Me and my Nitro

• Thread starter Rich Stern [IMG]http://www.zjstech.net/~library/88
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich Stern

Reaction score
I've been thinking of trading up a couple of feet for a while now, and I've talked myself out of it for the coming year. The fact is, I like my 700LX. More boat is fun, but unneeded for how I fish at the moment. And another boat would probably distract me from what's really important (more about that towards the end).

I'm going to go back and do another round of storage reorganization. That tends to be my biggest challenge when fishing two people. I'll update my rod organizer with some of the enhancements made by the other members here, and probably apply it to both rod lockers. Which means my tackle organization will have to move. I'm also going to upgrade the trolling motor. I'm sticking with 12 volts to keep the weight down, (currently have the 48lb. thrust MG) but I want to go to servo steering (either MK Powerdrive 55lb. or MG Excel 54lb). I really like the MG Excel because of the new pedal design. My current MG needs constant attention to stay on course, and it distracts me from enjoying the fishing.

I'm also on a renewed quest for speed. I've gotten 57 gps, lightly loaded in the winter. My goal: 62.5. Nuts, you say? Well, I have a few things to try:

First, I'm gonna get the jack plate dialed in right. I've got a water pressure gage to install, and then I'll start tweaking the height. Next, I just ordered the Seloc manual for my Merc. I'm gonna figure out where that extra 10hp is between the 115 and 125 is. That should be good for a few mph if I can pull it off. If necessary, prop tweaking will take place.

For the coup de gras (this is the important part), me and the boat are gonna lose 80 pounds between us. I'm counting on the boat for 50lbs., and I plan on contributing the other 30lbs. That should be good for at least 1 mph. :)

Seriously, the last point is the most relevant. I'm 37 years old. I haven't gotten any serious excercise in quite a few years. My family has a history of hypertension and heart disease. I don't have a healthy diet. Once upon a time, I was a running nut. I'd run at 2am in the middle of winter, in snowstorms, along the banks of the Charles River in Boston, preparing for the Boston Marathon. That was many years and about 45 pounds ago. While I doubt it would be possible for me to be in that kind of shape again, it's still very much time for a change. I want to be around when my boy grows up, and hopefully have a chance to take a grandkid or two fishing someday. I've tried to improve my habits before, but I've let myself off the hook too easily. Not this time. I'm telling you guys so that you can remind me somewhere down the road to not let myself get off the hook.

Below is a picture of me when Scott and TrepMan came out to fish Hartwell. It's a "maximum density" photograph. :) Next time you see me, there should be less of me. Otherwise, feel free to remind me. I'll post progress reports to keep myself honest.

Feeling unhealthy yourself? Come along for the ride. Any improvement will do. Stop smoking, lose weight, get some excercise, shave a couple of beers off the weekly total, or, if you don't have any of those problems, go out of your way to be nice to somebody each day. Whatever helps you feel better about yourself.

Sorry. Not trying to turn this into an Oprah episode. I've fought this battle quietly a few times and lost. Now I'm letting my friends know so I can't get off easy. It's time.
rich%20with%20bass.jpg

rich,check ebay if you want to trade up.there is 3 nitros online,ones a 20 ft all rigged out,and a pair of 17's.its 1997 912 nitro.the problem,its in washington.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1859910952

i know what you mean rich. i've got the bug real bad to move up to a bigger boat but i love the one i have as it meets my needs for fishin 99% of the time. i think all ya have to do to make it a 125hp is change out the carbs as the 125's have bigger jets. i've got the merc. service manual from mercury if you need me to look anything up. as far as the weight thing goes, just be healthy and happy.

Rich:

Fast boats are fun and to get "fast" is expensive and there is no way around it. But, if you want to run with the big dogs you have to pay big dog money.

Okay that being said, I recommend you go for the improvements on Rich Stern. You're the man driving the boat. If you suffer a stroke from hypertension, your boat does "0" mph and your life is miserable. There's always another boat to buy but there is only one Rich Stearn.

You are too young to give up on your body. If guys would give as much attention to themselves as they do their boats we would have a much healthier place to live.

Also, you'll have a lot more money to use when searching for speed if you're not paying the deductable on your health insurance.

Okay, lecture over. Keep us informed on the boat's progress as well as your own.

Bear

Rich, you didn't mention what prop pitch you are currently running. If my calculations are correct (and you are not over revving the motor), you have a 26 or 27 pitch. To run at the peak of the recommended RPM (5250 for the 115) and attain 62 MPH with a 26 pitch prop will require 100% efficiency...and is therefore impossible. In other words, the prop pitch must be increased while also increasing efficiency (which you are already addressing by weight reduction). You could in theory, throw a 29 pitch wheel on it, but I think that the holeshot would be terrible, and you might also lug the motor which can be as bad as over revving it. The main goal in improving effeciency is to reduce wetted surface of the hull and drag on the gear case. Here are some of the ways of doing so (not neccessarily proven by myself or other wise): 1. Reduce gear case drag by raising the engine mounting height (which you already mentioned). 2. Have a nose cone added to the front of gear case. 3. Wet sand the pad area of the hull. (never tried it, but advocates say that the semi smooth surface traps microscopic air bubbles between the hull and water surface and significantly decreases drag).

As far as I am aware, the only difference in the 115 and 125 is the carbs. Keep in mind that an increase in horsepower does not increase your maximum wide open throttle cap, and therefore will not increase speed without over revving. A HP increase will however allow you to turn a higher pitch prop more effectively, thus allowing faster MPH.

Well, I think thats enough said about the boat...now on to the important stuff. I know exactly where you are coming from. I also have a few bad habits I need to shed (as well as a few pounds). Although I have a few medical issues that have preventing me from exercising lately (bad knee and ruptured disc in my back), I am starting off slow. About a month ago I started walking around a mile per day. I hope this will help build up the strength in my knee and allow me to progress, albeit slowly. The disc in my back is a constant pain (no pun intended) but I can somewhat control it through manipulative exercises. I have considered surgery, but I really can not afford the time away from work. I too have been letting myself off the hook on some of these issues, and hopefully, your efforts will motivate me to do more. I am sure all of us have gotten caught up in the "rat race" and lost sight of our goals and whats important to us. I have 4 kids, and I need to make sure I am there for them and my wife long into the future. I do believe what it boils down to is summed up in an old Marine Corp phrase (which I think Carlos can confirm): "It's mind over matter! If you don't mind, it doesn't matter!"

I also believe that a person can do almost anything they set thier mind to. If you want to become a marathon runner again, I have no doubt that you can. However, something like that requires a great amount of effort as well as time. Time away from the very people that we want to be there for. The real trick is to find a happy medium. A balance of family, friends, work and fun. If you find the secret of doing so, you had better post it!!!!!

Rich - I am glad your keeping the 700lx, I just don't have the money yet to buy her from you :) Seriously i have yet to see a 3 yearold boat that looks THAT good! Keep us informed of each tweak and the associated change in performance, especialy for us slower Tin guys, it's nice to live thru you!! Hey get Scott in on this and see if he can hit 100mph with that 200hp!!

On the personal side I know Zackary and Jeanne love you what ever size you are, but you need to feel comfortable both physically, mentally and medically - that's the important part. We're here for you dude, maybe you should add a section called "Tilt and Trim" where folks can post how they've TILTED the boat (i.e. improved performance) and TRIMMER their weight! LOL

I know I speak for everyone here that we have always appreciated your site, support and YOU personaly!

Now hit the treadmill, slacker!!! LOL

Rich,

For what it's worth, you look pretty trim, as compared to me! What I have done this year, on the personal weight front, is not be on a diet, but rather 'control' my diet. For the first 3-4 months of the year, did real good. My goal was to average 2lbs per week. I've averaged, to date, about 1lb per week. Still not bad. Have slipped some, but need to dial in again.

Like you, need to increase the burning of calories, big time. I have figured out that the treadmill in the basement, just doesn't get it. I've had it on numerous times this year. Do you suppose that if I actually got on it while it was working, that might help! LOL.

Seriously, best of luck with all your goals, most importantly the personal ones.

On the boat side, I'd like to trade up from my Targa to a Fish-N-Ski. However, I need for Trepper's family to grow some more so that I can sell him my Targa (we all know that he needs a bigger rig), and then get the Fish-N-Ski that we want. Trep - you just let me know when you are ready. After you enjoy the ride, room and demo of it in October, you'll be ready!

Tex

You know, Rich..... I'm only about 15 years older than you..... But 15 years ago I could have double-timed it up that hill from the dock to your house..... I'm "living" proof of what heart disease can do to you..... You're a good man with a BIG heart! You take care of yourself - your family and the world need you!

God Bless!

me!

Rich- I can relate to the weight part myself! I'm 6" and about 250lb. I'm 27 years old and have a 23 month old daughter, and agree with what you said about wanting to be around for Grandkids. I need to be 190 or 200 ideally, so I have certainly got my work cut out! I live in Buford if you wanna get together and do some jogging sometime. Always easier to stay motivated if you have a buddy to keep you that way! (Also works for fishing!)

Rich

Join a gym. After a while it gets to be routine going three or four days a week. Lift weights, and do at least 20 minutes of cardio per work out. The added muscle makes it even easier to burn more fat. As a former marathon runner I suspect you know this already. At your age progress should be fairly rapid. I'm 51 years old 205 pounds with 13 percent bodyfat. My four days a week workouts are extremely important to my well being.

Now here's the spanker! You,... post, on this site, a photo of your progress every month! That puts you under the gun as you know we'll all be waiting and watching.

Maybe others will join you and everyone can pose this spring on the front of their boats in their swimming trunks.(A scary thought)

fatrap

PS A weightlifting buddy of mine quit drinking beer and lost 4 percent body fat in six weeks!

Ohhhh noooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!

Does I hear tinges of dat dreaded cabin fev'r settin in?

Pray it ain't so!!!!!!!!

Rich,

I'm in the same boat you are (well, not the SAME boat, but a similar situation.) I'm 37, and will turn 38 in December. My weight has ballooned from 165 my senior year of high school, to 185 my senior year of college, to 225 today. I'm six feet tall, and 225 is a good weight for a football player, but that's not me.

My goal is to get below 200. I'm going to try CMJ's suggestion and cut back on how MUCH I eat. I just don't burn those extra calories, carbs, etc. and its ending up around my middle and on my face.

Maybe we can encourage each other to lose ten pounds by the end of the calendar year, and ten more every three months until we're where we want to be.

How much you eat is the most important, but what you eat is still important as well...I've lost 20lbs since February just by limiting the fat...I eat very little red meat and dairy. I do eat tons of veggies...salad every day for lunch. I have not added much exercise to the plan (racquetball league starts up again here in a few weeks), and I have not stopped drinking beer! So it is do-able...

Just be mindful of some of the diets out there...for me the "no carb" was not practical since my cholesterol is high...still, the easiest way to lose weight is the hardest...leave the table when you're full!!!

az

Hey, I had a salad for lunch today!!! Can you believe it?!??! LOL! We're all on the precipice of something great here, I can FEEL it... :) We need to keep this thread going until we all get real psyched out and ready to commit to doing something good for us!

Oh yeah, one thing though.. I can't give up my Corona. The lime I put in Corona is the only fruit that I consume, and I fear I might get scurvy if I were to stop.. And scurvy's, like, bad..... ;)

Thanks for the support, friends. I appreciate your willingness to share your own challenges.

Let the journey begin.

Rich,

I will reply later with my own challenges, but for now, let me give you one piece of valuable advice....the bigger you get, the smaller the fish look...STRAIGHTEN THAT ARM OUT!!!

Rich - You have an awesome ride! A little dialing in and I'll be playing keep up. As far as weight goes, I've not just kept up, I flat blew your doors off!!(LOL) Seriously, you look fine. Good luck with the weight loss!

Cujo -

PLEASE don't get Rich started on wade-fishing..... He has this obsessive/compulsive personality and, if he starts that and finds out how much fun it can be, we'll lose him and the website for sure!

me!

(At 145#, only under-weighed by the Trepster!)

If your realy 145 Scott then YOU need a diet! 'cause i'm at 132 this morning, and Beka says I need to loose my Love Handles!!!

Dang guys, Scott at 145 and Trep at 132 and Beka is talking about love handels.

Heck, You guy could be my love handels..Ha

Rich. I know were you are coming from. I'm 36 and you know what I look like. 6'4" and 400+ pounds.

I'll join you on that quest for health. I have a slightly larger journey to take, but it's do-able.

Latest posts

Back