Mercedes-Benz??? Huh????

• Thread starter William H. (Bill) Barham
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

William H. (Bill) Barham

Reaction score
Ok, here's the "problem?" The woman who bought my next door neighbors house last year still can't occupy until she retires late next summer. She works overseas. So until then she has rented the house to two guys aged about 30 and 35 yrs. respectively. They got a very good rental deal with the promise that they would do some repairs and complete the bare upstairs into a finished 'great room'. They were both carpenters at one time but haven't been for quite a while. Much to my displeasure they have been borrowing tools from me since they moved in last January or so including moving my chop saw and table saw over there. I didn't say anything because anything I asked of them they would help me do, and Nancy would say "Oh for Pete's sake, they're only tools and they're right next door. You've seen them every two days, have they hurt anything?" Anyway, one of the guys buys Mercedes Benzes, fixes them up and then sells them on E-Bay and he does pretty darn well doing that. He said he finds the cars at auctions, estate sales and so forth. Teasingly I have always kidded with him that when he came across the perfect car to let me know and would say "ok" and then and we would both laugh about it.

Well, this past Saturday he pulled a car out of the garage he had been working on. When I saw him I shouted hi and he said to come on over and I did. The car he had and had fixed some little odds and ends on was a 2001 E-320 4-Matic Mercedes Benz, silver in color, 81,000 miles, all leather interior and very nice. He asked me what I thought and I said it looked great.

He said he thought there was a vibration you could feel in the steering wheel when you were driving and would I mind taking it out and reporting back to him what I thought.

I said "Oh Okay" and jumped into it. I drove around for a good 1/2 hour and didn't feel anything and told him so when I got back. He asked how I liked it and I told him it was

probably the nicest car I have ever driven. He said "okay then, I've seen you trying to get in and out of that truck of yours so how about if I sell it to you." I laughed and told him there was no way I could buy that and my truck wasn't that bad to get in and out and besides, I needed it for the dogs and boat. And Nancy had her Mini-Van too. He had the Kelly Blue Book right there so I grabbed it and that car listed at about 12,000 in good condition. He then told me that since I was always saying for him to let me know when he found a nice car and that both him and his friend had sponged off of me tool-wise, ladders wise, and anything else they needed all year, he thought $5,000. would be a fair price!!! I didn't think I heard him right and then I thought something must be wrong even though I knew he had already run it through Maryland Inspection because I saw the sticker. The work he had done to it was all minor. He fixed the reverse beeper, replaced a headlight and windshield wiper, and something to do with the CD player.

So, what do y'all think? And please Detroit guys, don't yell at me,ok? Nancy is going to get the money out of the bank this afternoon unless I call and say not to. Not only is it only $5,000. but he's going to the MVA for me where he will have to pay 6% of that $5,000. in tax and then tag and title fees which I figure to be about another $250. So that's only about $4450. that I would actually have to pay for that car.. Oh Yea (gulp)

it uses premium gas <ugh>.

Uncle Billy

Check what your insurance rates will be. While the car has great safety stats, the minor parts and any type of collision repairs are OUT OF THE ROOF.

Its a used car, doesnt bother me if you buy it!

If you know a reputable body shop, have them make sure that it hasnt been wrecked, totalled out and then rebuilt.. a LOT of that going on. Due the dilegence on CARFAX reports, etc.

That said.. even if it comes back UNCLEAN, if you are planning on just keeping it and driving the heck out of it for a few years: here's a calculation I typically apply: Total cost of ownership (TCO). Take your purchase price, plus maintenance costs anticipated, throw in some $$ for unanticipated repairs. Fuel is a given with anything and unless the particular model is way good or way bad, doesnt much matter in the big picture. Total em up. divide by the number of miles you HOPE this car lasts you (if you put 10K a year on it and hope it lasts 6 years.... 60K miles.

Its a used car like Mini says.. but the price sounds like you wont be burnt even if you uncover a few warts.

If you don't work on it yourself...you have to consider what it will cost if something does go wrong also.

Sounds like a good deal though if it were inspected;)

Sounds like a good deal to me>>>>>>>>> I would go for It..

I have a Brother-in-law that lives across the street from a guy that does exactly the same thing with Mercedes and Volvos. He gets them from auc tions, etc. and fixes and sells just like the guy next door to you. He is easy to find and generally has one or two cars in his driveway/garage. I have looked at a couple and passed because I am a truck guy. But, my B-I-L tells me that he moves 3 or 4 cars a month. As far as my B-I-L knows the cars his neighbor sells sell for 50-75% of "Blue Book". So, applying that it would seem that your $4500-5000 is below the usual price ($6,000-9,000) from a similar seller. The price then seems reasonable.

The factors pointed out about insurance and repair costs are valid. I think you can buy a whole front clip for my F-150 for the price you pay for a driver's side rearview mirror for a "Benz"... LOL

But, Billy... you are probably a "Benz" kind of guy... leather patches on your sport coat sleeves, a briar pipe and a side by side LC Smith and a Britanny. But, maybe Nancy will keep you if you "clean up" a bit, add a little class... :eek: LOL

I'd buy it Bill what the hell you only go around once right. Then get a apple cap and a cashmir(sic) jacket and a white silk ascot. Get a french poodle for the passenger seat and your set.

:lol:

fatrap

seriously If you want one I'd get it.

Hell buy it and then turn around and sell it for 10K after the guys leave at the end of the year! You get to drive a great car for a year and make 5K at the end of the deal. We have a C-class and yes the repairs are costly and the premium gas adds up too. We put in mid-grade every other fill-up. They are great cars, my wife and I will probably upgrade to an E-class (used) at some point.

NoCAL

Bill - If you and Nancy think you'll enjoy driving it, and the $5k won't put a dent in your medical/food/mortgage, then hell buy it, drive it and ENJOY! Sounds like the guys are decent folks, and since they repair/rebuild, if you do have problems they can probably help.

I had a friend who bought a use E300 years ago with 100k on it, looked brand new and their CEO wanted to know how he bought such an expensive car on his salary!! LOL

They are safe, reliable and darn nice cars!

Trep

My Mercedes is the only SUV I regret selling. So did you get it or what?

Yea, I got it!! And he delivered it, tags and all right to my driveway.:D I just had to!:D I realize everything about it is expensive but geeezzz it's a nice car!:rolleyes: I did have a message pop up that said "check brake fluid level" and as I can't open the hood (ok, let's hear it) the guy next door is going to check it for me.:eek:

Okay, a little story.. Nancy and I went for a drive over to my big sisters. Not having the owners manual I was checking out buttons and switches. After puhing one of them, still not sure which one, Nancy and I heard a telephone ringing. Finally I saw two telephone symbols on the steering wheel, One with it on the hook and one off so I pushed the 'off' button and "Allison" said something and then Mercedes "how can I help?" Nancy answered that we just bought the car and we pushed the wrong button. She laughed and said "that's ok" and hung up. I have since learned it's a service from Mercedes of America. You can call them for just about anything including road service if needed. Cool!!;)

Okay Greg!:p Just what law says a Redneck can't drive a Mercedes???:lol::lol: I just have to figure out how to weld on this new Reese hitch I have.:lol:

I think this beautiful couple deserves a Mercedes!:cool:;)

billnance2.JPG

Thanks All, Uncle Billy

What??...you didn't ask Alison how to "pop the hood release"?....(Yeah...I wouldn't have either!!....LOL)

Glad you like it!! Cool..

Mac

Uncle Billy - you DESERVE to have a nice car like an MB. You served your country well, worked hard, paid your taxes. About time you spoiled yourself (and Nancy) a bit!! Hoping to see the nice new (to you) car soon when you come down to the Lake for some fishing this spring! :)

Jim

Hey, darn right.... That Benz needs a hitch and a brush guard and them kleig lights on a roof rack and finally about 6 inches of lift....:eek:

Now, we're cooking!

Enjoy UB... And, next tinme you call your girlfriend, do it when you are alone in the car... She (allison) won't have to play "service lady"...:p

:D:D:D

Enjoy the ride!! MB builds a great piece of iron. They must! They're German and Vince the Sham-Wow guy told me, "they only build good stuff". :lol: Have a great time turning some heads with your bride in the new ride! :)

Latest posts

Back