New Member With New Used Boat 2002 185 Fs Mercury 150 Xr6

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike S

Reaction score
I just picked up a 2002 185 FS with a 150 Mercury XR6 on it. My question is what prop should I use to get the most top end speed. Right now it has a 21 pitch ss prop turns 5200 rpms and has a gps speed of 50 mph w/2 large men and full of gear 1/2 tank of gas and live wells empty. Has 3 batteries on board in the back by gas tank. Been reading some of the other post and it looks like alot of you are using a 24 Tempest?
20180611_194105.jpg
20180611_194116.jpg
20180611_194132.jpg
20180611_194132.jpg

I forgot to mention it has a Stingway whale tail on it. Boat jumps out of the hole no bow raise back just comes up and goes. I do like that but am thinkinking will lose that with a higer pitch prop.

Theres been 29 people view this but no one has made a comment on my question of what prop for best top end speed. Boat jumps out of the hole.. Want to try and get more top end speed. Will save the 21 p prop for sking and such.max rpms for this motor is 5600, getting 5200 with the 21p. Was hoping someone had same boat and motor. Would appreciate some input. Thanks

Mike, you'll get some responses to your question.
I know a few guys on here have charts and experience with your dilemma. They'll respond.

Since mine was the 175 Sport w/75 hp, I can't help you much. I ran a 23 p prop.

Ty for the reply.58 views u are the first reply. Not in a hurry to buy a prop as they aren't cheap. Would like some more top end speed. Boat is in the shop right now having a new composite floor put in. Had a couple of soft spots so I got a very good deal on the boat. One of my sons friends has a boat repair shop like the idea of no carpet. Easy to clean. Going to put a recessed foot pan for trolling motor control and deck extension in when I get it back on front deck area.Also going to replace old fuel lines and bulb. Bulb leaves black crap on your hands when u pump it. Also installing new GPS/fishfinder and a stero. That should keep me busy for a few days.

After all you're doing it will be better than new Mike.
Those fuel lines and bulb can't be replaced often enough. Very cheap insurance! Your description of the bulb sounds like priority 1! When you change the fuel line, cut the old one open lengthwise and see if there is any peeling/gunk from breakdown of inner lining. Be sure to replace fuel lines with appropriate type. And, don't be shy about additives. Todays gasoline needs treated for ethanol. Like the picture.
Keep letting us know your progress!

Attachments

• 9240227_FUL.jpg
    9240227_FUL.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 76
I ordered the oem replacement hose that is ethanol approved. We have ethanol free gas here in Florida at the Wawa gas stations. So I use it only in my boats. I also ordered a new fuel filter. I am a little worried about all the fuel lines on the motor. I will cut the old fuel lines and check after I replace them. Boat is running good now so I hope I caught it in time. Previous owner didn't use boat much at all. Gas smelled ok but added additive anyway to the old gas that was left in tank. Only had a 1/4 of tank in it when I got it.

Got the new fuel line today. How in the heck do you get to the fuel line at the tank. It's like 6 inches back under the deck. May have to leave that 6 inches and splice it? Looks like it was relaced before as it has a splice by the motor has black hose from tank to past the bulb then spliced and has the old grey hose to the motor. Also got the fuel filter.

Replaced fuel line yesterday. Had to remove oil tank and loosen fuel tank brackets to move tank to gain access to fuel hose conection. Also replaced bulb and fuel filter. Relaced lower unit fluid as well,the old fluid looked like new. Pulled propeller to check for any fishline. None found, was rusting looking behind prop, clean and lubed good. New floor looks good see pics.

Attachments

• 20180622_165920_Burst01.jpg
    20180622_165920_Burst01.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 66
  • 20180622_165942.jpg
    20180622_165942.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 73
  • 20180622_165928.jpg
    20180622_165928.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 74
Still no reply on my prop guestion?123 views no options. Was hoping someone had same boat and motor.

Latest posts

Back