New truck

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Kayaker

Reaction score
I finally bit the bullet and decided to retire my Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited from towing service this year and bought a 2012 Ford 5-150 Platinum. Built to order in Dearborn, MI and just received it and am trying to get used to it. To be honest, I am scared as heck to drive it because it is so big. I am also trying to get through the burn in period so I can start towing, err, practice towing before I really need to. I don't want to be the yahoo at the ramp who takes two or three times to back in and back out from the ramp.

I know everyone has their favorite brand and that's okay with me so please don't be harsh if you aren't a Ford truck enthusiast. For now, I am having fun trying to accessorize the truck - trailer hitch, floor mats, etc...

Anyway, here it is in my driveway!

Ford-F-150-House-Passenger-Side.jpg

My new 2012 Ford F-150 Platinum

Bill, the MadKayaker :lol:

The Platinum Edition?!

Nice rig Bill. I have had my F150 for three yrs and love it. You will get used to its gigantic size in no time. Congrats and good luck.

GregD

Lets plan some fishing times... Hit Sunapee today. Brutal cold and terrible wind to match.

I've never owned any make of truck other than Chevy, but that is a sweet looking ride.....enjoy.

Eric

There is a very good reason why this truck was the #1 selling vehicle in the USA for 24 years in a row!!!! Find me ONE other vehicle than can say that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_F-Series

Sweet ! I need to get a new Pick Up in the near future also. Ford or Dodge for me. Greg, are you talking about Sunapee in NH?

Thanks guys, I am pretty excited about it.

Greg - it was a toss-up between buying a new Z8/Z9 or a new ride. I stuck with the Nitro 750 for now and sunk the money on the Platinum but I'm glad I did. I got the Max Tow package and the larger differential for towing. I'll probably check out Newfound next weekend or the weekend after but I'd really like to hit Lake Sunapee with you once I can tow with my truck vs the Jeep. I've noticed you've been going there alot so there must be pretty big fish or a beautiful nude woman sunbathing ;) Let me know when you are ready to hit Newfound or Winnisquam.

Bill, the MadKayaker

Sean,

Yes, I am talking about Sunapee in NH. Love this lake as the fish populate has and is really returning to this fishery. It's still about 16/20" low but the fish don't care.

Bill,

You made a good choice with the truck. If you have a 20' boat and can't tow it, it might as well be a dingy.

So far no naked sunbathers:) at Sunapee.

I had a 29 yr old promise to show me everything he new about the lake since he has been up there for 20yrs. Turns out I was teaching him about his home lake. Water was 47f and wind was out of the NW. The lake was a mess not to mention the 35f air temps.

The good news was the new Z8 handled the rough lake better than I could have imagined. I spent a lot of time learning how to use the Structure Scan ( I know Jim I know:p).

I found a lot of new structure and located a sunken boat. Not sure if you have the HB structure on your boat, if not you need it.

I will get you on Sunapee this summer for sure, let's make sure it happens.

GregD

I had family that lived up on the hill in Granleeden (sp?)spent lot's of time on that lake in the 70's and partied at a place called "The Boat House" There was a restaurant called he Anchor Room I think it was called and my Father was going to buy it at one point, not sure why he didn't. Very beautiful lake and area. I was living in Woodstock NY at the time my family lived up there. Sean

Bill, if your new ride did not come with a bedliner check out the bedtread pro series liner. You can find a video on youtube. Put one in my F-150, it's great! Soft to the touch, no stuff sliding around on it and it's resistant to oil, gas and even battery acid. Costs around $450, takes about an hour or two to install. Great add on for any truck. Enjoy your new ride, wish I had the Platinum edition. :D

Beautiful truck! I have a 2002 F-150 Lariat and had the bedliner installed and also a tuneau cover installed. I travel everywhere and it drives like a car. I love it. With the towing package it's a dream to drive.

Barry from La.:)

Trust me, you will get used to the size in no time. I'm not known for going small so my truck is a 3/4 ton crew cab. Yes, I do pay attention to where I park but if need be I can get 95% of the places a car can. Check out the tonneau called an "undercover", they are sweet. I have had one on y truck for 5 years and it still looks new. Locks down over the tailgate and is very watertight. You have to be careful with the snowfall you get up in your nectk of the woods, it can wreck a soft toneau. I put a bed mat in the back custom fit from Tractor Supply and it works great. I actually waxed the bed before I put the cover and the mat in and it looks brand new....sans the scratches I've put in it haulin crap. A bedliner would work as well (spray in). Matter of fact, mine has to get to my sponsoring dealer for plugs, it's now got 104,000 on it and I've got to get it ready for the MVM. Now let's see if I can keep from running out of gas this year running up there!!

TOXIC

Thanks for the support guys!

Chris, I had the dealer add in a spray-in liner but it definitely is slippery and I was thinking of putting a weathertech rubber liner on the top of it.

Toxic - as for cover, I bought the UnderCover Flex Tonneau Cover (great minds think alike?) which is a hard cover and can be opened and locked at each joint. It is very cool. Both the liner and cover come with a 3yr warranty.

I hauled my first bunch of tree limbs and branches I cut down around my property the other day to the town compost center and I looked like a real girl as I was carefully taking them out of the bed so I didn't scratch the liner. I'm sure I'll get over that pretty quickly.

Mike - sadly like tennis, I subscribe to the notion that even if you can't fish, you ought-ta look like you can ;) So you may see me at a ramp or driving down 495 with the boat in another month but you may not see me cranking down on a bunch of bigguns on the lake! heh heh

Thanks again! Bill, the MadKayaker

Unless there is shortage of Toads at the tackle shop. I am sure you will continue cranking the bigguns.

GregD

Nice ride!!

Here is my 2011 ordered F150 EcoBoost long bed. Now that's big. I sold my F250 XtdCab long bed diesel and ordered this with the HD tow package as I pull my 50HP full size Ford tractor on a 26' beaver tail. They only build these at the KC plant. The whole under carrige is Super Duty.

2011F1503.jpg

Michael - Holy Cow! Now that's BIG. Looks almost like it came out of Overhalin'. Bill, the MadKayaker

And with a sceamin 6 banger!! I still can't see the advantage of supercharging a 6cyl to get it to tow like an 8 or even a diesel. I know Mike probably researched it to molecular level but I just can't see the longevity in these motors.

TOXIC

Sharp trucks... Don't listen to a thing those "BowTie" (Tox and Mac) have to say...LOL

Ford is the ONLY way to go....lol

Latest posts

Back