New Boat

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gene` Zartman

Reaction score
I plan to be a new boat owner as I'm schedules to pick up a 2005 NX750 w/ a 90 optimax next Tuesday. The Boat is like new, always garaged when not in use, and has not been used since 08 and I'm told it has less than 40 hours on it.

The prop was off the motor when I looked at it and the owner told me he hit some stumps with it and ruined the prop and a new one will be on the motor when I pick it up. BTW The keel of the motor shows no scratches or dings

Question! Is there danger of collateral damage ( Bearings etc.) that I need to look for whem we put the muffs on and run the engine?

Question! I have friends who will help me with getting familiar with the boat but I need to take a boating course in the near future. Can anyone recommend a source on boating education?

I'm new to the forum and apprecite your posts. Thank You GeneZ

Gene,

Food for thought-A torn up prop with no damage to the keel sounds to me like he was on plane when he hit the stumps. It's possible that all he did was bend the prop, but I would recommend having the lower unit checked by a mechanic before you put it in gear. There are a lot of expensive pieces in there and a bent shaft could ruin your day. You should be able to run the motor in neutral with no worries.

While it is being looked at, have them (or you) put in a new water pump impellor. They can get brittle while they are sitting and they never seem to let go until you are as far from the dock as possible! :lol: Change the lower unit oil also. Both are cheap insurance.

As far as boating courses, check the BoatUS (www.boatus.com) website. They are a great source of info. Coast Guard Auxilliary is also great, and they probably have local chapters near you.

Above all, when you get it in the water have fun!
http://www.cgaux.org/boatinged/

It's possible that all he did was bend the prop, but I would recommend having the lower unit checked by a mechanic before you put it in gear.

I'd take it one step further...I'd tell the owner that the purchase is dependent on a "clean bill of health" on the lower unit. Hitting some stumps could be as minor as messing up the prop or as major as causing a catastrophic failure of the lower unit. A bent prop shaft, damaged seals, or, even worse, damaged gears could come back to cost you a good bit if the stumps actually did more damage than just ruining the prop. Have a mechanic check it out and if there is more damage, the owner either pay to have it repaired or come off the price the amount the repair would cost. If he is so certain that the stumps just damaged the prop, he shouldn't have any issue with it.

I suggest that you make this deal contingent on a mechanic inspection and a successful test run. If you are getting this at such a deal them press on. That there is no prop also tells me you did not test drive, I hope it yields what you are looking for. Most of these come with stock aluminiminum props that are more sacrificial than stainess, I've mangled them them badly with no damage to lower unit.It also has been sitting up for 2 years so that old gas needs to go, fittings greased, etc.

Agree with everyone else. I've had to replace the lower unit on my '99 115 Merc it was $2800 for a fully rebuilt/warrantied Merc unit (I don't take any chances with my boat/motor). Agree interesting now scratches/dings on the Skeg (the keel of the lower unit), as even on my brand new one after a year its got some scratches from normal shallow water fishing... The nx750 with the 90 Opti won't be a 50+mph boat but should be a solid upper 40's fishing machine! Good luck!

Before you buy... Have that lower unit tested and "cleared" by a qualified mechanic. No matter what it looks like, and no matter how sincere and honest the seller has been... Only a mchanic is going to be able to tell if that lower unit is ok. Like Trep said, very expensive to replace.. Cheap (relatively) to have it checked. Then after, enjoy and congrats on the new boat.

The only thing I can think to add to the great advice given above is to make sure your tech does a pressure up/leak down test on the L/U to insure seal integrity. Things can look and run great for a while until the tiniest of pressure leak evacuates the L/U gear oil in an instant, replacing it with water, and then KA-BOOM! Good luck and after a thorough check enjoy the new ride!! ;)

My two cents.......you might think about have the fuel pumps tested/replaced. Just bought a boat that "sat for a long time" and the fuel pumps went out after four or five trips and knocked me out of a tournament. Seals and gaskets have a habit of trying out/getting brittle if they are not used regularly. Best of luck with the new boat, be safe and have fun!

JP

Latest posts

Back