Navionics Map Issues, Starting to bug me

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bass Tracker

Reaction score
OK So I purchased a Lowrance HDS5 Unit and a 2009 Platinum Navionics East Coast Map Chip, Which cost me $350 for just the chip.

After using it for the past 3-4months I must say I am beggining to think I made a bad decision. But before I go off and start bad mouthing the chip I would like to explain my problem and see if I can get some answers.

So I have used it on approx 8 different lakes in my area and have had the same problem, But this weekend I was very excited to actually use it on a "HD MAP" of "lake wequaquet" in Barnstable,MA. I figured maybe my issues would not be so noticable on a map considered "High Definition". But they were. and it really aggrevates me.

Again this could be 100% my fault..

My problem is, I notice a decent size "hole/drop off" It seems to be 2 of them within 100yards of each other. Clearly a place that would hold some smallmouth bass. The average depth in the area is approx 15' But this "hole" is upwards of 50'+.

So I slowly head towards the area, Looking for the "breaks in depth" and find, NOTHING. absolutely nothing, It clearly shows I should be on the 51' mark and i am clearly in 21' of water????

I realize water fluctuates and GPS could be off, by not nearly by this much?? I circled the area for about 5-10min and found nothing that would resemble the area on my "map". I tried this on 3 diffrent locations on this lake and all of them came up empty..

Spending $350, which is a LOT of money, In my opinion should get me results far better than this, I am having big time buyers remorse and wishing I just went with the cheaper alternative and got Dr.Depth. as these maps as good as they look and as much information as they "show" if they are not going to be "ideal" then why did I spend $350 for them??

again, I am not saying I am not doing something wrong, so please just remember that, I am looking for advice and support. Ask any questions you think could help. Thank you ALL very much

I have been with Navionics for 10 years now and thi sis the first time I have heard of a problem. There is a feedback section on their website:

http://www.navionics.com/ReportAProblem.asp

Please fill that out and let me know if you get any resolution. I will try to help you in any way I can.

Alos can you please give me some coordinates to that location. I will try to find it on my chips or other map sources.

I dont think your "doing anything wrong" per se these maps are really just a guideline and should be taken as such. The maps are not 100% accurate, the gps isnt 100% accurate, thats just kinda the way it is. Thats one of the reasons why i suggested back a while ago when we had the original discussion that you not buy the platinum since it offers no better countour maps then what the premium offers it just costs more. The extra you pay for is the overhead 3d view which in my opinion is pretty much a useless feature unless you have a big screen unit.

I find the navionics are really valuable on places where i fish deep water like Champlain, Squam or Winni. They get me close to what im looking for and close is plenty good enough. One thing i have noticed is when im looking for a hump or whatever i get a lot closer using the map now then what i did before. My new Humminbirds have a 50 channel GPS VS the 16 channel i had on my Lowrance and its a lot more accurate. One good example i can think of is that wreck i put a picture of a few weeks ago. My navionics chip in my new unit put me pretty much right on top of it which i was suprised by.

BTW where did you buy the chip for $350? I thought they went for $200 for the platinum.

Jim you may be right on the price, I may have messed that part up, I got it at BPS the same day i got my HDS so maybe I screwed something up in my mind. But either way. alot of money lol.

Mini I Will look into that now. Thanks

-Jason

Yep it is, when i got my platinum last year i was totally disapointed by the 3d overhead view and i felt liek it was money wasted. I still like the countour maps and i havent found anything thats better yet.

Latest posts

Back