Mounting a new minnkota trolling motor on a 170DC

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Sandberg

Reaction score
Hello,

Just wondering if anyone else ever put a new trolling motor onto one of these boats? I am having a bit of a issue, when I took the original motor guide off it was just bolted flat to the bow of the boat so when put the new maxxum 65 on I just bolted it flat to the bow again. But the bow of the boat slopes forward and to the left so when I put the motor down the shaft angles backwards and when you let go of the foot control the motor spins to backwards and when you try to go forward under alot of power it shakes back and forth because obviously it wants to spin around backwards again. My solution is to raise the front of the mount of the bow by 2 1/2 inches and the left side by 1/2 inch so it sits flat and the shaft goes strait down, but lol how can thise be done do the make a mount to do this? I coulde just use some spacers but it would look kinda weird being raise up off the boat lol. Has anyone else ever had to do this?

When i had my 170DC my Motorguide 24 volt had a bit of an angle but it never bothered anything. That motor kicked @$$.

fatrap

my old MG was fine as well but it was only a 35lbs thrust lol. This new one works great if I can just figure out how to mount it flat.

Like I said my was angled and it worked fine. Mernards has plastic board. Usually an off white. It pretty much cuts and sands like wood. Comes in a couple thicknesses. You could possibly cut some shims or taper a piece of it by sanding one end to make a big wedge. My neighbor did this with his Larson Fish an Ski. Looked pretty professional too. You might struggle to find Motorguide bolts long enought to go through all of that. I couldn't reach my arms up far enough to hold a wrench on a nut an tighten regular bolts. Not by going up the Port side rod locker or through the little plate with the switches on it. Good luck

fatrap

I had the same problem with my Powerdrive, access is so tight, even on the 180FS. I just bought a set of Minn Kota "Quick-nuts" from Jones Trolling Motors - they do not require any access from below deck, just pop them in to a 5/8" hole and then add TM, washers and bolt down from the top! They apparently have various lengths of bolt, I'm using 2" but don't have any shims. Here's the web address, http://jonestrollingmotor.com I have used John for all my TM parts, always good pricing and excellent service!!

Richard

Latest posts

Back