New PT-175 owner, lots of questions

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Burnau

Reaction score
Hey all!

Just bought an '01 PT-175 that is as near to new as can be. It was still on the first tank of gas. Owner bought it in May of '01, had health problems and found he couldn't fish the boat. Garage kept, everything show room new, except the batteries. '02 Merc 75 HP ELPTO, installed in position #1, 12.75 x 21 prop. Paid $6500 for what amounts to a new boat!

After drainng 14 gal. of original break in fuel, new batteries, & performing all routine maintenence, motor @ everything else operates as new. First test run found motor trim tab in '0 degree' position, so it torque steers to the right really bad, and won't trim up to neutral steer without porpoising. Fish finder is sucking air at 30 mph (GPS), transducer is mounted to the transom (not the step!) @ 18 inches to port of the center line.

Got just a few issues to sort out, and I would really appreciate your experience!

1. What position are most people running the trim tab to achieve neutral steer?

2. Is there a performance advantage that can be gained by remounting the engine to position #2 or #3, without risking low water pressure?

3. Is there a known 'sweet spot' on the step to mount the transducer?

Thanks for reading my 'help wanted' ad, and good fishing!

Kevin

First and probably the most important thing......put extra break in oil and go through the breakin procedure as outlined in the instruction book. Follow the speed limitations during this time. THat first tank of extra oil is important.

A little adjustment on the trim tab will correct the steering problem. you may need to adjust it a couple of times to find the correct setting. There is no "correct" setting....it's trial and error.

Lower the transducer down till the depth finder works at all speeds. That is almost common proceedure on new rigs. The factory has a "stock" position that don't work on all hulls.

I would forget changing the engine height. This is not a speedboat, but a fishing rig. The factory sets it for best preformance.

Sounds like you got a good deal. You are going to enjoy the rig and hopefully catch lots of fish in it. Break the motor in and ENJOY one of the best rigs going.

Lamar

Concur with lamar. Enjoy the fishing from a great boat rig! :)

Burnauk:

I sent you an email...had exactly the same problem with mine.

And, welcome... Congrats on the new rig... great boat and a great deal

Kevin, I've never asked about this before because it didn't make any difference to me but I found my factory depth finder will not read anything past about 20 MPH. I have a 1996 PT-17

and others I have talked to said the same thing. I only have a 40 HP on my rig so like I said, "seeing" the depth didn't matter that much. I have been thinking of putting a flasher in the console though I don't know why.:)

Anyway, welcome aboard NTOWS. I think you'll like it here.

Bill

The biggest help to my F.F. reading at sped is the angle that it is mounted.

The transducer needs to ride "nose" high through the water. If you look at the transducer from the side and compare it to the waterline on the side of the boat, it looks like it shoots under the boat towards the front.

Just a little out of adjustment and I will loose my reading at virtually any speed.

If the water depth is under about 50' I can hold the bottom WOT (32mph).

Loosen the mounting bracket, and play with the angle a little before you try remounting it anywhere else.

BTW--sounds like a great deal on a nice boat.:D

Steve

Thanks for all of the advice. I've got the necessary tools packed into the boat, ready for some 'tweaking and tuning' on the trim tab and the transducer tomorrow morning, with some fishin' thrown in for extra fun! Will let you know how it turns out.

Happy Fishing!

Kevin

Only item I can help with is the depth finder issue... Do a search for McGyver Bracket, or look in my photo album... Cost about $5.00 and takes about 10-15 minutes... WORKS like a charm...

Tight Lines,

Bill;)

Latest posts

Back