Misappropriation of government equipment

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TritonGlenn

Reaction score
I just got off the phone with a young man that was advertising equipment for trade on a gun site. He was looking for a pistol, which he claimed he would pay cash for. In addition, he tacked on that he had just returned from Afghanistan, and had new Milspec AR-15 magazines, lights, tourniquets, etc... and then added the one that made my blood boil - something to the effect of "As you can tell, I'm military and have access to things that you might want".

To me, that screamed "I can steal from the military and trade you for things that I need". When I spoke to him about misappropriation of government equipment and crimes punishable under the UCMJ, he agreed to remove the ad. He called back a few minutes later to "clarify" (not sure if I believe it or not, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt). He said the items were not taken from the military - they were his personal items, and what he meant by "access to things that you might want" - he "meant" boots, backpacks, etc... but was talking about "buying them at a discount from the PX". I almost ran the BS flag up the pole on that one, but he might be telling the truth - he was very respectful in speaking with me. I cautioned him that buying items from the PX are supposed to be for service members and immediate family - not advertising to the world that he can pass on a tax-free discount to everyone.

He really didn't have much of an explanation for the "tourniquets (military)" part, or the "Milspec" designation of the magazines, etc... - that told me right there - if it's in parenthesis, saying "military", it's more than likely actual military equipment. But I let that go. He sounded shaken. I hope so. I don't like theives. But I'll go one step further and say that if any of my brothers and sisters in arms are stealing from their fellow soldiers/marines/sailors/airmen - they they should be dealt with swiftly and harshly.

OK... I feel better now. Got that off my chest. :)

All the best,

Glenn

Glenn,

I am active duty Army CID (Criminal Investigation Division) and can scoop this guy up if you want to give me his info, just lemme know. Thanks.

JP

Good Job Glenn / JP,

Pisses me off too. Not only hurting himself but his fellow service men and wonem. Not to mention Taxpayer $$$. Someone on the front line probably has a req in for what he is selling. Go figure.

Mark

Happens more than alot know:(

"Equipment" comes up missing all the time here at the base.

Way to go Glenn and JP! I'm former military and still work for them as a contractor and see theft and waste all the time. Makes me sick...

Scott :angry:

Way to go Glenn!!! Nothing worse than a thief and nothing lower than a thief from our sevicemen!!!!! :angry: Your brothers in arms should be proud to see you at home, yet still covering their six. Good job!!! :D

I have a lot of respect for Glenn and his "feelings" about this are probably right on. But I'm not convicting this guy until all the facts are in. If he is stealing then the powers that be should investigate and prosecute! He has just returned from serving a tour overseas for his country, so I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt, for now.

I'm not disrespecting anyone's opinion or mean any offense here, just adding my own.

Uncle Billy

I fully agree Uncle Billy. Innocent until proven guilty, and I am neither prosecutor, jury, or judge - just the person who reported it to the proper authorities. I sent a copy of the posting to that boards moderator and also to JP so he could review it and make a determination of whether the guy should be investigated or not. Could be nothing at all... but my gut feeling tells me something is wrong.

All the best,

Glenn

Latest posts

Back