Good finesse rod and reel needed

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff R.

Reaction score
Went out Saturday to see if they were biting. Caught a few on a Yum Wooly Hawg Craw and then caught a couple on the crankbait. It was a pretty slow day for the place I was fishing as usually the small ones will always bite something. I decided to get out my bluegill reel (Zebco 404...don't laugh) which has 6 pound line and is on a $5 telescoping rod. I rigged it with a small (1/8 oz) jighead and a Yamamoto 4" finesse worm (with the tail). It was literally like flipping a switch on! I caught 22 bass in about 90 minutes with that setup. It was the BEST day of fishing I had all year and it was a blast catching them on that light of a setup as some of the bass were in the 2 to 3 pound range. Well needless to say, that rod and reel combo leave a lot to be desired so I am wondering what I could get to be used mainly for that type of finesse fishing. I really do not want to go with a spinning reel because I just can't get to used to the way they cast or feel after only throwing baitcasters for the past 4 years. I'm not sure if there are any baitcasters that will throw that light of a rig with 6 pound line or if I need to look into a quality spincast outfit. What would be the best way for me to go as far as reels go and what action and specs for a rod? I really enjoyed the fight by using the lighter tackle so I would just like to get something with a little quicker retrieve and better drag than the ole 404 has. Thanks guys.

I feel the same as you do about the spinning reel. I can't hit the broadside of a barn with one of them.....however there are times when it's the right tool for the job. That's why I keep an old Mitchell down in the bottom of the rod locker. Some of the best fun I've ever had was fishing with my sons Zebco micro-lite spinning combo with a little whippy 41/2 foot rod fishing with some Blakemore Roadrunners in the little lake at his Boy Scout summer camp.

BPS makes a "finesse" baitcaster but for $79 I can't imagine how light they can make the spool or what quality the bearings are.

Harpo
http://www.basspro.com/servlet/cata...arClassCode=1&hvarSubCode=1&hvarTarget=browse

You need to get comfortable with spinning setups, that is what finesse is all about. Dropshot, ultra-light, tubes, senkos, and more, and more......crappie and panfish are all spinning reel fish. I had (till I threw it in the lake:eek:) a 5 foot G-Loomis with a high end Cabelas spinning reel that caught thousands of river smallmouth and bass and crappie. I never put any heavier than 6lb test on it, usually 4lb. Baitcasters don't handle light line as well, especially on short, fast action rods. They definately have their place, I always have 3 or 4 rigged and ready to go.

TOXIC

For what you where doing get a mid range ultra light set up and have fun. The casting skills will come back to you. I have 2 spinning reel set ups on the boat, because I can't skip with a baitcaster. One is a 6'6" medium heavy with a 20 year old Diawa and braid. I fish it weightless senko up to a 3/8 jighead with a tube. I can't cast it very well but I can drop it or pitch it pretty good. They other is a 6' medium with 6lb mono that I use for a jig worm or a 4" senko weightless. I don't use them offten but I do catch fish with them,

Good Luck

BF

You didn't mention your budget....

My "GoTo" setup for finnesse (1/8-1/4 leadheads, grubs and Kuttails) is a 782 G.Loomis and a quatlity spinning reel. (Think Sahara 1500 or better)

The 2 Power G.Loomis equates to a Medium Power with a Fast Action. Very Versatile rod.

This setup will also do weightless (flukes/Senkos) extremely well.

I would recommend a daiwa pixy I buddy has one and it can throw anything . To pricey for my blood//

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewdaiwapixy.html

I guess "finesse" now includes what I consider heavy weight????? Medium heavy rods? Braid?? 1/4 oz lures?? Guys.....that ain't finesse, that's just scaling down a tad. :p

TOXIC

As much as I wish I could say that money is no object.....it is! I just want something that will be decent to use whenever all else fails and I go to the jighead and finesse worm or grub. Is a 6 foot medium rod too heavy or do I want something in a light action? I've been using a 6'6" medium rod and baitcaster for my weightless Senkos and tubes and I have a 6'6" medium rod with a Shimano Sedona spinning reel for drop shotting. It seems like the Sedona might be too big for what I am wanting to use with the finesse setup. It seems like a smaller reel will be a more exciting way to fight the fish with especially with the lighter line and all.

Medium light on the rod (my preference) and a reel one-size smaller than the 2500 series although I use the JLM 2500's for drop shoting.

TOXIC

I use the BPS 6 pin style Extreme Woo Daves Baitcaster for all my fishing needs,i even and mostly finesse worm fish with it and you cant beat the quality and sensativity for 99 bucks or watch bps online and print it out and go in store and they will match,I have 14 of these set ups for 2 diff boats so i promise they are top notch.

The Medium will be fine, this is what I use for all kinds of things. 6 or 6'6", your preference at that point.

I would say that you should go with a spinning reel and 6-8#test...

Latest posts

Back