New rod purchased and reel ordered. Trying Fritts method.

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Texas Transplant

Reaction score
Well, I finally decided that I wanted to improve in my crankbaiting. Especially after listening to Fritts this spring at the Bassmaster U. school, I had been considering my equipment. Virtually all my rods are graphite, and my reels are almost all hi-speed. When I crank, I slow down (sometimes), but generally still retrieve at a decent speed.

So yesterday, I purchased one of the fiberglass American Rodsmiths David Fritts Cranking sticks (7' length), and have ordered one of his signature baitcasters designed for cranking (quite a bit slower retrieve speed and light - as I understand it). I've got an upcoming tourney, and will likely be doing some cranking during the tourney.

I'll post up and let everyone know what I experience/find out with the equipment change.

Tex

I just tied on a Rat'l Trap myself....Father's Day tourny (getting in the mindset early) :D

Tex, I've been using one of those Davy Fritts reels since last year. Mine is the older model with the 4.2 to 1 gears. The new ones are 4.7 to 1 I believe. It's a pretty good reel. It sure make cranking those DD-22 and DT 16's a whole lot easier. I haven't noticed much differance in cranking power on big fish either...well maybe I would if I ever caught a big big fish;). Seriously I did catch a 41/2 or 5 pounder on it a month or so ago and it had plenty of power. I do notice that I get a little more backlash on windy days with it but that could also be blamed on me trying to get all the distance I can casting against the wind. I'm using the Rapala Long Cast for crankbaits line, 12#.

Let me know how you like that ARS rod. I was checking those out at Acadmey the other day. They were on sale for $69.

Harpo

That's what I paid for it. Pretty standard pricing, I think. Built in Magnolia, TX.

Hoping to do some testing this weekend.

Tex

Latest posts

Back