Mercury Talk

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Travis Smith

Reaction score
As many of you guys know i posted a thred on Mercuyr Marine issues a while ago. Well my dad e-mailed them and they called him at work just a day later. Well they got to talking about powerheads blowing up on the Opti's and all of the other motors. Well it turns out that if you have your motor servced by a "certified" mercury dealer like BPS that if you have any issues that Mercury will step up to the plate and fix the issue if the insurance company wont. Now i dont really think that is too great because thats saying that we have to spend that money that we use to but new boats and Mercs on getting them serviced at a "certified" dealer. Now i dont know anybody who takes their boats to any place to have your plugs changed, your engine fogged in the fall, ect. All Mercury wants to do is have somebody to pin it down on, the dealer down the road form us that we bought our last boat from.

What the customer service rep at mercury did also so is that you must follow your service manual on doing proper maintence on your outboard.

Just thought you guys would like to know.

T.S.

i emailed merc with a question and they said i had to contact my local dealer. i thought to myself, now thats customer service. there is that mfg / dealer relationship thing again. i wonder who learned it from whom?

jd

Travis -

It is only good business sense that, if a company is going to put themselves in a position where they may be responsible for claims amounting to thousands of dollars, they require the consumer go to someone who is properly trained to work on their product.

Likewise..... When the consumer has a motor that costs well over $10,000..... It is cheap insurance to have a factory-trained mechanic working on it! Especially with the complicated electronics in the Opti!

me!

I had a starter gear go out on my 2002 90 on Dale Hollow two years ago and found an "Authorized Merc Dealer" there on the lake but, they made me pay for it up front...Now I thought that was kinda' strange but, went ahead(I wannted to fish).

Tryin' to get that reimbursement from Merc was like milkin' a bull...I thought I was gonna' have to take somebody to court.

TEE

As a side note: A local radio staion ran a "Fear Factor" contest a few days ago and one of the challanges was to drink "bull milk"! I didn't go, but one could only imagine.

Donnie

Latest posts

Back