New Rapala DT-10's - report

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Texas Transplant

Reaction score
This is a more detailed report on the new DT-10's from Rapala. In my tournament report, I mentioned them.

I fished two different DT-10's on Saturday in the SC Federation tournament. Mostly, I fished the one with the blue/shad/org belly spot color. That's what I caught both of my fish on. Check my library if you would like to see a pic of the fish.

These baits, as most of the Rapala line, work very well. They dive quickly, and keep a very down profile in the water. Both from achieving 'dive to (DT)' depth, and from a nose down position. They have a tight wobble, but not an extremely fast wobble. Since they float, once you've hit grass/structure, you can back off and float off the cover, most of the time.

I fished them with a medimum retrieve speed. Greatest success came in coves/cuts where there was grass, but not 'heavy'. Most grass was 3-4 feet under the surface.

I really like these baits as they work nice, and you can cast them a country mile. They do NOT work you to death. I probably cast/retrieved the two colors that I used a minimum of 200 times on Saturday.

One word of caution. David Fritts (big part in the design of this lure), indicated at the recent Bass U. class, that these baits had a thin lip, and would not take abuse. Tied on a brand new never been used fire tiger DT-10 mid afternoon on Saturday. Unfortunately, my boater decided to switch to a side arm delivery and we had a NASCAR pile up of the two crank baits (shad rap and dt-10). His came off competely (and sunk), mine broke off. It cracked the bait down the middle, and broke the lip, right where he said that it could fail. In short, the lip will not take much abuse.

I've now replaced the lure, bought a couple of other colors and backups, and purchased 2 of the DT-16's to try. I'll be trying them this weekend (club tourney), and will post a report on how they work. Especially interested to see if they 'wear me out' on the retrieve like some of the othe deep divers do.

Tex

Thanx Tex....gotta' get me some of those to wear them smallies out with. I need to check the colors and depth ranges. Good info.....

TEE

I can attest to the "thin lip" issue these baits have.

Fished two different one right after they came out, 1 broke during a cast! Talk about a backlash and a half!

Other than that, I like the bait, and plan to use it alot more this coming season.

I also understand that more depths will be covered in the near future.

Sim - yes. David Fritts said the next depth to come out, later this year (like in MUCH later) would be 6' depth. Then others probably next year.

Tex

Just looked at the Red Craw color in Cabela's....that looks like the ticket for early season smally fishin'HOT!

TEE

Toxic...

Can you find me one dealer that carries "All" of the spro lineup?

I can't. Not even the online stores have them.

This is one reason I don't throw more of them.

I want to try some of their new "fat cranks" that they have been advertising.

Sim,

I just trolled some of the links on their site and no one had thos fat cranks. I will check into it. I know they are avaliable because they are in my new ordering catalog. Hold on to your seats because that new fat line of cranks are going to kick bass!!

TOXIC

Sim,

Just a bump to let you know that I checked my catalog last night when I got home and the fat cranks are listed in the "Under Development" section. They are not avaliable yet. I'm sure they will get them out to their pro-staff ASAP to try and I will be sure to let you know how they perform!! That hurts doesn't it!! Seriously, I will let you know as soon as I hear they are on the market.

TOXIC

Thanks Tox...

Still want to talk to you about those HawgCaller "river specials" that you mentioned. let me know how I can get a couple of them.

Tony

Sim,

Go to the site and fill out an order form and get it off to Teddy. These baits sold like hotcakes at the shows and we ran out. If you have an order form in, you'll be the first to get one when HawgCaller gets them made. Cause I an't givin you the ones I've got on my boat, LOL!!

TOXIC
http://www.fishingwithteddy.com/

Which one is specifically the river special that you mention?

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back