend,......I'm meeting with some folks to finalize some stuff.....after that,..I'll tell all!! Thanks for the interest!!

Mac

Corey,

Its a small world. I work right down the road from you. Contempo Design in Libertyville, just had a few of your folks from CDW in our facility yesterday. Actually just bought a place in Harbor Park (Kenosha) and will be moving in the fall. I fish anywhere within 3-4 hrs drive on the weekends, tourneys on Geneva, shelbyville, calumet (great smallies!) you name it (looks like I won't be doing much of anything for a while). How's the fishing in kenosha? Looks like the harbor area could be good at times. Nice rig..

Mac,

Kinda interested in the deck embroidery.

Does anybody actually work???

Work???? Sure... When we're not fishin', riding around in the boat, working on the boat, or talking about the boat on the board..... In fact, I'm going to do a few minutes worth right now.... Maybe..

Very cool...I fish mainly Geneva, Winneconne, Shelbyville ect. Kenosha Harbor and the surrounding area can be OK but the real Smallmouth action as you said seems to be around the Chicago lakefront. Kenosha is a nice town, you will like it....lots closer to geneva for you too!

Ain't no fish in Winneconnie besides, you can't get ther from here.....and the master of the 2oz. hookset is unavailable.

TOXIC

Latest posts

Back