Nitro 482/Z6 Owners with 115 Opti's Question

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larry Mercer

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I am new to the web site so first off I would like to say hi to everyone. I have been reading the posts on the forum for the past couple of weeks and I have really have learned a lot from reading them, and especially about Nitro boats in general. I have had many bass boats over the past 30+ years and this is my first Nitro. I really like the boat, the quality, very well designed, and more storage room than I know what to do with... Can't believe I actually just said that...:rolleyes:

Heres my setup: 2008 482 SC with 115 Optimax, 21p Laser II prop with medium plugs.

Anyway, I know this issue has been beat to death from the posts that I have read, but I am having the same issues with my 482 leaning or listing to the right side until it is on the pad. What I would like to ask is the pad height that everyone with the 482's or Z6's are running? Or how far their motors are hung above the transom? Reading the other posts on the Z7's, Z8's, etc. they seem to be running a lot less pad height than I have on my 482. But that may be because of a different hull design, so that is why I am asking. I have been to the local Tracker dealer and they looked up the setup info on the computer and said that my motor was hung at the right height which is the 2nd hole from the top and is set about 7/8" above the top of the transom. Also, they claim to have no knowledge of this issue with this model. Somehow, that didn't surprise me much, and basically, they just didn't want to talk about it any more. With all of the folks out there with the listing or leaning issues on this particular hull, I have not found anyone that addressed the pad height issue. I have never owned a boat that leans like this one does and it puzzles me as to why. If I load everything left and move the battery left then it leans left. Had the wife with me in the boat today and unless you are on the pad (which scares her to death) it would one time lean hard left, and the next time it would lean hard right. Guess that means that I am right on the proper balance point. I know how to make this never show up by trimming up as soon as the front starts down out of the hole shot and going straight to the pad. With me by myself it is not an issue. My problem is the wife, she does not like anything over 30 mph, it scares her. She has always been like that and I respect her fear as it is very very real. She is not scared of boats or the water, just going fast. So this boat is always leaning hard to one side or the other and that now scares her. Again, 35 mph and up on the pad, all is level and boat runs fantastic and rides rough water very well for this size of boat.

Was just curious if anyone has played with the pad height to see if it resolved this issue. Thanks in advance and sorry to be so long winded...

Hey Larry,

I'm new to the site and saw your post. I have a 2006 482 with 115 Optimax. I have the very same problem as you do.....it really amazes me how the boat pulls to the right until I'm going fast and it's planed out. I have a 22P Laser II prop. My motor is also mounted in the same place as yours.......I didn't see any replies to your post....have you worked anything out?

Bob

Bob,

Thanks for the feedback on your motor height. I have tried several different things so far, but with not much success. My boat is not really pulling right or left, it is leaning or listing to the right or left, depending on how it is loaded. As for replies to my post, I just posted it a few hours ago so most folks haven't had a chance to see it yet. There are numerous posts on this issue that different folks have posted, and different recommended fixes. But no one has mentioned the pad height as a fix so I didn't know if raising the motor would help or make it worse, so that is why I was posting it. You might want to do a search on this topic and read them as I would guess there are probably at least 8 or 10 posts on this topic with the 482's and Z6's in just the last year alone. That is as far back as I have gone so far. This site is great reading and an invaluable source for learning and help with just about anything for boats or fishing or equipment. Thanks again....

Larry

My 750 does this a little too, but not bad, I learned how to trim it as it comes out and I don't even notice it now.

My 2001 700LXDC does the same thing. It doesn't bother me much since I trim up and it corrects itself, but it would be nice if the boat just didn't do it at all. Sorry, I haven't figured out a fix yet either. I was told by a friend that it might be a hull design issue or just the way my boat is, as all boats have their own quirks, but now I know I am not alone.

Wow, I didn't know that there were that many other models involved that had similar issues. Actually, there is more to the story behind my boat that I consider is actually a safety issue, but that was not my intent or purpose of this post. I am just curious as to whether all of the 482's and Z6's with the 115 Opti's are set up with the same pad height and if anyone has tried a different height to help resolve this issue. If anyone would like a more in depth info as to what I am actually experiencing or what I have tried to resolve it, send me an email and I will be glad to share as I don't want to beat this issue to death since there has been so many prior posts on this topic.

Thanks for the feedback J.

I'm understandng more now of what you're saying ....."listing" to the right versus pulling to the right during hold shot initiation. Well, I got that too! Boat sitting still in the water and sometimes I feel like I'm sitting on the edge of a cork!If I move weight around I have a hard time getting it balanced - invariable it will list to the left.....I figure it's just the way the boat was made...I love the boat in every other aspect. By the way, what type/pitch prop are you running on your 115 Larry?

I bought a new 08 Z6 with a 115 Opti and I spent a year dealing with this issue. The bottom line is it's not weight distribution, motor height, trim or prop issues causing the leaning. It's a combination of a smaller hull with a lot of stern lift built into it and a lower unit designed with a lot of lift to help a smaller boat get on a plane and ride level at below speeds. Add the two together and at slower planning speeds there is so much stern lift it forces the bow down on the "V" shaped hull. Then the torque of the motor makes the hull flop over on one side of the "V".

When you speed up the boat climbs up on the pad the lower unit lifts up out of the water and the huge cavitation plate on the 115 Opti will no longer be creating stern lift, so you level out. Next time your at a BPS look at the difference in size of the cavitation plates of a 115 Opti and a 150 Opti. This is why Tracker was replacing 115 Opti's with 135 Opti's, it was to get the different lower unit.

Bill

I'm not sure when you bought your boat or if your still under warranty, but it's worth a call to Tracker about the problem.

Bill,

Thanks for the info. Boat was purchased April 2009 from Gander Mountain when they were getting out of the boat business. I called Tracker last week and all I got was a customer service rep that took my info, asked me to hold on a minute, came back in about 3 minutes or so, and told me to go see the local dealer, they had no info on this problem. I went to the local dealer and they told me they had no info on this problem and had not heard of it before, and they basically just walked off to assist someone else. Easy to tell they did not want to deal with the problem. I am the 2nd owner of the boat. First owner was an elderly gentleman that only trolled with the boat a few times after it was broken in. It only has 28 hours on the rig and not a mark on it. Do you by chance have a contact, name, or a number other than the customer service number at Tracker that I can call? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again for your help.

Larry...

I have a '08 Z6(482) does the same thing. It bothered me at first but until I learned to trim past it. This is not a problem with the boat or brand. All small bass boats do this. Sometimes when a had a 90 hp I had to give the wheel a small jerk to flatten the boat on the pad.

"This is not a problem with the boat or brand."

If that statement was true then why would Tracker exchange some boats under warranty?

I know of 1 memeber of the board that Nitro swapped for a Z7 + the money difference. I'm if you complain enough they will cut you a deal on a more $$ boat. Try exchanging the boat and see what they tell you. I know of no one that got the 135 swap. The boat is rated only for a 130 hp for '08. Nitro would be the last one to over power a boat. The liabilty would be huge. Swapping motor will make no difference other then getting you on plain faster causing you not to notice the lean as much. Drive any 16-17 foot boat and it will do the same thing. Search the Triton and Stratos board on BBC they complain about the same thing. I thought it was just my boat, but it was my driving and learning to trim. Most people how have this problem come from aluminum boats and have not learned to drive a boat with a pad yet. If you think the cavitation plate is the correting factor you could put on a whale tail, but that is not the problem or fix. I now have a 125 motor and catch the boat leaning when I am not paying attention and trimming to fast. I run 5'' below pad any higher and i get prop slip.

John,

I am sorry, but I respectfully have to disagree with you. Over the past 30 plus years I have owned two Skeeter bass boats, one was 15.6 feet long, the other was 16 feet long. I have owned two Rangers, one 15.8 feet long, one 16.7 feet long. I owned two other bass boats prior to that and both were under 17 feet long. The only bass boat that I have owned that was over 17 feet was a Triton and it was 18.6 feet long. None, and I repeat, none of these boats have ever leaned, not even a little. So there is a problem with the factory setup on the 482's and Z6's. They know there is a problem, but refuse to acknowledge it. From my understanding the problem is not with the boat nor is there a problem with the motor, but rather the combination of the two. The 482 is the same exact boat as the Z6 and it is rated for 150hp. For some reason they, being the powers to be, decided that the 150 was too much for this hull design, and lowered the rating to 130hp and renamed it a Z6, which for some odd reason they no longer make..... Go figure....

John, I'm really not trying to debate this issue with you. I'm trying to help someone that has the same problem with their 482, that I had with my Z6.

The fact is there was a excessive leaning problem with the Z6/115 combo. If your happy with your boat that's great, but the original poster and others posting are not and are asking for help. I believe that what's this forum is about and that's what I trying to do by relaying information I've learned during my Z6 ownership experience.

According to Tracker the lower unit design is the issue with this combo. This was relayed to me by my dealer after they talked with a Nitro engineer and then confirmed to me personally by the Tracker Warranty Department. I also learned a letter went out to all dealers regarding this excessive leaning issue on Z6's.

I made a warranty claim and Tracker offered me the 135 Opti as "the regular fix" to the problem (because of the different lowerunit). I didn't like this "fix" based on several reasons, one of which John brought up. The rating of the boat is only 130hp. Trackers solution to this was to also install a new rating sticker that would cover the 135hp engine. This was okay according to them because the original Z6 was the 482 and it was rated for 150hp. I rejected this option. I was offered a new 2010 X5, but I rejected that also. I probably could have had a new leftover 09 Z7 SC with a 150 Opti, but I didn't ask because I didn't want that boat. I ended up with a 2010 Z7 and I did pay some extra to get a the 2010 Z7 with a 200 pro xs, DC, tandem trailer and several other upgrades.

I hope no one thinks I'm unhappy or bashing Tracker/Nitro, I'm not. From time to time every manufacture has some problems with a product, how they handle the problem is what counts. Once I got to the people in charge they admitted to the problem and handled my warranty claim to my satisfaction. Other than the excessive leaning I liked my Z6 and I love my new Z7.

Larry

Go over to BassBoatcentral.com there is alot of info there as well as some of the top bass boat dealers in the USA. Call C&O marine, they are great. If infact there is a warranty issue they will know. The BPS-Gander Mnt. dealers sometimes are not the best to deal with as they are more geared for sales. If you are ever in Illinois come for a ride. I can show you the way trim to get no lean, but it did take some seat time. I hated my Z6 for the first 2 months called my dealer and Nitro, never in a half dozen calls did the dealer or Nitro state there was a problem. I then went out with the dealer and had me driving level in 5 minutes. I came from aluminum boats for 15 years and thought there was no way I was doing anything wrong. There are many guys on BBC with smaller Stratos and Tritons stating the same problem. I do know there is a certain rpm range where if I try to maintain I have torque steer until I get past it and more on pad. I think some of the older bass boats were heavier and had less torque motors that stop this from happening. These are all just my opinions and experiences. There is nothing worse then buying a boat and thinking there is something wrong, been there but now love the boat. I now have a 125 hp and think it is a little slow but the boat is heavy for its size and wish it was a little faster. I am bearly breaking 50 mph.

I have no dog in this fight but will add this....Tracker cannot and does not alter or change the Max HP rating plate in any boat. It is a USCG designation and they have no say whatsoever on the rating. Carry on:p

TOXIC

Up till six months ago I would have agreed with you 1000% TOXIC. When Tracker told me they were going to add a new sticker to the boat I couldn't believe it. I discussed this at length with them and they assured me that it was no problem and their legal department signed off on it. I even called the USCG trying to find out more information regarding max HP rating. No one could point me to a office or department that was in charge of the stickers.

As follow up, BPS in Springfield re-rigged my Z6 with a new 135hp Opti and a new sticker and sold it. If I wouldn't have seen it with my own eyes I wouldn't have believed it either.

WOW!! That is the first I have ever heard of that!! I can see them being able to sticker a rating plate LOWER than the USCG but never higher.....go figure:huh:

TOXIC

Surfing through and found this post just today 11-24-2010. I own a 07 482. Originally purchased it with a 115 and 21p... ran it for one year with the listing problem. Changed to a new 150 Opti 24p... and the same problem as before. Switching motors didn't help me at all. I've learned to correct it on take off and shutdown... and it really don't effect the perfromance at least on mine... 70mph (GPS) w/150 no water in livewell with a 1/2 tank of fuel by myself. Fully loaded, gear, fuel... 63 at best. I love the boat.. but it is the butt of jokes sometimes at tournaments when others see it leaning like that. Just wanted to chime in and give a few cents worth. Great site and very good info from everyone.:)

Latest posts

Back