Livewell

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sam Luckie

Reaction score
Is there any way to clean the livewell that will not kill the fish next time I put some in there? I have caught quite a few crappie lately and have left them in the well until I get home before cleaning them. I have rinsed the well out with fresh water and allowed it to air dry in the garage. Still seems to have that fishy smell. I wonder if baking soda and water would do the trick without harming future catches.

Sam, baking soda should do the trick. I have used it for years to clean my wells, works great

I use dilluted Vinegar haven't had a problem yet. Hose the livewell down first, then fill it up with a little vinegar, let it sit for an hour, then drain and rince.

Be happy with a fishy livewell. Thinkin' about turning mine into an on board cooler. LOL

Like you I don't like fishy livewell, especially if the odor in the recirc pump don't get fixed, smells like sewer. I use any soft, bio-degradeable dish soap. Also add a touch of vineager to stop the hardwater build up in the pipes. I build a good head of foam allow it to soak and run it through all pipes, recicr and pump out. Do it pretty often, thrying to keep down all these bia hazards from one lake to another.

Vanilla Extract works good too......just pour some in and let it sit with the lids closed.......next time you go fishing, just let the wells fill and pump it out. Read that once a long time ago in B'Master Mag.

I think that you may want to stop in your local pet shop and see what is available for fish tank cleaning.

There is a product made by python that works well and is completely fish safe.

i'll have to try the Vanilla Extract Mac! Maybe use some spices too and then for Crappie the fish are already SEASONED!!!

Wish I had heard about that a few years ago when I left my boat sitting out in the summer sun for a week..... covered..... with a bluegill in the livewell..... and no water.....

Latest posts

Back