"Jiffy Lube" for boats

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary Hunter

Reaction score
I would like to respectfully ask the posters on NitroOwners.com a business question and also ask your opinions.

I have a friend who has a lot of money.

He's frustrated about service for his boat and he tells me that many other boat owners, in Florida, NC, etc. have come to him with this question: "Where can I get a quick oil change, lower unit oil change, zerk lubing, etc. without any hassles." ... and "Is there anyway to do a drive-through, with a trailered boat, to have this done in a reasonable amount of time ?" (like a "Jiffy Lube" for want of a better descriptor). (which would include a 15 point boat/motor check ).

He said he would be interested in establishing a franchise ( JiffyBoat?) if it's a viable business plan.

What do you guys and gals think? Would you use such a service?

This is not a joke. He's more than financially able and ready and willing to pursue this venture in order to finally bring drive-through boat service to boaters who don't want to wait weeks (or months) for routine maintenance.

Thanks for any further ideas and/or comments.

Frequency of the fluid changes an lubes aren't comparable for motor vehicles. Therefore, the project may not be as profitable for the long haul. However, great idea, just may not be very profitable. I would love a quick oil and lube, but just don't see the profit in it.

NJD

Plus the fact that the total number of boats on the road is miniscule compared to autos. Now in conjunction with a repair facility it might work, kind of like my car dealership that has a service department and a drive through lane for oil changes, tire rotations, etc.

I'd love such a place close to me. Especially if they could do trailer tires, bearings, hydraulics (check and top off), fuel lines, filters, plugs and lower unit oil changes.

I can see it being busy during early Spring and Fall. Not too sure about all year long though.

I agree with Toxic. It would have to be in conjunction with a repair facility or a pro shop or something. HOWEVER, what about this?

Meld the models of Jiffy Lube and a mobile auto glass repair shop. I would pay a premium to have a mobile service that would go out to my storage unit, do a lower unit lube, oil change, check hydraulics, Maybe even do a winterization all while I am sitting at my desk at work on a Tuesday.

Under this scenario where you would build in your profit would not be the bulk of business like a jiffy lube but the premium you would charge for getting the work done without having to hook up the rig and take it to the shop.

I don't know about you but I work all week and every time I spend a Saturday doing anything with my rig other than running it on the lake I feel like it is a waste!

This is a damn good idea...if you don't run with it let me know...I MIGHT!

I agree with Toxic, as a side to a service business it could be great.

dcj3831, that type of mobile service exists in the north east where i live. There are lots of "mobile marine" services around.

Latest posts

Back