Mini or Glenn, i need an opinion on my 520c problem.

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim B

Reaction score
Hey guys i have two issues with my 520c that i need to get resolved. One it pretty cut and dry the other not so much. Since you guys are the resident experts on Lowrance sonar here i think you may be able to help or at least give me an opinion.

The issue is nema 2000 networking. I have a 332c and a 520c networked together and sharing a gps puck on a red nema network. The 332c will see and use the GPS every time without fail regardless of if its at the front or back so the backbone works and its got good power. The 520 on the other hand works when it feels like it, it was fine at first but now it wont work 80% of the time. I have deconstructed the network more and eliminated the 332 and the 20 still wont see the gps. Im thinking i have a bad cable between the t connector and the unit or the unit has something wrong with it. Im leaning too something being wrong with the unit and this is what i need your opinions on.

When i look at the sonar picture on each unit there is a huge difference in the quality of the picture that i see. At first i thought it may be the transduser that i had the 520 plugged into that is a glue in the hull deal. Today i decided to experiment a little and i dont believe thaqts the case. What i did was I took both units and used the same transducer on the trolling motor as a test swapping them off to compare the picture. I exprimented using the exact same settings on both and also trying to adjust both for the best possible picture. Here are examples of what i get.

332c.JPG

520c.JPG

Im sure you noticed that the 332c was much smoother over all. Generally on that unit the picture is very sharp and clear and had been for the 4 years ive had it. On the 520c its very blocky and its like that regardless of depth or bottom composition. It almost looks like its zoomed way in but its not. In color mode the 520c is almost unuseable. I can play with every setting on the 520 and i cant get it to look any better then what i have above. Im thinking there is something seriously wrong with this unit. Thoughts?

You need to call Linda Colt. I dont have her contact info, but apparently she is the go to in cust serv.

I dont know what to tell you, but haveyou tried a hard reset? Looks like you are running the units in greyscale....why?

Yea, i have tried both hard and soft resets to no avail. The sonar has been that way since day one and i didnt think anything of it at first. I figured it was a bad transducer install from the factory and i was going to have to re glue it. That was until the gps stopped workign and i swapped the units so id have gps at the console. I noticed instantly that the crap picture followed the unit so thats when i started playing with it to see if theres a problem.

They are in greyscale the pictures i took came out better then they did in color for some reason.

On the 520c i also get all red and orange from top to almost bottom if i run it in say white background. Its almost unuseable in that mode. the 520 works a world better in greyscale, the 332c is fine no matter what mode.

I take it you think something is wrong with that 520 as well?

thanks for the quick reply.

On the 520c i also get all red and orange from top to almost bottom if i run it in say white background. Its almost unuseable in that mode. the 520 works a world better in greyscale, the 332c is fine no matter what mode.

I know I'm not Mini or Glenn, but I have spent a few years working with the folk you need to contact. You definitely have a problem with the unit if the above quoted is the case. Ditto Mini's remarks about Linda Colt ([email protected]) on service issues getting resolved. Heather is another one to ask for if Linda is swamped (1-800-324-1356). I bet you have a software glitch or just a corrupt head unit. Either way, they need to handle it for you. Good luck!

Thanks again Dan.

Folks if you have never had the pleasure to talk with "Big Dan", you are missing out on one of the finest people in the fishing industry. He is a great person and I am proud to know him.

Just an FYI :)

Thanks for the advice guys.

I just got off the phone with Lowrance and explained what i was seeing. They think my 520 has a problem and gave me an RA# to send it in for repair. The guy i spoke to said they try to turn them around quickly so hopeully i will have it back soon.

From the time they put their hands on it until it's on its' way back to you is usually about a 48hr. turnaround. They don't let 'em gather any dust!

Latest posts

Back