Mercury 60HP Shift/Throttle Adjustment

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt Kling

Reaction score
Hey guys - I have a question on my 60HP 4stroke that hangs off the back of my Tracker 175... Shifting into gear is a little tough, the hammer doesn't shift smoothly. Once it's in gear - the throttle is pretty easy to adjust. Getting it out of gear it's really tough and I am almost to the point where I fear breaking the plastic handle forcing it out of gear. It's very tough to get out of gear.

Any simple adjustments you guys know of that I could mess with to make it easier to get in/out of gear?!? It's should be this tough. And it's getting worse.

How does it shift with the motor off? It sounds like a bad shift cable. The way to tel would be to unhook the cable from the motor and try it then.

I haven't tried to shift it with the motor off because I've read not to shift in and out of gear without the motor running.

When I unhook the throttle cable it helps a little bit... Someone mentioned a preload adjustment. I have to try and find where that is!

The most difficult is when it's in gear and I try to shift out of gear into neutral. It's annoying and I feel like I'm going to break the shifter cause it's plastic. I don't know how to adjust tension on these cables.

I was thinking about just replacing the cables (both shift and throttle) but I don't know how to adjust them correctly once they are installed.

Latest posts

Back