New job and I'm in the north country for a few weeks

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Texas Transplant

Reaction score
Well, I haven't been on recently. My earlier contract job ended prematurely in November, so I've been busy interviewing and such. The good news (for what I do) is that the Contract Job Market in the DFW area is HOT right now. I had more interviews and request for interviews than I almost could handle.

The results is that I had two offers come in within 2 business days of each other - both paying well. I accepted a position with TD Ameritrade and started on the 13th (Monday) - so I'm in Omaha, NE for a few weeks 'on-boarding'. I go home for Christmas (23rd) then back for a week. Then I will be working out of their Fort Worth office.

Nice job; organization is good and so far being treated as an equal. It turned out to be a far better match for my background/experience than I expected. Interviewed for a Sr. Project Manager (IT) position, and landed a Program Manager gig. Nice.

All for now.

Tex

PS: Anyone have any recommendations for a good place to eat in the Omaha area, let me know.

Great news Tex - Its been 15 years since i did consulting work for Mutual Of Omaha, so all I remember is there was a GREAT steak place in Omaha locally down town.

Great way to end the year!

Dude, it's my hometown and I ain't missed too many meals.:lol: Shaddup Mac!!:angry: I was just back in Omigosh/Lincoln for the NU/KU game. It's cold there....very cold there!! All the old places I went to are closed now. Johnny's, Ross Steak House, Mister C's, Deano's....ask the locals. For fun food try a Runza (you'll either like it or hate it), Big Freds Pizza on Pacific Street. Joe Tess for catfish, Jack and Mary's for Chicken and gizzards, Jhadpour for Indian, OJ's for Mexican....Steaks are what my old places did.

TOXIC

Tox - thanks for the tips. I'm glad that you included Jhadpour, since I really like Indian food, but my wife doesn't - so . . . . .

I'll see about looking up a few of these this weekend. I'm staying near Dodge and 90th, and it seems easy enough to get around up here. Not sure what a Runza is, but I'll look it up and at least try one.

Tex

Great news Tex! Good luck with the new company.

Oh, and if you do get the Runza, I hope you don't get the runs-a!! :lol::lol::lol:

LOL!! @ Dan,.........Good luck TT,..didn't know you were looking,...glad you found something that'll keep you planted where you're at!!;)

Congrats on the new job Tex!! A great way to start the new year.

Try the Joe Tess for their carp sandwich, not bad at all. We spent one winter in Lincoln and really enjoyed ourselves. If you get to Lincoln be sure to visit the Univ of Neb dairy store, only if you are a conisouir of ice cream.

Good luck with the new job.

Thanks for the words of encouragement and also the tips on 'chow'. Well, if I needed a reason to visit Lincoln, I now have one!

The other contracting gig that I had was severely under budget and they transitioned my work to two (2) people that are fte's. One of them will work full time on somehting that I did part time; the other simply get's another part time assignment. Not the first time I've experienced this - being replaced by two or three people trying to take over what I was dong alone.

Big problem was that as a contractor, I was limited (their choice) to only 40 hours a week. If they were not paying, I was not working.

However, this job I'm on now is a much better situation and a much more professional organization. I get paid weekly here, so I'll get my first check before Christmas - which is always a nice thing.

Tex

Come over to BAssPro Council Bluffs and eat at Uncle Bucks. Also same exit Texas Road House for steaks. Stop up to the gun counter at BPS and see if I'm there and say hi.

fatrap

aka

Mike Grandick

Texas Road House? Are you nuckin futz. Thats a chain!! At least send him to the Pink Poodle in Cresent, IA for Prime Rib. :lol::lol:

TOXIC

Latest posts

Back