My new boat - 911w/225 - have Serious questions, need forums help/guidence

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jake Oleary

Reaction score
well, I finally got her ... my new 2006 911 w/225 opti.. Had her out 4 times already. still breaking her in. Doing the right thing and breaking it in by the book. However I am starting to have a few concerns. Check the picture, then read on..

theboat.jpg

ok so I have THREE questions.

1) what is the proper peg the motor/jack plate should be set at? give me as much detail as possible, I am kinda new to all this.. this question I guess ties into the question below.

2) im still breaking in the engine, I am able at this point to burst to 100% for a 5-7 secs at this point. I am not seeing much higher then 62 MPH (both GPS and Spedo). I have trimmed the engine a bit to get the speed but my boat is throwing a BIG rooster tail (much more then my 882 ever did). Granted I am only keeping it pinned for 5 seconds TOPS at this point, but I am starting to think I may be seeing top speed. Based on all the other posts out there I was under the assumption this should do 68-70. Is this becuase engine isnt at right height on jack plate or maybe even the trim is not right? Or is this because im only able to keep it pinned for 5 secs tops right now and it needs a change to clime speed.. the rooster tail has me second guessing (I have it tilted 1/4 of the way up at MOST during full throlttle and tried a lesser tilt). I am use to my 882 and it use to MAX out around this area and not throw nearly such a rooster tail..im not running a full rig (live wells empty, fairly light gear, and two guys on the light side)..compared to my 882, this is almost slower top end speed. I did 65 on my 882 w/150hp.

3) for anyone who has a 911 how does it turn on pin point turns? I am use to my 882 w/150. I use to be able to slam that thing into turns and then hit the throttle as well coming out of the turns with no problem. On this new 911 it seems to almost do nothing when I do the same and require me to back off the throttle for the engine to catch up to itself. I cant explain it, but i cant really push the boat hard on turns without it reving itself and almost struggling a bit. Once I give it a second and lay off the throttle I can then hit the throttle hard and push it onto plain with no issues. It def acts likes its just reving on those hard turns and not digging in so to speak. tough to explain, but this is my 3rd boat and seems strange. i had a 700lx w 115 and a 882 w/150 prior.

I appreciate all the help.. if I am not making sense, just let me know I would be happy to try to expand or re-explain. I need other 911 or 929 owners to help me out here (or any seasoned owners for that matter)..:(

Sorry I can't help you out with any problems,,,,but that is one sweet boat.:wub:

Steve

ya she is sweet regardless of the points above. I got stealth charger, keel gard, nitro embroidary, 332c in dash, and 334 lowrance soon to come on deck, 109lb digital motor guide, spare tire, hot foot, on wheel trim lever, and anything else available (except verado engine :( )

She's beautiful Jake.. SOme of the "big boat" guys will be around after the weekend to help you out I'm sure.

Uncle Billy

I'm not an expert, but I do have a 911 and I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once.

I have the 250Xb, and I max out around 68-70 if I really push it... even that being the case, I think your mounted a little high... I've experienced the same things in turns (prop 'blowout' I think it's called)... the 911 will drive different, very different, than any other boat out there.

What prop do you have on it? You might need both a drop of an inch and pitch higher.

Main thing is to take your concerns to the dealer and get her dialed in... that and seat time for the rest.

Perty boat!

welcome to a 911.. the steering wheel is on the left hand side (but its a center console in a sense)..

jake....i'm not a "big boat" guy, but i did alot of research and consulting with engineers and boat guys when setting up my 882. it sounds to me like your motor may be set too high. a big rooster tail can be a pretty strong indicator of that problem. also remember to watch your tach as oppsed to the speedo for the right trim angle for top speed. full trim isn't always necessarily the best for full tilt boogie. good luck.....and what a sweeet ride!!

Jake,

First thing, SWEET ride

Second thing is get past the break in period first before you worry about speed and ride, If I am not mistaken ( and I may be wrong on this ) the opti has settings in the computer that will not allow it to reach top end until the break in is completed. the 911 rides and drives like no other boat out there. all of that said it sounds like you may be a little high on the jack plate, Is it adjustable or a fixed plate? if adjustable you might want to try and lower it about 1/4 inch or so.

I wish I had that kind of problem...that would mean I would have a sweet ride like the one you have!!!! Nice boat and good luck!

I have a 2002 Tracker Avalanche and I'm satisfied w/ my 125 on it for now. It would be nice to have a bigger o/b but it's better than what I had before....which was nothing.

Jim

not sure if this is comparing apples to oranges, i have a 250 verado on my 911, prop

is 3.5 below pad, tempest 25p prop, and i get 73 mph/gps @ 6200 rpm, the rooster tail

is about motor cowling height. what is the rpm @ WOT?

i only have experience with this boat, so i really don't have a point of reference on pin

point turning in another boat, but i find that if trim it down some, back of gas a little, and slam

it into a turn, get straight and pound the throttle, trim it back out. works for me ;)

obtw, the dealer strongly recommended to me NOT to get the 225... :unsure:

pics in my folder.....

Can anyone confirm if the motor actually has something built in to prevent top end speeds during break in?

I have a fixed plate straight from factory. I am definetly experiencing blow out, and I guess i need to somehow see if this is me pushing it too hard or the engine height needs to be adjusted.. kinda sux because im afraid to dig her into a turn.. my 882 use to dig right in..

is there something i can check on the engine/jackplate to see where its set currently?

also regarding the RPMs, what should I be looking for or how should I manage it? I dont recall what RPMs I was seeing when i did start to top out

Jake I hafe a 901 with the 200 opti and yes it does , The opti really needs that break in period so BE patient . Remember to always ,always let the motor idle for a little while before taking off. I would always wait at least 5 minutes . This is a must for the Opti. Always use Merc synthetic opti oil . The exta couple of bucks is more than worth it in the long haul.

It does sound like the plate is a little hi for that set-up. Check your prop size and style. Just because you bought it from a dealer do not assume they set it up to run at max. performance,it was( Auburn Hills, MI. BPS Marina.) Also I know that if you start it with the shifter ingaged three times in a row it will return to the break in period.

Like someone said wait till monday or tues. when the real experts are back they will be able to add much more to the pot.

If you haven't had a Opti yet your going to love it ! :wub: If for nothing else the gas milage .

Mark

ok i will repost the questions in a day or so in the event this thread gets burried. keep em coming

that opti is not givimg full throttle yet, sort of. when i was breaking in a friends it would only do 54 tops, then when the double oil kicked off it would top out at 62, so wait till it drops off double oil then you will know for sure.

mike

ok thx.. any way to check if it drops off double oil and clears break in?

also here is the picture of the prop and motor on jack plate. Its def blowing out on turns and tossing a major rooster tail at 1/4 trim...

newboatengine.jpg

newboatprop.jpg

ok, compared to mine, (250xb), that is a good 1/2 -3/4 inches high... there is maybe a 1/4 on mine showing.

I'm running a 25p Tempest as well.

Even with that, I will still 'blow out' the prop on hard turns from time to time, this boat drives different and you have to trim down going into turns to keep it right.

I assume you are running a hot foot.. that will help alot, you have to learn to feather it a bit at times.

HEY guys I dont think the hull design is any different than my 2005 901 200 opti, a foot longer little more motor. What I am trying to say is my boat ran the same as you both are describing. Well I damaged a prop and had to get a new one. When I went into a turn had to back of gas and trim down or prop would blow out and not turn. Tritonglenn from this site told me about a power tech vmx prop from pitstop marine, any way I bought the prop and different boat. Better holeshot, motor does not lug at low rpm, 3mph faster runs higher on pad could keep going much better than my 25 tempest plus. If you know anyone that has one try it, or if you ever get close to Charlotte NC, email me glad to let you try mine.You would by one the same day. forgot to tell you if you can try one of these props dont try to slam it into a turn with out letting of a little it grabs so hard you might come out, I know.Tom

ok so sounds like I need to live with the blow out so to speak on the turns..I will mentioned it to the dealer, but based on your feedback might not be anything that can be done. I just need to trim it down a ton and slow it down a bunch in turns i guess..

When it blows out, is that bad for engine/prop? feels like its revinging in nuetral or something when it occurs and the boat just loses all momentum..

You got this boat from Bob's Shop???

If so, disregaurd my earlier comments and simply take the boat to him with questions....

Bob knows his stuff...and he can't help you if he doesn't know there is an issue.

Jake, When you are ready I'll take you down the lake and go through the boat top to bottom. I think I know that boat a little. Did I tell you how much I like the colors, LOL. Mayby do a head to head against my Verado! Johnny

I run a 929 w/250XS and the factory rep in (R&D) Richard Jennings said to set it up at 5"

his 5" measurement was from the bottom of the boat (pad) and level boat and motor and put the cav plate at 5". i have always went by the prop shaft height. However the pictures you have up is 3rd hole and about 1 1/2" of plate up.

on my 929 its the 2nd hole from top and the plate is about 1" (just measured and its 1")

so you need to lower the plate to 1/4" since each bolt hole is 3/4" to get it right---close.

your pictures show it (the jackplate) at 2" if I saw it right.

just move the motor to 5" cavplate to hull bottom and try it.

you look like 2" high.

I also have 2 large PVS plugs in my prop (26 Tempest ) and one open hole. seems just right to me --motor cavs just a little but gets it up quicker but just as it starts to bow back down I have to feather it a little to keep from "airing" the prop.

Latest posts

Back