My PT 175 On Its Way Back To The Factory

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Balch

Reaction score
OK, it's official now. My new PT 175 will have to go back to the factory in Missouri to have the flexing, squeaking deck in the rear, port corner repaired. My boat had been towed over to a subcontractor in Austin who was quite confident he could fix my boat. The carpet had been pulled back, but just before he began work, Tracker Marine called and said no repairs are to be done until they look at the boat. I signed the papers this afternoon. The boat will be transported at no expense to me.

Needless to say I'm somewhat frustrated because my boat has sat at the dealership for a month, with not much movement on this issue. I've tried to be understanding because the dealership has had significant personnel changes during the past month. So, I don't want to complain or place blame. I just want my new boat back in good shape.

I've talked to a service rep at Tracker Marine who was very courteous and encouraging. She has the paperwork and said she will call me next Tuesday regarding when the boat will be picked up. I believe she will keep me informed about what is going on. So, I'm hopeful. I really love my boat and hope to be back on the water before my grandson has to go back to school.

Bill

Man...if they got to send it back to the factory...I'd suggest they offer you a new boat.I know it sounds like a headache but, you never know..I got a new one with a little effort. Tell em'"That's not the boat I ordered"...

TEE

I'd take a different approach then TEE.

First, I think it is a great job by the dealer to investigate with Tracker's approval to see if they could fix the issue on-site and potentialy provide you a quicker turnaround. Second, great dealer who realizes when he's over his head and it should be a factory repair not some slip-shot quick fix. Third, I give Tracker credit for handling your problem quick, professionaly and taking care of you as a customer. Now we'll have to see how long the boat is gone and what the quality of the repair is. But from my books this is EXACTLY how a quality manufacturer should work.

I know you don't want to be w/out your new baby, but what is the other option? Keep it and have more potential problems out of warranty?

TEE - Until the factory has a chance to review the issue and make a plan of action for repair or replacement I think it's premature to suggest they offer a new boat.

Keep us informed!

Hadn't thought of that Dave, great idea! Though I woulnd't hold my breath, i've yet to get a Car dealer (except the high end one) provide a loaner!!!

Bill - can't hurt to ask.

hoping it gets taken care of the right way for ya Bill. i'm real attached to my boat also and wouldn't like to see it have to spend the night anywhere else but home or on the lake. just for your own protection, document everything including conversations and dates in writing. some have had less than adequate satisfaction from the warranty centers repair work (i'm sure there are many many more who have had great work done also). i would ask for a written list of repairs that will be made and a determination of the cause or reason for the need of repair. of note also, i would ask that the warranty period be extended by the amount of time your problem was first reported till the time you recieve your boat back as i would think that is only fair, especially if you have paid additional monies for the warranty. it does sound like your dealer has done a good job of taking care of you and sounds like tracker is "on the right track" and proceeding with getting it taken care of. good luck to ya and keep us posted how it goes.

jd

If you have a video camera or any camera it might be a good idea to document what shape the boat was in before it left to go back.

I am inclined to agree with TEE. Bill bought a new boat, or I believe that was his intention anyways. Sounds like he got a boat that needs some work done back at the factory.

I bought a Ford Truck 2 years ago, signed the papers, gave them a check, went out to drive new truck home and passenger door had a BIG DENT in it. They told me they could have it ready in a week and even offered a rental car. I wanted a NEW truck, not a repaired new truck. Short of it, I got a new truck. Same should be true on boats, they cost what a car does these days.

I agree with both TEE and TrepMan.

Tracker has done what is necessary. They have taken the necessary steps to see to it that Bill gets the boat he paid for at no cost for transportation. Two Thumbs Up to Tracker!

The problem is the time involved..... Since it's not something that can be accomplished locally and has to be sent back, it will at least be several weeks - maybe months..... Bill is going to be without a boat during prime fishing season.....

Replacing the boat isn't quite as simple as making an exchange at WallyWorld.....

First, there is the value of the item. However, if we speak in terms of percentages of dollars in returned merchandise verses merchandise sold, I would think that they would remain relatively constant regardless.....

Second, we are talking about an item that is covered by a Title. This significantly complicates replacement and what to do with the return boat.

To Tracker:

Here is your opportunity to set new standards in the industry!

Raise the bar!

You have the ability!

me!

It's just a suggestion really...I was just stating what"worked for me"...In any case if it's going back to the factory...it's not a NEW boat and should be replaced in my opinion...glad I held out on mine...got a NEW boat not two months old and the trailer was three...they leave those trailers in the lot for a year and rust out and the boat is shrinkwrapped..go figure.

TEE

Thanks to everyone for your encouragement and suggestions. I agree that at this point my dealership and Tracker Marine are acting in good faith to repair my boat and get it back to me in good shape. I did raise the issue of what if I'm given a new boat with the service rep at Tracker. She said that there basically would be no cost to me except required state fees, and that Tracker would reimburse me for that.

I actually did consider asking for a loaner boat, but then I would be responsible for someone else's very expensive boat, so I'm just going to use my little 12 footer with the old 5.5 HP Evinrude til I get my big boat back. And I have been keeping a journal of all my interactions with the dealership and Tracker Marine.

One other thing about getting a new boat: my boat seems perfect except for the deck problem. If I get another boat, there might be some other problem to deal with. So, I think I'll just stay with my present boat, if it can be fixed. And writing a letter to Tracker after all the dust settles to state my disappointment in having a major problem with a new boat is a good idea. In fact, they have already sent me a customer satisfaction survey.

I really do appreciate all the responses and suggestions. This is a great board with a lot of really good people. I will keep you posted. And thanks again. Bill

Possibly could wind up with more problems....mine was an issue of "thier last one" routine that had been on the lot for over a year...so it was a combo of boat and trailer problems with mine.

If Tracker makes it right(and I;m sure they will)that's all that matters.

TEE

WOW - I've NEVER seen Neeley SPEACHLESS!! Must be some GOOD 'shrooms!!! LOL

Back