Lovin' TX

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TritonGlenn

Reaction score
Came down to visit this weekend. So far, all my plans are working out great for this week. I registered my wifes Jeep, went get a Drivers license and registered to vote (I'm officially a Texan now) :p , and stopped by Bass Pro Shops for a fishing license so I could take my son fishing. Found out something about TX, that as a sportsman, I REALLY like... Fishing and Hunting licenses are FREE to active duty military residents. Since I am officially a resident, and I don't retire from the military until September, my licenses / tags were absolutely free - saltwater, freshwater, general hunting, big game hunting, all tags, etc... free. I know that in VA, where I was considered a "resident military member", I paid full price for all my licenses, and with hunting, fishing, archery, muzzleloader, etc... I paid well over $100 for my licenses. I fished for the first time here today - from the shoreline at a little city lake - Boerne Lake (pronounced Bernie). The wind was high, and we didn't catch anything (hard to even cast), but I fished for the first time today here... and still had fun - especially since my son was with me.

All the best,

Glenn

Welcome to Tejas tritonglen. So it sounds like you have your new house made already. when's your trip to Falcon? Basschamps will be next month at Falcon lake. I leave inn Laredo, Tx. about 148 miles south from where you are at.......Welcome again and I'm glad that BPS treated you good. Awsome deal on those free permits.

Welcome to Boerne. If I can help you in any way let me know, I am a boerneite.

welcome to Texas.... let me know if you need any help on any lakes in my area. I live in frisco... I fish Ray Roberts, Fork, Lewisville mostly.

You know... that is another thing I noticed here in TX, as witnessed by all the people who posted above - they sure are one heck of a friendly/helpful group of folks. I noticed that this area seems much more family oriented, and willing to help out anyone who asks for help. The folks at BPS were extremely helpful - letting me know where to go fishing, what to use locally, etc... There are the occasional non-helpful people - you just can't get away from those no matter where you go, but for the most part, Texans in this area are really nice, friendly, helpful people. Over the past 3 days, I've had to make some driving adjustments. Drivers here are very aggressive. At first, I thought they were just being a bit rude - not letting me merge in. But over the past few days I've realized that if you are aggressive also, and put your signal on, and then just start coming over, they will let you merge. Its the people who signal, hit their brakes and slow down that they don't allow to merge. :lol: . So, as long as I maintain my speed, signal, and come over, they have been courteous. Ha! Just gotta get used to it.

Tornado - that's a really nice looking lake you guys have there in Boerne! I still can't get over the water color that I've seen on most every body of water here. I'm used to tanic stained water, muddy water, black water, etc.... "decent" to "no" visibility. The water at Boerne was gin clear near the edges, slightly milky looking a few feet out (probably from the wind crashing the water into the banks), and just the nicest looking light blue color out in the lake. I've never had my boat in something that looked that clean. I was told I could put my Triton in there, but I can't use my outboard - trolling motor only. There were two guys out there yesterday in a little pond prowler boat. They waited a little while before putting it in, looking at the waves, trying to make up their mind. They must be pretty hard-core, because I don't think I would have put my pond prowler in there with the way those white-capped waves looked. At least not without a very strong trolling motor. :huh:

Kraigrrr - I'll probably be in touch when I move down here completely. Got a few more months left before my house is built and my retirement from the Navy is complete.

Tox - I'll send you some pics when I get home. I think the guest room will be to your liking. Sorry - no more double thick air mattress. The next time you stay over, there will be a new queen sized bed in the guest room.

All the best,

Glenn

A sleeping bag in the garage is just peachy for me!!:lol::lol: I ain't picky, especially with Choke Canyon nearby!!

TOXIC

Definitely! I can't wait to post some pics of you and I catching some monsters out of Choke Canyon!

All the best,

Glenn

Boerne Lake is pretty and you are right they do not allow big motors to run on it and there have been reported instances of people calling the authorities when they see a boat with a big motor, whether it has been started or not. Another interesting thing is that just about every Spring there is at least one 9lbs plus bass caught at the lake. I don't fish the lake, I am in a bass club and most of out tournaments are at Choke. Falcon and Amistad. You haven't seen clear until you see Amistad. In my opinion it is the prettiest lake in Tx.

Aren't Falcon and Amistad a long haul? I was thinking of looking for a club when I get down there. Any info you can provide would be appreciated.

All the best,

Glenn

Fslcon is about 225 miles and Amistad 150. I belong to Universal City Bass Club and we are a large family club you can see our web site at www.ucbassclub.org. You can find a lot about SA bass Cubs by looking at www.sa-metrobass.org.

If you get back to the BPS is SA check and see if I'm in I work part time in their mens department.

Jim

Latest posts

Back