Mounting New Lowrance 520C

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg Duggan

Reaction score
Received my new 520c with external antenna and thru hull sonar.

i will start the install this coming weekend but i have a few questions first...

were would you recomend the gps antenna be mounted on a NX882? i saw some were on this board years ago that someone mounted theirs under the deck in the battery compertment, is this a good choice? can i mount it right behind the unit?

also does any one have any pics of there units mounted next to the console? i would like to see a few differant installs before i mount it permently..

i also will be purchasing a Navionics card this weekend, has anyone seen the new platnum card. is it worth the extra 50.00? or should i go with the standard navionics gold card?

Thanks

GregD

I don't understand mounting the antenna under the deck anywhere. Most of the GPS guidance I've seen indicates that the antenna must have clear exposure skyward. Makes sense or those Bow Tie folks [and others] wouldn't manufacturer vehicles with that oogly antenna on the roof. In fact, I wanted to mount mine on an angle even that was highly discouraged. Can't comment on the map cards, but will be interested in responses as I need a new card for my 595C.

I bought the south Texas one. It's well worth the money. If your going to hide the antena you should have bought the internal gps unit. 522c

If you look real close in the Toon folder in my library you can see my LCX-28 mounted next to my console with a RAM mount. It's there you just have to look for it. The GPS puck is mounted directly behind the unit, you can see it in the photo too. You can mount the puck under the dash or in the back as long as it isn't under any metal. I'd do a lot of testing before making it permanent though. Outside with a clear view to the satellites seems best to me.

I wish I had gone with a bigger ball for my large screen unit but it only gets loose in really rough stuff. Let me know if I can answer any questions. I installed my 28HD last November along with a 520 at the bow. I linked them over the winter and they both work great.

NoCAL

I can't tell you how many I've seen zip tied to the rigging under the back corner cap. Make sure it's pretty level and pointing up and you should be good. Try it before drilling and see. Good luck.

i am not worried about hiding the gps antenna, i was told not to order the 522 as the gps antenna was not as accurate.

NoCal, i will check your library. how do like the the Ram Mount? i currently use a johnny Ray mount on my Garmin. i like the fact it can swivle to accomidate any location on the boat with out having to loosen the mount. but i am consdiering going with a Ram Mount with the new unit. im just not sure about the unit being located so high on the mount. im sure the viewing angle is better, but what about running in rough water. i would be concerned with the abuse the mount will take..

GregD

Greg, you can mount it underneath like other mentioned as long as its not under metal. I mounted mine on my 882 underneath on some velcro to "test" it. That test lasted over 3 years and it always worked perfect. Where i put mine was on the drivers side if you open the back door on that litle "shelf" kinda deal up under the glass.

As far as the chip goes i would get at least the hotmaps Premimum chip, skip the gold. It has the most lakes in our area and the hd maps of winni and champlain, its totally worth the 150. I looked at the hotmaps platinum one at the marine usa show and the 3d maps are way cool, i just dont know if they are 300 worth of cool or not. I also thought the screen redraws were slow.

edit,

i just noticed your post on the mount. I would get a ram for sure and get the 1.5" ball size. with that it wont go anywhere in rough water and you can swiel and tilt it to any angle you want. They make a 2" short arm version. I got mine from GPS city and it worked out great. Ill put a link to it. I had a johnny ray on mine at first and my 332 almost went into the drink more then once. I dont think the mount liked the weight, i even bought a new one and same thing.
http://www.gpscity.com/item-ram-mou...rt-arm-round-base-mount-1.5-ball/ram111-b.htm

jim

how did you run the new cables? did you just drill a larger hole in the hull were the old wire came thru?

i was looking at the new 520 and the conectors are much bigger than the garmim cables.

do you have pics of the 332 mounted on the old boat? i will probably pick up a ram mount this weekend. i have a BPS gift card burning a hole in my pocket..

I thought the Nav Plat card was 200.00 i can't see spending 300.00 on the card if i can get the platnum for 150.00

GregD

IMG_1995.JPG

Here's how mine is mounted on my 591. I don't know if that helps you with your 882 or not.

Soonerfan

Thats pretty slick, i will check and see my puck will fit there. i don't think the 882 will allow it but its worth a look..

gregD

Thats the same spot i used on my z7, it was the easiest spot i could find to mount it.

To answer your questions gred, yes i did have to make the hole bigger on my boat to get the wires thru. I dont think i have any pictures of my 332, it basically was just mounted on the ram with the wires thru the fiberglass with a plastic trim covering the hole. I think i got the trim peice from northern bass.

Your right the hotmaps platinum is $200, for some reason i thought they were more money then that. the hotmaps premium is 149. From what im told by navionics when i called is both chips have the same countour line maps on all the same bodies of water but the platinum has the 3d overhead views. for $50 the 3d may be worth it but it is on a select few lakes that have HD maps. i know winni is on that list and champlain is too i think. It looks liek they dont even make the hotmaps gold any more, they still make the marine charts in "gold" but regardless you want hotmaps because those are the ones that cover inland water.

The biggest problem with mounting it under the deck is you will lose the signal when you non-boater stands over it... Yes I was that non-boater. It is best for it to have a clear view of the sky.

BF

thanks for the input guys, i will go with the ram mount and mount the puck either behind the unit or on the deck next to the console.

now if the ice would just melt i could go test it out..

GregD

I've seen a lot of pictures where the GPS antenna is mounted in the corner behind the drivers seat and the side of the boat. It seems like in a recent post someone commented that the antenna should be mounted away from the unit or other equipment or something like that.

Gene

Lowrance recomends 36" between them.

under fiberglass is fine.

stay away from the Johnny-Ray in rough water.

Get the platinum.

I see my work is done here :)

Mini, is that 36" from the unit or the transducer? Why?

It's 36" from the unit to cut down on interference. However, I've seen plenty mounted within a foot of the unit with no problems. The one on the front of my boat (520C) is less than 12" away. The one on the rear (28CHD) is about 48" away. No problems with the signal on either. However... I'm not reading the one on the front of my boat when I'm at speed... so I don't know if the distance is affecting it when going faster than trolling motor speeds. I don't think it does, as it does not loose signal. At least not that I know of....

All the best,

Glenn

My puck is about 10" away from the head unit. Never had a single problem with finding or holding signal.

NoCAL

I suspect Lowrance might have some scientific performance information that shows peak performance when the puck is at least 36 inches away from the unit. Garmin probably has scientific performance information that shows open air exposure for the puck provides optimum performance. I suspect that the level of performance exceeds the average fisherman's ability to tell any real performance difference if manufacturer recommendations are not adhered to strictly [and that comment is in no way intended to imply that anyone on this forum has less than perfect GPS reading and interpretation skills, equipment, or ability to follow instructions].

Please note that lack of icons in this post should not be interpreted as meaning this post was sent with anything but a song in the poster's heart.

I did a quick look through the online 520c owners manual and saw nothing that said where to place the antenna other than it should have a good view of the sky. Obviously, mine is right next to my console with a console mounted unit. I have had no ill effects at all... that I'm smart enough to detect anyway:rolleyes:

;) I think Garmin and Humminbird both say the same [note the words might not be exactly the same and I recognize that]. I've always interpeted that to mean "open air" and I've been told the same a few times; once by a Humminbird POC. I'm going to try about 36 inches behind the unit on the shelf under the gunwhale cap; that might save me from drilling holes I may not need later on.

Latest posts

Back