Livewell drain Z18 2020

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Beal

Reaction score
I am new to bass boats but not new to fishing, I have a question on the drain at the bottom of the livewell, does this drain into the hull of the boat? Is there a way to keep the livewell dry? I don’t fish tournaments and do catch and release, the live well will takes on 3-6” water every time I put the boat in and I suspect that is from the screen intake on the back of the boat. I recently noticed more water in the hull after I use the boat and wondering where that water could be coming in from? That being said the water in the livewell does not seem to drain out until I pump out once the boat is raised on the lift. that little bit of water does not drain out and will be there next weekend.

My concern is the amount of water I pump out of the hull, I checked the drain and it is fitting tight, it Pumped out a fair bit of water for 30-40 seconds

thanks

020C0A45-347F-4722-92A5-D3F79B581A86.jpeg

your livewell has an overflow drain which is connected to a port on the stern. when you put the motor in reverse water can/will flow up this drain an into the livewell but if you leave the valve on the starboard side of the boat next to the driver's seat the livewell will drain & not fill up. I'm not aware of any way to keep that small amount of water in the bottom of the livewell out unless you never go in reverse. The live well does not drain into the bilge so there should be no issue with that small amount of water in the drain lines

I know your pain. I too was hoping to be able to use my Z18 livewells as "dry space" storage. Whatever I tried there was always some water getting in. The only thing I haven't tried yet is to make an external plug for the overflow exit hole on the transom.

I am going to try an external plug to see if I can’t prevent water from getting in. Just don’t need the livewells when all I do is catch and release.

Have the same problem with my 2021 Z19 Sport. I’ve seen times when the live well was dry at the beginning of the day, small amounts of water in it part way into the day. Without any backing up. I always leave the drain plug out. I probably should put the drain plug in and see how much water does go into the live well over the course of a day on the water. Since I just do catch and release I don’t use the live well

.... used to use something like this.

Attachments

• attwood-livewell-plug-1242447-1.jpg
    attwood-livewell-plug-1242447-1.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 4
Water can come in through the live well drain or overflow when you back up or when the boat slows down or comes to a stop. As the boat stops there is a "following" wave. You can reduce this by giving the throttle a little push as the boat settles down to out run the wave. Otherwise, I think inserting plugs in all the transom holes is the solution.

I am going to try an external plug to see if I can’t prevent water from getting in. Just don’t need the livewells when all I do is catch and release.
Michael,
Just a thought here about catch and release. I commend you for doing that but- there are times that you may want to consider holding a few fish in your livewell, until you are done in an area, rather than release them immediately. I'm convinced that there are times when you will kill the bite by returning a fish or two immediately to mix with others in a particular area. Somehow released fish let the others know of extreme danger.

Probably will go with a drain plug also. Can always use the livewell as a cooler too. Nothing wrong with keeping some fish to eat just don’t do that very often. If I catch a brown or rainbow trout by chance in the spring they make a nice supper.

This was a big help. I bought a project boat and need to replace the tranhsom. Going the "Liquid Transom" route. Look it up if nyones hs the same problem. Could not figure out easily what the second drain opering was on the back. Now I know. Any reasone you could not just but a plug in from t
Michael,
Just a thought here about catch and release. I commend you for doing that but- there are times that you may want to consider holding a few fish in your livewell, until you are done in an area, rather than release them immediately. I'm convinced that there are times when you will kill the bite by returning a fish or two immediately to mix with others in a particular area. Somehow released fish let the others know of extreme danger.
Michael,

ditto that! Especially smallies! They go right back where they came from and bad mouth the heck out of you to all thier fiends.!

schiolan,
Don't forget that is the drain port if you forget and leave your livewell adding water. I'm not sure exacly where the excess water will go since I've never plugged mine, but- water will fall inside the boat if it can't escape through that drail. I have, from time to time, forgotten and left the "fill"running.....

I disconnected the hose from the drain outlet in the stern (leaving a small section of hose). I bought a plug for the hose and installed it on the short section left at the stern. No water coming in that way. Leave the drain hole in the live well open in case any water comes in through another way (rain if your hatch isn't watertight). It will drain into the bilge for you to pump out.

Latest posts

Back