new owner, couple of questions.

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terry Norris

Reaction score
Hi everyone, recently purchased a '96 Nitro 170 DC, seems to be in good condition for the year. This is my first boat so I have a few questions about it. Do you normally leave the livewell pump on all the time or do you turn on and off and do you leave the bilge pump on or turn on when needed? Just worried about draining the batteries down while out fishing. I added a PBS battery charger to the boat so I know the batteries are fully charged. So far, I've really enjoyed the boat but I've made a few 1st timer mistakes with it on my first few outings, made it back home safely though. I have learned much from this forum and enjoy reading the posts, thanks.

First,welcome to the site and the "family". Next, congrats on the new boat. Now, for your questions.

The livewell usually has a three position switch. Off, obviously and two "on" positions. One position is for manual (constant on) used usually for filling the livewell. Then an intermittent on used for maintaining aeration... say a minute or so on and three or more minutes off. (Some even have a variable timer or it can be added as an aftermarket item) You will just have to test yours to see how it works.

The bilge pump will be similar except (hopefully for you...) no off position. When it is not running it should still have power to an automatuic float type switch like a sump pump so that when needed it will cycle on. (You learn to listen for this to alert you to excessive cycling that indicates a leak. There is also a manual on position. As part of your safety/prelaunch check you always turn it on momentarily to check that it works. This is an important safety check. You want that pump ready and able to work at all times. Enjoy the new boat.

Keep coming here and ask any questions you may have.

I've got a '96 170 TF (same boat with single console). If your's is set up like mine, the livewell is just an ON/OFF configuration. The few times that I've put bass in the livewell, I've just run the livewell a few minutes at a time every 30 minutes or so. There is supposed to be a "stand pipe" in the livewell that will keep water from coming in the livewell (you can pull the pipe out to fill the LW or run the livewell pump to fill it), but allow water to drain out should the level get over the top of the stand pipe. Mine didn't have the stand pipe, so I just put a plug in the drain if I need to keep water in it. If I don't put a plug in it, when I stop, water will enter the livewell and "find it's own level" (the water level in the livewell will be the same as the water level on the side of the boat). When under way, the water will drain out through the drain as the boat will be up on the pad and no water can get in the livewell. The stand pipe will keep the water from draining out when running. Hope that makes sense. If you do run the livewell pump manually, DO NOT forget to turn it off at the end of the day. Your battery will last longer than the pump if the pump is run dry...I learned that lesson the hard way. The pump will overheat and melt or crack, as it did in my old Stratos. I found that out when I saw water about ankle deep in the floor of the boat.

My bilge pump is also an ON/OFF configuration. I'll turn the bilge pump on every couple of hours to make sure no water has made its way into the bilge. About the only time I have had water in the bilge is when I stop and get a slight backwash over the transom.

Hi Terry and welcome to the site! I have a 1994 170dc and mine has a aeration switch only for the livewell. Turn it on to fill it and you must turn it on and off yourself to do any aeration. If you plan on tournament fishing I suggest you install a recirculation system. It is pretty simple to do and will help keep your fish alive. As for my bilge pump it did not come with a float switch from the factory. They too can be installed easily and without much cost. Some boats have what is know as a three position valve on the livewell that allows you to pump out water. My 170dc did not come equipped with that. As Greg said your bilge will have power at all times but you will only have one switch (on / off) if yours is like mine. Hope this helps. Enjoy, I love my 170dc!:D

Thanks for all the replies, great of you to help me out. I have received the manual from the previous owner yesterday and read up on my questions, it was of some help. With your help, I think I'll be able to get things going the way I should. I've had the boat a couple of weeks with no manual so I've been trying to figure things out from what the owner told me and this forum. I'm headed of to do a night of camping and fishing with the boat in a lake that is known for it's fish so that will be fun. It's a couple of hours from home so I'm trying to be prepared so I'll have a good day on the water. I work on Lake Champlain on one of the ferries so I have seen bass boats zooming by all day so it's been fun and exciting to get one of my own. Thanks again. Terry

Latest posts

Back