New owner 2002 Nitro Sport 188

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lee Ann Henry

Reaction score
Hi Everyone! We just bought a 2002 Nitro Sport 188. My husband and I are new to boating! So please help!!

Does anyone have a manual by chance? I just sent an email to a dealership asking for one to be ordered (I saw a thread online that seems to be the thing to do), I was hoping someone had a PDF?

I have a few questions
1) What's the best approach to brining the dashes back, they appeared to be tan as I scrub them there is black under it. The boat is tan and red so I assume they were tan.
2) Can someone explain the controls on the dash? I can't seem to find a good video to show this? Also is there a good place to order new gauges if they do not work?

I am sure I will be posting a lot as we start this adventure so thanks in advance for all your support/help :)

Happy boating!

Hello and welcome. Got any pics?

Welcome to the site!
What exactly are you unsure about on the controls?
The gages could be a number of problems, sending unit, the gage itself, the wiring, some are water powered and the tube could be off/ broken, or a ground problem.

Best of luck. A used boat is a labor of love.

Post some pics of the dash so we can tell what you have.

Also, we sanded our plastics and used Krylon Fusion plastic paint. We got the finish we wanted.

Hi Everyone! We just bought a 2002 Nitro Sport 188. My husband and I are new to boating! So please help!!

Does anyone have a manual by chance? I just sent an email to a dealership asking for one to be ordered (I saw a thread online that seems to be the thing to do), I was hoping someone had a PDF?

I have a few questions
1) What's the best approach to brining the dashes back, they appeared to be tan as I scrub them there is black under it. The boat is tan and red so I assume they were tan.
2) Can someone explain the controls on the dash? I can't seem to find a good video to show this? Also is there a good place to order new gauges if they do not work?

I am sure I will be posting a lot as we start this adventure so thanks in advance for all your support/help :)

Happy boating!
I have a 2003 Nitro 288 Sport. I've found that a product called X-14 works best to remove the black that forms on the dash, seats, etc. Spray it on, wait a minute or so, and use a scrub brush to clean it up. Works surprisingly well. As far as the gauges, most of mine still work but a few don't (speedometer, depth finder, etc.). I ended up installing a cheaper Lowrance fish finder that provides many of those stats. Speed, depth, water temp, maps, etc. A very nice addition and less than $150. Best of luck with your new boat!

Latest posts

Back