Would you use this boat sale resource?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich Stern

Reaction score
A while back, I began writing software for doing a paid classified section on the site, but I decided against it, since Swap/Sell is free already, and seems to do the job.

In my never-ending quest for software glory and web site revenue, I am contemplating another version of this concept for people selling their boats:

Would you pay ($5, $10, $20, $25 ????) for a semi-custom web site featuring your boat for sale?

More explanation: You'd go to a simple setup page that would ask you what pages you want to create, e.g., "Hull", "Motor", "Interior", "Performance", etc. For each of those pages, you'd then upload one or more photos, and enter some text. All of this would be with simple forms; no technical knowledge required. You'd have the ability to change the information at any time.

The result would be a neatly organized, multi-page web site that features your boat and all of the selling info you've entered, with a URL (link) that you can use to tell people where to go look at your boat on the web. You could place this link in other ads (here, BFHP, BoatTraderonline, etc.), to give people a place to go see your boat in detail.

The idea here is not to launch yet another "Boats for Sale" classified site, but rather provide people with the ability to create a more comprehensive advertisement of their boat for sale.

Let me know what you think of this idea. Would you use it? At what price is it a worthwhile addition in your attempt to sell your boat?

Yes, I would..... $19.95 or $24.95 sounds like a good price point.

BUT.....

1) Keep it so that the final product is viewable as a single page.

2) Do set it up as a site for listing boats. Include the listing in the price for a period of say 30 to 60 days; renewable for an absolute minimum monthly charge after that. Why not? All the work is going to be done anyway! All it will cost you is storage space!

Glad to tell you how to run your business!

Now..... About your life, Rich.....

:^)

me!

Rich,

When I sold the Targa, I posted on several 'free' sites, and also paid for two of them. They were about $29.95 and 39.95 each. One was a 30 day ad, the other went for about 6 months or so, it seems. Iboats.com and boattrader.com (close spelling) where the two that I 'paid' on.

I would use a paid internet service again (one or more). One of them, not sure which, is how I sold the boat.

I believe that anything that gives you decent access and information, in many places, helps.

I'd be happy to kibitz on what you might do, as needed.

Tex

Rich - I'll be honest, for a just URL by itself (and the wiz-bang software behind it) i may or may not want to pay. As Tex mentioned there are a number of free sites you can post to, like this one. Also my Yahoo e-mail gives me free Geocities web pages with the SW free including the URL, which I can post else where as a link.

Now if I didn't know about Geocities I might be willing to pay $5.00 or i might try to see how MSWord does to generate the HTML page, granted i'd still have to find a hosting site or e-mail it to folks.

For me the benefit would be minimal as i'm computer savy, basic as it is, but for folks who are not up to speed i'd say $5-10 one time fee. Now if you somehow negotiated posting deals with a BUNCH of free/pay sites so i'd only have to create the page and post it ONCE and have linked/posted on a bunch of site. THAT Would be cool!

Rich, I like the idea, but personally look for sites where I can post for free. That's why I like this swap and sell page so much. The BFHP and iboats all want money. If they're charging, WHY do I get barraged with stooped banners and pop ups every time I go on there? They make their money there too. To me, they're taking in money everywhere and it makes their sites a turnoff. Just me, but I would pay for membership before an ad. Then perhaps a benefit of membership can be free ads???? 6 of one, 1/2 dozen of the other.

Rich,

I like some of Rob's idea... membership has advantages... Play and post for anybody... members (paid) can post to swap and sell and anybody could do "classifieds" for under $100... just some more thoughts

You might like to review the differences from www.lake-link.com for members

Latest posts

Back