Need BIG favor from 911 owner...

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Jackson

Reaction score
I know I am probably becomming a pest, but you have all helped get me closer to my goal of a new boat this season and I really appreciate it. I am still struggling with the length issue of the 911 package and my limited (22'11") garage space. I have contacted Nitro and recieved the answer copied below.

Dear Mr. Jackson,

Here is the response I got from Rick Emmitt, the NITRO product manager:

"Both the brochure and website list the 901 at 22'8" w/swing-away tongue detracted and no transom saver. The boat show flyer has a misprint at 22'6", should be 22'8". This is the only discrepancy. As far as length goes, these boats have been listed at this measurement since the 911 came out in 1999 and the 901 in 2000. I called Ozark and they do not have measurements with the boats on trailer, just the trailers alone. They did say the trailer lengths were the same on the 901 versus the 911, so most likely the package lengths are accurate. Even though the 911 is longer, the trailer lengths are the same, so the boat positioned on the trailer can be the same with different winch stand locations. I would say the 22'8" is correct since we have used this measurement since 1999 with no complaints that it is not correct."

So, you'll have a scant 3" of clearance, but I would sincerely suggest measuring the boat on the showroom floor. Perhaps dropping a line from the end of the boat and front of the trailer and then measuring the distance on the floor between the two points would be most reliable.

If I can be of any additional help, please feel free to contact me. I'll be out of the office the remainder of the week, so if you don't receive a timely reply, that'll be why.

John R. Morris Jr.

Manager, Customer Acquisition and Retention

TRACKER Marine Group

That was a less than 24 hours response. I'm impressed. However, my problem is the closest place I can do the string and tape measure trick is a dealer that is 696 miles away. Soooooo, big favor time..... Can one of you 911 owners do the string and tape measure thing for me on your boat and tell me if it will fit in 22'11"??? BMCD did an approximate measure last night for me, but with only 3" to spare I am really reluctant to move forward at this point...

Thanks for all the help and I apologise for the length of this post, but I am getting desperate and don't want to make a 1,400 mile round trip.

Well buy it and if it doesn't fit just store it and a key in my garage... I'll leave the light on for ya'....

Good luck, I hope somebody gets the measurement for you and that it fits...

Don't forget if you knock the dry wall out behind the motor you get a couple more inches!!!!

Jim,

My boat is in storage because I am selling my home. I can get the measurement for you on Thursday if that is soon enough. I have a 2000 911 with a 225 Opti. Will that work for you?

When I had my 711 I didn't have a swing away tongue and had not problems by just angeling the trailer in my two car garage. It made it tight to bring in my car but it worked. My guess is that if you have two inches you could just swing the trailer a little and have no problem. You, of course, need to drop the motor down and I used to push it by hand into the back wall.

Let me know if Thursday is okay. If not, I could swing by the place on the way home tomorrow.

>>Dennis

Dennis:

Thursday would be great!! My intent is to go with the 911 w/225EFI so the measurements should be the same. I really appreciate your help....

Jim...

Jim,

I just got home but I realized I'm on PDT and it may be late for you. I have bad news and maybe good news. First, I pushed the boat to the back wall and measured to the tongue (after it was swung away). I get 278 inches which is 23 feet 2 inches. I then looked to see if there was anything I could do to shave some inches. First, I realized that I have a big 10 inch manual "slider" which is twice the size it needs to be. I think the newer ones are a lot smaller. I know the hydraulic units are thinner than ten inches. At the front I could slide the entire front end forward about 2 inches. And last, if you were to cut off the two steel plates that hold the roller to the winch and then reweld them you could gain another 5 or 6 inches. If you just fooled around a little with the winch it looks like you could get 6 to 8 inches which would allow you to bring the boat forward more on the trailer. Before doing this, however, make sure the trolling motor is not too far forward. I have a big ole 109 and the holder sticks way out front of the boat. But, this also could be moved back if you were really really close.

I hope this helps. I can send you some photos of the winch if it would help.

>>Dennis

Keep in mind that as you slide the boat forward or back on the trailer you affect the tongue weight... consult your dealer about the positioning of the boat... I'm still for poking a hole in the drywall!!! to gain those precious three inches and still have room for a jackplate of say 6 inches...

Thanks for all the help, Dennis. It sounds like there are some things I can do if I need to. The factory is insistent that the 22'8" number that they published is correct, so they might have made some changes in the last couple of years. Greg is spot on with being cautious about moving things forward/backward on the trailer. Bottom line -- I'm gonna go for it -- I'll figure out something when it gets here if I do have a length problem. Again, thanks for your help....

Jim,

Seriously, you look at a lot of garages that got built for older cars... they have a "bustle" added (an extra foot or two added with a shed roof to accomodate the hood). So, if it doesn't fit there are some things you can do... And, if that "Merc" has to stick out in the dining room wall...well!

I disagree that the new ones have a smaller setback plate. They changed the style, but from the look I had at one, it looked to be 10" or so. The newer ones aren't jackplates (non-adjustable) though.

The new ones are spec'd as 10 inch.

Greg -- The Merc would be in the hallway to the utility room. I guess I could live with that but not sure about the wife....

Maybe I could cut a 12" wide channel in the lower 3 panels of my garage door!!..

So if she can't learn to work around it.. there are other options....

You can't cut "slits" in the door... LOL Just won't stay in the track... But I did see a "one piece" door that had had a hole cut in it to allow it to close over a trailer tongue...LOL

Great male response Jim . "Bottom line -- I'm gonna go for it -- I'll figure out something when it gets here..." Almost brings a tear to your eye. Where would the world be without men's attitude of to hell with it, I'll figure out something. Keep up the good work and enjoy that boat even if part of it sticks out the front of the garage. It just shows everyone that you priorities are in the right place!!!!

Jim - If it's just a few inches too long is there enough side-to-side room to push it off to one side? I did this with my old boat in a small garage in Houston. Just made sure I left enough room for my wife's truck to get in w/out her scratching the door on the trailer!!!

I know, I know, wife has truck...LOL!!!

Don't think I can do that Trep... It's a 3 car garage with two of them at 22'11" and the other is shorter and set back. My Tracker is in the stall next to the one that is set back. It's my own fault. When we built this place I didn't think to tell the builder to make the garages extra deep. I guess I just thought everyone was a boat owner!! I'm kinda like Sam. I'll figure out something when the time comes. Of course, I could get lucky and all the Nitro numbers could be correct!!

Back