New mercury 150 price ques !!

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paul white2

Reaction score
Was wondering, what would the price be for a new 150 hp mercury to go on an nx882 boat cost(approximately)?? and for the same mercury 175 hp motor too?? I know prices will vary from place to place but a guesstimate is ok. any help appreciated thnxxx.....paul

Id bet a new 150 opti would be in the 9 to 10k range. Is there something wrong with the one you have? The 150xr6 is one of the most reliable motors out there, its a proven workhorse.

If it was me and if there is nothig wrong wih it that cant be fixed i would leave it be and save your money. The new ones are better on fuel but you will never see a return on that investment. It would take you decades....

Jim..........nothing wrong with the xr6...like new !! but i heard that a new johnson/evinrude 150 costed like 15-16 k !!! so i was just asking. i'd say a mercury 150 is more than 9-10!! but, i was thinking in the next few yrs of going up to a 175 maybe.....whats your opinion on that???

In my opinion it would not be worth it. The few MPH you might pick up on top will never be worth the expense. A 175 isnt going to really be better on the holeshot either. Its a lot money to put into what would then be a 7 or 8 year old boat. You would be better off trading and buying a new, bigger boat at that point.

I had a 882 w a 150Xr6 on it and holeshot wise its not all that much different then my Z7 with a 175.

I have a 2005 nx882 with the 150 xr6. I love mine. drinks some fuel but what the heck!!.It is a strong motor for sure and quite fast. I can hit 63 -64 mph on mine. Thats fast enough for me. I agree with jimb, I think it would be better to get a larger boat if thats what you want. I am no sure I would want to go any faster on that hull either.

hey guys the last comment said "no faster on that hull"......is there something wrong with the hull i don't know about in these boats?? i'm new to nitro boats, this is my first one, so if there's an issue going 60-65 in it i'd say i need to know bout it !! let me know.....thnxxx

At 60 mph things happen fast. Faster than some guys can deal with. Imagine driving a car at 120+. Going fast in a boat takes some practice and varies from boat to boat.

Paul,

I wasnt saying anyhting is wrong with that hull. I have one. I was only making a statement of "opinion". I personally feel that on a 18 ft boat 60 mph is fast enough. I think past that you should move up in boat size for stability issues. It is just my opinion. I have no great knowledge of boats as some do, but there has to be a reason why they limit hp on boats other than weight, and then again I could be all wrong. If I wanted to do 70 or 80, I would get a 21 ft or larger boat is all im saying.

I had a 2005 NX 882 and if I'm not mistaken it was rated for 150 max.

My 2000 882 was rated for a 175.

Jim...i didn't mean anything at all. i'm new to nitros as well, first one here !! i figured that was what ya meangt though, and yes it is fast enough, but the hole shot leaves alot to desire, atleast on my boat !! i was just curious as to what a new motor would cost, i have a 2005 nx882 with the 150 hp xr6 in like new condition....i couldn't believe it when i walked up to the boat......not 1 scratch, no stains, garage kept, i mean in showroom condition !!! i always wanted a white boat with a stripe and gray carpet......well i got all that and the trailer is even white too !!! lol....what luck to find that in a used boat and it like new too. but around 60 mph to me in it seems as solid as a rock, stable, etc. it's smooth as can be, but i do know a bit about the handling being different and wierd, i also have a 17 foot ranger with a 115 hp motor and the 2 boats are as different as daaylight and black dark !!!!! no comparison !! thnxxx guys

Had problem with my hole shot also, had to do some reading on this site and ask some questions. Bob B helped me through it. After I checked all the motor height dimensions, found out they were right on. The previous owner had set ip up correctly. I soon found out that more than a 1/2 tank gas was not good lol. I tuck my motor all the way under until it is on plane and then work the trim slowly to the perpendicular position. Works great now and the steering torque issue also went away. Had to get some seat time for sure. Simple things I learned like trimming down into a turn etc. This site has helped me with that sort of stuff. The only thing that I did do that also helped alot on the holeshot was that I had a hole shot plate made at a local sheet metal shop. This really helped get it up and it is out of the water while on plane. worked great. Also this eliminated the wave surge (lol) coming over the boat when I slow down.

jim.......you're talking bout a holeshot plate???? do you mean the hydrofoil fin that goes on the cavitation plate??? if so, how much did this actually help coming out the hole??? and, how much did it decrease the bow lift when doing so??? my bow is looking at the moon when it comes out the hole !!! lololol....it seems to do ok coming out of the hole considering what all i've heard about the weight in the stern, etc. but if a hydrofoil helps that much i've been thinking of adding 1 myself. and, oh yeah, the jackplate comment you made.....i need to know about mine too. i don't know very little bout them plates. but mine is the manual factory one, 6 inch. it is set in the top hole of the plate(2 holes) so it cud go up 1 more hole. and on the motor, there are 5 holes, mine is set in the second one down from the top. so, it would go on up another 3 holes too. i was thinking that mine maybe should be up 1 more hole, but not sure though. tell me how yours is set if you say it's been done right ok, i'd appreciate it alot......thnxxx......paul........and, oh yeah, do the hydrofoils really cut out the waves when stopping?? lolol.....when i first got the boat i just pulled it down like the ole ranger with the straight up and down back.....lolol.....lil to my surprise several times the water came all the wayyy up on the deck almost to the back of the seat i was sitting in while driving...lol.....but, i've larned that when she sits down, right b4 it rolls up, just give it a lil gas til the waves settle and it doesn't roll up any now. but the ranger you cud just pull it down very suddenly and the way the back of it is made, the water couldn't come over, big big difference in these 2 boats i'll say that !!!! nothing at all can be compared, all is different. but yeah let me know bout the jplate and the hydrofoil ok.

Paul,

It is not a hydrofoil, it is a plate that is made to bolt to the bottom of the jackplate/setback plate. It covers the the opening on the bottom and has a angled tail on the back side. It helps in a way that you dont plow water when taking off.

http://www.marineengine.com/products/accessory.php?in=3428881. Check this out, it will give you an isea of what it looks like. I had mine made.

Latest posts

Back