Lowrance HDS5.Anyone Use this?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bass Tracker

Reaction score
I am thinking about buying the new HDS-5

(http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_103484____SearchResults)

Anyone use this? any opinions. Thanks

This will be for my Rear Graph. I fish mostly weedy,shallow water. and very rarely see lakes deeper than 30'.

although i see the navionics chips are pretty expensive ($400-$500).

thanks all

I've been researching electronics for awhile now and these are my findings:

-HDS series are a good option if 3d maps are available. They include the high definition which use to be an option $400.

-Side imaging will be available for the HDS this summer

-Target seperation in Lowrance better than Humminbird's but only in the verticle depth screening.

-Humminbird's side imaging is the way to go. Although lowrance will have something....its not here and will need some tweeking.

For those of you who haven't seen the side imaging, take a closer look. It has revolutionized fishing, and for tournament anglers will greatly reduce pre-fish times. Finding good spots is much easier.

I will be getting setup as soon as I can pony up the dollars.

Pierre

Yes its the money issue. for now atleast. The HB Side imaging is very expensive. Plus i will have to do alot of reading of how the side imaging even works, because i have seen the picture but dont really know alot about how it actually get that image.

ahhh the money issue.....

The HB really is amazing (and so will the lowrance they tell me.) Just fyi when you look at the side imaging picture, the line in the middle is the boat location, the dark blue is the water under the boat (transducer) and the greyscale is the bottom from the boat to the distance identified at the top of the screen (up to 280 feet each side) It can't tell you the depth 100ft away from the boat, but it will show you whats under there. Shadows help you "see" how an rock, bluff, tree is.

the best feature is that you can mark an item you see on the SI, and gps right to it on your trolling motor without ever running over it or disturbing it.

I'd reccomend waiting a bit to see what Lowrance will come out with.

Pierre

Im actually thinking of getting one as well. For both the side imaging in the futire as well as enhanced performance now. From what i can see and things i have read the HDS are superb units. I just need to do some measureing to see if it will fit in the dash on my Z7.

I will upgrade once the Lowrance Si is out for a bit. Possibly next spring.

Back