My steering wheel is hard to move.

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I put my boat for the first time out on the lake last weekend and the steering wheel was very hard to turn. I almost couldn't turn it. What do you guys recommend to get it back to normal? and How? I have a 1996 160 TF Nitro.

Thank you very much,

CR

Steering cables are corroded inside of the sheathing. You can try using one of the lube kits for the cables, or change them out completely. Personally, if it were me, I'd change the cables...no sense in risking the cables breaking while on the water. When mine started getting hard to turn, I upgraded to hydraulic steering.

I tried 'loosening up' some similar cables years ago, and had them replaced. If you can do it yourself, you will save some $$$ (I didn't, and it cost me an arm and a leg). Like Scott suggested, I would also recommend to simply change them out.

Tex

Thank you Scott and Tex.

I really appreciate it. I think it's time to replace them anyway. :D

Carlos - I don't know if this info will be helpful for you but I have a 1997 Nitro Savage 884 bass boat. I have a hard time turning to the right but no problem to the left. I stopped by my local Bass Pro shop in San Antonio and spoke with an authorized Nitro dealer in the repair/parts shop. According to them the motor on my boat was designed in a way that made it hard to turn right. They suggested I checked a metal plate/tab at the bottom of my boat to see if it can be adjusted to help compensate the motor when turning right. I can turn to the right easily when the boat is out of the water, it's only when I'm in the water when it becomes a challenge. I grease my steering cables regularly to ensure there's good mobility. Have you had your steering cables replaced?

Carlos - I don't know if this info will be helpful for you but I have a 1997 Nitro Savage 884 bass boat. I have a hard time turning to the right but no problem to the left. I stopped by my local Bass Pro shop in San Antonio and spoke with an authorized Nitro dealer in the repair/parts shop. According to them the motor on my boat was designed in a way that made it hard to turn right. They suggested I checked a metal plate/tab at the bottom of my boat to see if it can be adjusted to help compensate the motor when turning right. I can turn to the right easily when the boat is out of the water, it's only when I'm in the water when it becomes a challenge. I grease my steering cables regularly to ensure there's good mobility. Have you had your steering cables replaced?

Latest posts

Back