Need some feedback on a used boat - 896DC Savage

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Texas Transplant

Reaction score
Okay. I've been nosing around looking at more traditional bass boats. Been both looking at new and used boats. Here's one I found in SC, that I have some interest in. Need some feedback and opinions.

1998 Nitro 896DC Savage (Dual Console)Classic Summit Edition. This boat was bought new in Feb 99, and supposedly has less than 50 hours on the motor.

Has the following:

200hp Merc EFI

19' 6.5" in length

Dual axle swing away trailer w/5 spoke aluminum wheels

Lighted boxes

auto livewells

dual battery charger

Lowrance X65 and a flasher

Motorguide 62lb thrust trolling motor.

Boat always garaged and synthetic oil.

Asking price: $15,900.00

NADA price: $13,620 low and $17,370 high.

I'll post a couple of pic's up in a few minutes.

Things I'm interested in:

Overall quality/durability of this rig.

Handling ability in rougher water.

Engine comments? No details as yet on prop/jackplate/etc.

What should I be 'asking' and looking for?

Thanks.

Tex

It's a great hull. I'm buying a '97 from Buzz with a 200 efi hoprefully this coming weekend. The hull is very fast, and a great rough water ride. For a 19' hull it rides like comparable 20+ footers of other brands. Layout is great, tons of storage and the dual console is nice. Check the boat for stress cracks. Look in the blige area, pull the storage bins out and look around inside at the fiberglass for obvious damage. Check all the electronics to be sure everything works. But the most important thing is the motor. Do a compression test, be sure all cylinders are within 5-10% of one another. Make sure it is charging. Then pull the lower unit plug and see if there are filings or water in the lube. If it all checks out, take it for a run. Oh, also spin the prop and watch the hub and shaft to be sure it spins true. Good luck, great ride.

Pic number 1.
Savage_01.jpg

Just don't try to tow it with the Ranger in the background! LOL

No, I've already made that switch. Momma's rig is a Merc Mountaineer with a HUGE V8 in it. Pulls that big honkin' Targa 18 up and down the Carolina hills and mountains like it's not even there.

Tex

See Rob someone ELSE's WIFE drives the TRUCK!!!! LOL

Tex - Sweet looking rig! if you get it, I will definetely have to drive up for a ride!!!

that is a nice looking rig Tex. should give you everything you need to tourney fish.

jd

Price seems high. NADA pricing is more of a "sellers price" than a buyer's price. After all, who wants to pay "retail"? Of course, please understand that I'm speaking of my experiences in the Dallas area, trying to sell a boat for $2500 UNDER low nada book value, and having a VERY hard time doing it. $8000 low, sold for $5500. The boat was not in the condition of this boat by any stretch, nor was it even a remotely similar boat.

However, to put it into perspective, I got a '99 911 CDC with a 225 opti for 13,500. It also isn't in as good of shape as far as stored indoors and pretty shine, etc. I had to add electronics and a trolling motor, but at least I got the items *I* wanted.

So, take my experience for what it's worth.

You'll love the boat, it was my favorite boat I have ever been in until the 898's came out this year I have owned 5 previous Nitro's and 2 of the have been 896's. Traded one in back in Jan of 2002, looks identical to that one same color and everything, except it had 2 x-65's and a hand control TM. Got a good deal on a a boat show 901 and then told them I had a trade. They kept the boat show price on the 901 and gave me $12,500 for my '98 896 summit This might give you something to go on.

Boat is the best fishing platform you'll be in (except the new 898, which is just a streched out 896) It is very fast and above average ride for 19' class boat, extremely shallow draft, gets in real shallow water and over stumps very well. rod boxes are the best, storage is huge but not divided which is a minus to me, has a good livewell system but not the best, 9 series has best on the market. I like the 896's so well I sold a 10 month old 901 so I could buy a 898 which is an 896 that is 10" longer and rated up for a 225. My $.02 worth. KENNY

Done some additional research and this boat has been for sale for at least 6 weeks. Nitro's don't sell as well down here, and neither do Dual Consoles (which this has). If I get to the point of seriously looking at doing something, I will need to sell my Targa. I can go 'some' months paying for both, but don't really want to do that. Of course, I can fish the balance of the year as a non-boater also.

Hoping that the boat is not too far from here, so I can at least take a good look at it. If it's further down state, then I might try to arrange something for this weekend, as I'm fishing a T down on Santee-Cooper on Saturday.

Tex

Thought that this info might be helpful to you. I just purchased this boat March 14th. from an individual who posted this on the Swap and Sell board on Feb. 18th. I thought that this was a very fair price for the boat after I saw the pictures and spoke with him on the phone and through e-mails. This was exactly the boat I was looking for. I posted pics in My Library. I drove from Irving to Tulsa, Ok. to meet and we made the exchange after looking over the boat in person. Todd was a pleasure to meet and deal with and could only have found my boat because I found the Owners Site! Thanks to all for the great information that I have used since joining! BKS

1999 Nitro 896 Savage Summit Edition. 19'6", dual console. 200 EFI Merc, with 3 blade SS prop. 25 pitch, mounted to a 10" Rite Hite jack plate. Boat is all white with royal blue center stripe and silver pins. Carpet is a blue/grey combo, with seats being grey with blue trim. Boat has white keel guard installed. Seaswirl hydraulic steering. Dual locking rod boxes, dual locking dry storage behind both seats. Locking tackle/storage compartment in front deck. Boat was used as a guide boat and has had the front deck extended back to the consoles allowing for an extra pedestal seat and still having storage in front of the consoles.

Split livewell, located behind the seats, with timed aeration and pump out system.

Fuel tank is 50+ gal and oil tank is 2 gal, with remote fill.

Motorguide 56lb t-motor with Gator mount, rigged for 12/24 volt.

Dual pro, 2 bank battery charger. Charges both t-motor batteries.

Has Lowerance flasher located in dash. Directly right of driver console is an Eagle Optima, with speed and temp features, and mounted on the t-motor is a Lowerance X-75.

Boat sits on Nitro color matched, dual axle trailer. Trailer has swing away tongue and surge brakes (disc), with electric override for backing. Goodyear tires and matching spare.

This boat starts and runs great. With jack plate and 25 pitch prop, it will run 70+ mph, if you need to , with half tank of gas, two persons and gear. This boat has been used yr round since it was made. The 1st owner guides for Big Cedar and I bought it in Dec of 2000 and I use it at least twice a month each month (unless the pond is froze over) .

Boat has full coverage (everything) warranty until May of 2004, with only a $50 deductible.

Great tournament boat. It WILL run with anybody.

I am selling due to an interest in a center console, bay-type boat. I need the extra room and don't need to run 70mph anymore.

$16,000.

Tox - reread it and now I understand. Hey - one step at a time. Right now, since I'm considering a boat that is much more than I've ever run.

Tex

See TOX you Glass guys are NEVER satisfied "Come over to the 9 Series my son!!" and he hasen't even BOUGHT a Glass boat yet!!!

Latest posts

Back