520c Sonar problems fixed Finally!!!!

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim B

Reaction score
I posted a while ago about some issues i was having with my 520c both with sonar performanc ein shallow weedy water as well as the nema 2000 networking between the 520c, my 332c and gps module.

It looks like i have both issues resolved. The easy one was the nema 2000, the connector on the unit was bad. Lowrance replaced the unit quick and thattook care of it but the issues with the sonar remained. The problems i was having was related to being in water less then 15ft deep that had any sorts of weeds or soft bottom. The picture would pixleate and i would get a ton of surface clutter to the point that it was almost unuseable. I went back and forth with Lowrance for like a month and 3 units later i finally got it fixed. The last time i spoke to Lowrance i finally spoke to someone that had a clue and he informed me that this is a known issue with the newer firmware that ships in the units. I had also updated mine to 2.3 to accept the 3d navionics. he sent me the version 1.7 firmware which does not have this problem and indeed its problem solvedlike he said. It works a ton better then before and its almost as good as my 332c. I did loose the 3d navionics capability but i find that that is no big deal and i dont miss it, the standard 2d maps work fine. I wish everyone over there had access to the same info, he knew about the symptom instantly and he said this has been a known problem for a while.

So if anyone out there has a 520c and poor performance in shallow weedy/soft bottom water email me and i will end you the files for the 1.7 firmware. All thats needed is to put the files on a blank sd card and it will install when you put the card in and turn on the unit.

Version 2.4 should be out soon and is supposed to fix all those problems. Plus you should get your 3D Navionics support back!

NoCAL

Latest posts

Back