BIG DECISION..Fishfinder

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bass Tracker

Reaction score
ok all. It's time for the purchase.

Tommorow night or tuesday I will be going to BPS. to buy a new Fishfinder for the rear graph.

The must haves : Decent size screen, GPS, lowrance Or Humminbird

Price Approx $800...

Any recommendations.. I fish Massachusetts 98% some NH

Not sure about "Card selections" i know some come with insight usa.. But i have never owned a GPS unit, so i dont know if that alone is good or i need to buy a navionics chip.. So also looking for help on that....

I did notice a humminbird sidefinder/fishfinder/gps for around $800.. anyone use this technology and recommend it??

Thanks agian all

-Jason

Side Imaging is really where it's at. Such a big advantage. Only Humminbird has it for the moment.

Pierre

I'm with Pierre! If you can spend a little more the 798ci SI is an amazing unit, seems to be around $1000 even, I think its the lowest SI unit. I have it, and LOVE IT! Get the Internal GPS if you can, as it doesn't then require routing/screwing down the GPS Puck. It has 2 cards slots so you can put 1 Navionics map chip in AND a SD card for up/downloading SW and pictures. The base/outline maps are free with any of the Humminbird GPS units, if you need/ require the depth/contour lines or want the 3D maps then you'll be able to add one with the 2 slots.

If you don't want to spend the $$ for the SI unit, then the 788CI is perfect and around $650. Basically the same unit but no Side Imaging.

Trep,

I am afraid that my outboard would be in the way of the "transducer"? I only have a 25HP engine, and it is not on a big plate like the big motors, so wouldnt that alway be in the "view" of the transducer on one side?

Also, I have been reading alot on the SI.I see that you can only use the "SI" at speeds up to approx 6MPH. But at higher speeds I could still use the normal "2d" sonar readings correct??

And yes the two mentioned above are what I have just come down to, (for humminbird anyways). The only thing about buying the "SI" Unit is I would not be able to buy the "Navionics Platinum" chip to due to cost. unit alone is abour $900..

As of now I have the basic Pro Tracker version fishfinder that came with the tracker. It is good for depth thats about all.

I am supposed to buy a new boat (X-5) as of this winter. So maybe just upgrading now to the 788CI and the Nav Chip will be enough. as I said, i never even used a GPS version before with maps. so that should be cool.. and a learning curve as well.

its a tough choice

Oh, Trep.

DO you really attribute, the "SI" to catching more fish? Is it really that good? even in shallow water?

Also, a GPS/Mapping Question... I noticed that both Rivers that I fish alot in my area, are not listed on the Navionics map products, If I was to launch my boat at the rivers, what would show on my graph? would the basic "outline" of the water atleast show? so I could mark some way points etc?

Thanks alot

I'll have to defer to Greg Walters from Humminbird ( [email protected] ) as to mounting on your boat and ability to "see" around it on both sides. the easiest way is to look where the transducer is mounted today, and see if the motor when trimmed down blocks its side view if you will.

Yes over about 6mph the SI function doesn't really work, but the built in quad beam transducer will work with no problem. Think of these new color units as computers and each "screen" or 'view' as a window like on your PC, you toggle back/forth between the views. So when I'm going to run my boat fast I just hit the View button and toggle to the one I like which i have customized to show speed, water temp,clock and the basic quad beam view of the bottom...

I think, though again Greg can help, the outline map would show the lake and you can/could mark your waypoints.

Trep

Don't worry about buying the navionics chip now, it is NOT required and can be added at any time from anyone you buy it from (it just goes into one of the 2 slots). Best idea is to get the unit you will really want for a few years, and then add the chip later if you want/get it.

I'll take any advantage I can on my lake, which has no natural cover for the fish (they clear cut our lake before damming it for the reseviour, so the ability to 'see' a tree, man made brush pile, bridge pilling... is really cool! now if i was cash strapped i'd get the 788CI or even the 3 series color with the GPS antenna built in. I had an opportunity to get the SI and glad I did, but yes there are lots of times when i mostly use the bottom depth for droppoff/hump and such, and for marking/tracking bait. If you do a lot of structure fishing the SI unit is a huge advantage in my opinion.

"If you don't want to spend the $$ for the SI unit, then the 788CI is perfect and around $650. Basically the same unit but no Side Imaging."

I just bought this unit at Walmart online for $588. Combined with a Navionics card it is a fabulous tool.

Humminbird sells a kit fo about $100 that includes a second mount and a trolling motor transducer. The head of the unit has a quick release so that, when I reach the spot I want to fish, I just move the head from the console to the trolling motor mount. It takes about five seconds.

Side imaging will help you identify strucutre, bottom changes and the like that are not really visible with standard sonar technology. And the issue with 'shallow water' is very different, since the side images are going out a long way.

Had my boat out this weekend, showing my brother in law a few of the things that you can do. I routinely can go up in the back of the little feeder creek that feeds our 'inlet' off of the lake. With the boat in 2-3 feet of water, using the side imaging, I can clearly see precisely where the grassline comes out to, where I can only see the tops of the grass from the boat.

Like everything, newer technology takes quite a while to get used to. Does it make me a better fisherman, yes - when I use it properly. It doesn't help me catch fish, but certainly does help me locate where I should be fishing.

Several years ago after first getting it, I was in a fairly major creek channel, looking around. Not really fishing, just scouting. I kept wondering what the 'funny looking bottom' was on the port side of my boat. After going up and down the channel several times, I finally figured it out. It was the actual creek channel. It simply took awhile for me to figure out what it was 'painting on the screen'.

Wouldn't count on seeing other side imaging coming out anytime soon. HBird worked on this for a very long time, and I'm fairly certain that it's very protected. Doubt that they will 'license' the technology to anyone else, but that's their call.

Whatever you buy, make sure the features match what you want. Both Lowrance and Humminbird, have quality units these days (used to not be able to say that about Humminbird - but certainly can now).

For the record, I have three Humminbirds on my boat. Side imaging (yeah, one of the early 'wide screen' jobs), a 787 on the bow and a 595 on the console. Two GPS pucks, Interlink and a Navionics Gold chip (that is a great purchase at a reasonable cost).

Tex

The Side Imaging transducer mounts on your boat transom, just as any other would. Your motor shouldn't interfere. You will lose side imaging at higher speeds, but the dual beam takes over, just like any other fishfinder. I can't really comment on it helping my fishing, because I'm installing a 997 and a 787 as we speak, but my research and time in a buddy's boat has led me to believe that it will help me fish productive waters. I don't get as much time to pre-fish as I would like, so this will help me find good spots and understand why they are good spots by actually seeing them. Thus limiting my time in unproductive waters. Wether I catch more fish is up to me, but my odds will be greater by fishing specific structure. If you fish the illusive brown fish, I think this is a must have.

I'm really sold on this, nothing else allows you to drain the water 480 feet around your boat to take a look at what you are fishing.

P

ANyone use the HDS 5 or HDS 7 from Lowrance?

I read early on they had alo of problems. is this still the case?

All HDS units now have the software problems corrected with the new updated software that recently came out (I posted about it here).

There were not "a lot" of problems. There were some issues that needed to be addressed, but the largest complaint that I heard from customers was that they couldn't use Navionics chips (Navionics is not owned by Lowrance, although many people had that misconception - I don't know why, but they did.)

All the best,

Glenn

Triton Glenn,

In your opinon is the HDS5 a great unit? Or should I wait and get the HDS7 for the extra 1.4" of screen?

Basstrackerma,

The Compact Side Imaging (CSi) transducer of the 798 needs about five inches of clearance between the transom and the motor to work to both sides. Otherwise you will need to trim up the motor so the Side Imaging (Si) sonar to that side does not get at least partially blocked. Options to this would be to install a second CSi transducer and use one of the Si splitter cables (AS-Si-LR-Y) to connect both transducers to the 798 unit or use it as is with the blockage (you can set the unit to display only one side of the Si sonar). Hard to say which would be the best for your boat without seeing it in person.

By the way; the Navionics Platinum mapping cards will only work with the 900 or 1100 series units. The 798 cannot show the additional 3D maps from these.

If the river/lake you fish is not included on the Navionics mapping card you are using it will show you fishing on land. You can though set the unit to ignore the installed map card and display the built-in UniMap instead. Whether the UniMap will include your river/lake or not I do not know. You could check this by looking at the UniMap on a unit that is in a store showroom. Waypoints would show up on water or land, either way.

Greg Walters at Humminbird

gwalters at johnsonoutdoors dot com

Thanks Greg,

To be honest, I think spending money on my boat that I will sell in a few months is just not worth it, due to the 798 only being 5" screen. Also the headaches that may occur with buying extra stuff for the SI to work.

I will most likely go with the Lowrance HDS-5, the RAM mount, and the Nav Platinium Card and just enjoy haveing GPS for once.

Then when i do buy my new X-5 go with the BIG Humminbird units. unless the new lowrance structure scan impresses me.

Does the Lowrance HDS-5 utilize the navionics 3d maps? Thanks all

lets hope i dont kick myself for not going with the HDS-7 (1.4" bigger screen)

basstrackerma,

For several years, I used 5" screens. I can still use them, but it seems like the older I got, the worse my eyes become. Just this year, I upgraded my bow unit to a larger screen unit. I'm a fan of "bigger is better" when it comes to any screens (Sonar, GPS, computer, TV, etc...) If you can swing the HDS7 price, I'd go for it. But if not, the HDS5 is a very clear unit that I can still see quite well. The color is awesome, and I can see it in any light condition.

"The" unit for me in the new lineup is the HDS8. Not too big, but I really like the Command Soft Keys that allow quick access to major functions along the bottom of the screen. I know it's expensive... but wow... what a machine.

I think you would be happy with the HDS5 though. I've sold plenty of them in the Lake Insight model, as well as the Nautic Insight model. For inland lakes, etc... get the Lake Insight. If you fish coastal regions / saltwater - Nautic Insight.

All the best,

Glenn

Yes thanks, I think the HDS5 is what I will go with for now.

I cant find a working link to a "list" of the lakes that Lake Insight consist of? you happen to have a working one?

Thanks

-Jason

Jason,

Let me check on it. I'll get back to you soon.

All the best,

Glenn

I was just reading about some stuff on Humminbirds website.

Can the HDS5 lowrance do this???

"Pressing any arrow on the four-way cursor control instantly stops the sonar graphic display to allow a closer inspection of submerged structure, bait fish, and underwater contours. Movable cursor feature allows you to instantly discern depth of any sonar return and mark waypoints from the sonar screen for navigation. Pressing the EXIT key will exit the freeze frame and the display will start to resume scrolling. Mark the location of fish-attracting structure, bottom transitions, or any feature anywhere on traditional sonar with the Sonar Cursor."

Basically, just like when you "stop" the "SI" reading and mark an object, i am assuming you can also do that to a nice drop off or anything with the "sonar" reading also? on a non-"SI" unit? I would like to know if Lowrance HDS-5 can do that too?

Yes, you can use the cursor and freeze the 2D sonar and mark a drop off, fish, structure or anything else that is shown on the display with a waypoint. When you activate the cursor (even without marking a waypoint) you will get the distance and bearing to the object the cursor is over, as well as the water depth at that vertical location (as if the boat was still over the object) and the depth of the object the cursor is over.

Greg Walters at Humminbird

[email protected]

Greg,

I'm a little confused, I was asking if a "Lowrance HDS5" Could do the "freezr frame and mark sonar". Was your answer a yes to that question? Or were you saying any GPS/finder HB can do that? Thanks

The Lowrance units will do what you are asking about. You hit stop chart, move the cross hairs over to the object you want to mark and hit waypoint. You can then start the chart again and use your GPS to go directly back to that spot. Keep in mind though without side imaging it is just a waypoint directly under your boat. I do find it useful every once in awhile. I have the 520 on the bow and a 28 HD at the helm. When you look at your chart, imagine a little boat at the upper right hand corner. That is your current position. If you go mark a spot on the left hand side, it is pretty far behind you so using the stop chart to go back is a good way to find something you just went over. In the old days, people used buoys!

NoCAL

NoCAl,

Even without Side Imaging, Wouldnt it be same, If I marked what I beilieved to be a "ROCK" on my sonar. I dont see the diffrence in marking that or the "actual" Rock on the Side Imaging, other than knowing it is a rock or not?

Either one is going to be a mark, "Under your boat" correct? Maybe i just read that wrong? Thanks

You are correct. I just think it has more utility with the side imaging. You can mark something 150 feet to either side of your boat. That is a pretty wide swath of territory. With 2D sonar it works just the same it's just a smaller piece of the lake. As I mentioned it could be done with a marker bouy. A side marked waypoint cannot be done with a marker bouy. If it was up to me, I'd get brand new Lowrance units such as an HDS 8 for the console and an HDS 7 for up front and then add in the side imaging when Lowrance puts it on the market. I'm just used to Lowrance.

NoCAL

Thanks for reply.

Yes I am going to Go with the HDS-5, I have never used the GPS, so I will learn that, then focus on the Side Imagaing at a later time.

The lady today from Lowrance told me (After a 35min wait) "If you get an HDS Unit, you will have to update it ALL SUMMER, ALL THE TIME" I am actually nervous to buy it, Thats just alot of money for a possible problem.

This, and the lack of response I received from Lowrance made me decide to changed both my units to Humminbird. I was willing to wait for Lowrance Side Imaging and get into the HDS's but after some time playing with one saw no real advantage from my old unit, and I don't have the time to update my FF all the time.

P

http://www.lowrance.com/en/Products/Marine/Broadband-Sounder-and-Ethernetworking/StructureScan/Previews/

check it out.

all summer, all the time? i doubt it.

yes there will be advancements in software but to think that you will have to constantly upgrade it is silly. once amonth chaeck for software upgrades, if it is newer, all you have to do is download the file to a card, insert card and turn the unit on. the unit does all the work.

I'm just telling you what the lady told me on the phone, It doesnt bother me to update it, it seems easy enough. I actually picked up my new HDS5 from Bass Pro Last night. so it didnt drive me away from buying it :)

Hopefully when i get out on the water on Saturday it wont have alot of the problems I have been reading about.