Mariner 90 problems

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donald Fruge

Reaction score
Last year while fishing at lake fork my motor started giving me problems. It wouldn't idle and when it did get up on plane it would cut out on me often and then surge back to full throttle.

I have tried all the simple solutions like checking plugs, changing fuel filters, adding gas treatments etc. I finally got around to taking it to a local boat mechanic who has worked on my boats in the past. I asked him to remove and clean the carbs and intall a new in line fuel filter. I went to pick it up today and he tells me that the gas is clean the carbs are clean but its still not running right. He cranked while I was there and it seemed to be idleing fine but he pulled a plug wire and the motor died. Which he says means its not running on all cylinders. He says the compression is fine to. I asked if he thought it was electrical and he said he thinks it may be something with the power pack. I will be bringing it back to him wednesday to look further into it.

Any suggestions as to what might be the cause of the problems.

Wolf :(

It may be as simple as a broken or loose plug wire. I would replace the one that cuts out the motor with a good one and see what happens before I changed out anything else.

Start with the simple solutions first. (and cheapest).:)

He cranked while I was there and it seemed to be idleing fine but he pulled a plug wire and the motor died. Which he says means its not running on all cylinders

Donald, I had a similar problem with my 50 hp which after a carb overhaul turned out to be a bad bulb. Have you change the bulb?

Steve's response made me think back......the mechanic told me that he touched on of the plug wires while the motor was running and shocked the snot out of him. I think I will try to change the plug wires and see if that helps.

Sooner, when you say the bulb are you talking about the in line pump bulb on the gas line. If so it does pump the fuel. Could it cause a problem while running the motor even if it pumps the fuel fine before starting?

Wolf

Latest posts

Back