Ahhh... So THIS is what happened to manners and respect.

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TritonGlenn

Reaction score
I hope you all don't mind me mentioning this again, but I know we have had these types of subject discussions before. I recently had a couple of instances that made me thing "Hmph! No wonder nobody wants to be respectful, helpful, etc...".

Now, don't take this wrong - I'm not advocating being disrespectful or failing to help. I am also definitely NOT changing sides to that type of person. I'm in my 40's and my dad, who is in his 60's, would kick my butt if I ever did.

Three things within a week:

1) My 7 year old son holds the door open for several women at a restaurant. They all walked by him and nobody said "Thank you" or even acknowledged his presence.

2) I notice this lady running down the street after a dog. I catch the dog and ask where she is coming from. She replies "just up around the corner". So I ask her if she would like to borrow my dogs leash to take the dog home. She said yes, thanked me and walked off... AND NEVER CAME BACK. I'm missing a leash now, so if I want to walk my dog, I guess I have to go buy a new one because I have no idea where she lives!

3) Yesterday - I'm walking into Ruby Tuesdays with my son and notice a Bank Card lying on the ground in the parking lot. I pick it up and walk into the restaurant. There are two young teeny bopper greeters up front, and I just wasn't comfortable handing it to them. As I sat down, I asked if the manager could stop by. They said he was, as soon as he finished talking with the family sitting a few tables from us. Just then, I heard the man at that table say something to the manager about his bank card and something about canceling it. So I walked over, waited for the manager to stop speaking and asked him, "Excuse me Sir, are you Mr. (whatever name it was). He said "Yeah". I handed him the card and said "I think this is yours. I found it in the parking lot". He took it from me, sighed and went back to talking with the manager. No thank you or conversation at all. Whatever. My son and I went up to the salad bar and started making our salads when he and his family walked out. He didn't say a word to me. As his wife passed by, she patted me on the back and said softly "Thank you - not everyone would have done that". I said "You're welcome", and they walked out. But the guy who owned the card never even acknowledged me.

Now, I know - no big deal. But if you ever stop to wonder why people don't hold open doors for others, return valuables they have found, or loan a neighbor something they need - you might want to consider that the "nice" people simply got tired of being used, abused, or otherwise ignored completely for their efforts. My mother always claimed out rewards for our deeds were awarded in heaven - but man... some people sure make it difficult on those of us who put forth the effort. :)

Ahhhh... ok. I feel better now. :lol::lol::lol:

To all you nice people out there that constantly put forth the effort to help your fellow man / woman - Thank you from someone who truly does appreciate it! Keep up the good work!

All the best,

Glenn

Glenn, this is one of my biggest soap box issues. When I was a kid, we pulled over when a funeral went by, and we waved when we passed someone on the street whether we knew them or not. The hardest thing for me to get used to when I moved to No VA and the DC area was the lack of "give a sh*t". When I pass someone, look them in the eye and say "how are you", I would like to at least hear a grunt. What you get at best is them ignoring you, at worst they look at you like you just tried to steal there wallet! Trying not to become that way myself, I still nod and say hello to just about everyone and make it a game to try to shock them into acknowledging me!;)

There are still some gooduns out there. Had a clerk in Pep Boyz pick up my wallet and lock it in a drawer until I could get back. I gaver 20 bucks even though there was no cash in it (never was). I hold the door for women all the time, if they don't say thank you, most do, I blurt out in a loud voice YOU'RE WELCOME!! :lol::lol::lol:

TOXIC

Y'all just need to come down to Tennessee......Gotta develop a likin' to sweet tea first tho.

:lol::lol::lol: Tox - Yeah... I've done that too. Not really loud, but simply a sarcastic, "You're welcome!".

I watched this young teenager in Virginia at Chesapeake Square mall holding open the door for a LOT of people. Men with their wives / girlfriends didn't even acknowledge him or try to take his place - they just walked on by, ignoring him like he was a doorstop. After a good two dozen had passed him by, he just shrugged his shoulders and let go. Popped a guy right in the head / shoulder, which embarrassed the guy more than hurting him. I was about 10 feet from the door walking towards him when I saw him let go. I was taking it all in, planning on taking the door from him, as I could tell he was getting frustrated. The guy over-reacted and started to go after the kid when a bunch of us all started yelling at him (the grown man). The man sheepishly retreated into the mall. I laughed my butt off at him.

All the best,

Glenn

We got 'em in TN. also Berry; just ain't as many. It boils down to the parents and lack of parenting. thank goodness for the South and manners!

I am a damn yankee (one wo moved south and stayed LOL) but we were taught better or my dad would have a talkin' to me. One of my major pet peves is going into a restaurant and finding all the rednecks wearing their grease stain hats. Dad always told me you took your hat off when you went inside but not these idiots. Don't get me started taking your hat off at a ball game during our National Anthem. Wish C111 was in the lights so he could take a few of those un-americans out.

I'm done!

Maybe they was just surprised you were so nice ... :lol::wacko::lol:. Doens't explain why they dissed your son.

I know ... eff ewe Marty! :p

"if they don't say thank you, most do, I blurt out in a loud voice YOU'RE WELCOME!!"

LOL! That's the exact same thing I do. Sometimes I'll stop them and say "Excuse me, sir - I think you forgot something... " and we all know how that ends. Luckily, I'm 6'2" and about 240 so no one really has much to say.

You know what it boils down to, especially in Atlanta? These rich morons who think they're entitled to things like that. They think somehow they've earned people holding doors open for them and don't need to say thank you. I share a lot of the same feelings/thoughts you all do. I was raised to be thankful for what I have and for when someone does something nice for me.

I was on the lake yesterday. I don't have a depth finder or anything on the drivers area of my boat (i tore it out because it was old and crappy) so I was stopped, off to the side of a channel, checking my phone's GPS to figure out where the heck I was. I hear this *BWWWWAAAAA* headed my way and I look up to see about a 40' speed boat headed STRAIGHT FOR ME. I didn't even have time to get moving - he seriously came within about ten feet of me at FULL SPEED. If any of you live in/near Atlanta you can probably appreciate the following: My dad put it into prospective for me. He said, "Son, just think about all the idiot drivers in Atlanta. All the inconsiderate, moron drivers. They're out there with you on the lake... but no lanes, no lines, no speed limits. Just keep that in mind."

Unfortunately, far too many of the younger generation (I'll leave it to someone else to determine the proper age group on this one) just simply have not been schooled properly. I was raised by my Mom and Stepfather - who was a Drill Instructor in the Marines at Paris Island in the 50's. He has been gone for a number of years now, but I believe that if I didn't hold the door; say Ma'am and Sir and other standard responses, he would still be waiting for me at home with his 'board of choice'! Great memories.

You can tell when you see someone that has been brought up properly - problem is, sightings are far to few!

Tex

Oddly enough,...I get more "Thank you's!!" from the GUY's than I do women when I hold the door for people....

Not worth coppin' a tude over no replies though,....I'll still do it regardless,..however, I WON'T bother holding it open for any "pant's down below their ass, hat on backwards, jive talkin' street urchin' yappin' on their cell phone!!"

I have my priorities....;)

Mac Couldn't agree more. If you gotta hold your pants up with one hand I ain't holdin the door either!

Only a small percentage of people now a days have the manners that we were taught and so many times I want to let that door shut in front of them cause I know they are not going to acknowledge that I was being polite. I hold the door and smile whether they say something or not because it is the right thing to do, it's about the way I feel about myself and not the way they feel about me.:)

Personally i don't just think its confined young people, i see tons of rude and inconsiderate people every day of all ages, shapes, and colors. I think our society as just turned people into entitled, self centered jerks.

I ride the MBTA train into Boston every day and the stuff i see on that train sometimes just boggles my mind. There's the people that will practically throw you out of the way to get on the train so they can have a good seat(there is a ~60 year old man that does that every day at my stop to anyone between him and the door), or the people that will lie down on a 3 person seat so they can have it to themselves on an otherwise crowded standing room only train. Then theres the cell phone talkers that never shut up, etc, etc.

I can deal with those idiots well enough by tuning them out and going about my day but there is one guy that really got me to the breaking point. Where i get on the train in the morning i normally always get a seat and sometimes by the third stop the train is jammed with people. I always sit at the front of the train furthest away from the door on the front car. Well one day about two years ago a pregnant lady who looked like she could pop at any second wandered thru the train all the way up to where i was sitting. Not one person on the entire car had the decency to offer her a seat, the train was packed so it was a good bit of work for her to get thru the train. As soon as i saw her i offered her mine and i got up. She never even had a chance to sit down and this worm of a man decided to slink right into the seat i just left. This guy was id say late 40's early 50's and otherwise able bodied, he knew who i got up for and why but he didn't care, his agenda/comfort was more important then someone else's regardless of the situation. Needless to say i got into a very one sided discussion about what he did and why he was filth and lower then dirt on the humanity scale. A few others on the train also expressed their displeasure with him too(although i think they are all hypocrites since not one of them offered up a seat for this woman). He eventually got up and actually left the car because he was kind of ashamed of what he did.

I think it's time for somebody to say something like "Kids today don't know what it's like to walk 5 miles to and from school every day. Uphill. Both ways."

Since when did being polite become about others actions? Its about doing whats right. If I'm not acknowledged for holding the door, well so be it, I'm still gonna hold the door, I'm doing the polite thing. And for me, the people who do acknowledge the gesture make it totally worth it even stacked against all those that don't. I can't control who I hold the door for, or whether they lack the grace to acknowledge it. But when a teenager comes up and says thank you, I smile and focus on the ones who got it right.

I had a real 'strange' thing happen on the way out of the building going home yesterday. I was going through the double doors to the parking garage and saw that a woman was about 6-7 feet away about to go through the same doors the other way. I politely help the door I went through wide open and waited, affording her the opportunity to step through.

Not only did she not go through the doors, but gave me the evil eye and pushed on the closed door like she was giving me a stiff arm.

Tex

I do the door holding thing,also for my wife to get in the car. Stand when a woman enters the room, etc. But when it comes to wearing a cap in a restaurant, I have a different perspective now for you. I had a kidney transplant about 4 years ago and they said I would be prone to skin cancers since my immune system is lowered. I have had 9 in the last 4 years. Four were on my "bald spot" on my head. After the surgery, I could not wash my hair for a few days and would end up in a cap for 2-3 days. I still would go to restaurants (not alot though), but I figured nobody wants to see blood and stitches and bad hair while they are eating, so I DON'T take my hat off. Anyway, while you are judging someone for their "bad manners", maybe they are the ones showing some manners to you and you don't know it. Just a thought.;)

Back